mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone have an opinion of what will be the better experience? or shich is the intended experience?

i understand that it can work either way, just curious thoughts on how to approach it.

thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I waited for the whole cycle to come out before I started playing so I could build decks from the whole player card pool. There are lots of great 0XP cards in the Mythos packs and I didn't want to spend XP to get them in my deck, which I'd have had to do if I added the mythos pack cards to the pool when I started a new scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I waited until I had the whole cycle also, but instead introduced cards as I came to that scenario to mimic the serial nature of the packs as they came out for the first game. It does have the disadvantage of having you pay for 0 XP cards from later mythos packs, but I like the novelty of opening a new pack for each scenario as you come to them.

Subsequent plays of the cycle I have the whole card pool available from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm for adding all cards to the pool. The other approach doesn't make much sense, 0 from later packs will be useless. And it's always better to have more options when building your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the "intended" way is to use all available cards. This gives you more options for deckbuilding. That's what I do, because otherwise lvl0 cards in later mythos packs of a cycle wouldn't get used.

Although the first time I played Dunwich I only used cards from the core and Dunwich cycles, even though I had most of the Carcosa cycle already, because otherwise I felt overwhelmed with possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
I believe the "intended" way is to use all available cards. This gives you more options for deckbuilding. That's what I do, because otherwise lvl0 cards in later mythos packs of a cycle wouldn't get used.

Although the first time I played Dunwich I only used cards from the core and Dunwich cycles, even though I had most of the Carcosa cycle already, because otherwise I felt overwhelmed with possibilities.

I definitely don't plan to add anything from the next cycle for the first time through.

I wonder what kind of difficulty adjustment would be appropriate when giving yourself access to more cards at the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming AH follows the same pattern as The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, they design all the player cards in the mythos cycle at once. There is no game related reason to withhold player cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely no game related reason, it's just a bit of fun I like to do to capture the serial nature of the releases. I know some other foll do this too, but no reason to if you don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Assuming AH follows the same pattern as The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, they design all the player cards in the mythos cycle at once. There is no game related reason to withhold player cards.

Now, yes. When the set first came out, are you supposed to wait six months to play? Organized play tends to focus on new and shiny, they aren’t going to wait either.

We are playing with the core and the initial box cards, adding in the others as we work through the cycle. Progressive revelation, baby. If that means we miss a couple of cards, whatever. With two players you’re going to miss cards anyway.

I’ll also note that there are ways to get zero exp cards into your hand without spending XP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I think the intended method is to make cards available as you progress in the story. It was highlighted in a designer interview when dunwhich was first being shown. In the first mythos pack there is a card that has you test mind in order to draw two cards. If you succeed you're breaking even on action economy and if you fail you're behind. It also says "mark that you've successfully tested the formula" or something like that if you succeed. It doesn't tell you what that means. You just have to see if something interacts with it later.

The deck building is more open with all the cards, but the story shows in what cards are added in each mythos pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.