BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Who is your Gaming Archnemesis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason DiGennaro
South Korea
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm pretty good at games, and although winning isn't nearly as important to me as having a good time with good people, I do win a lot. In fact, I started noticing that I almost always win, regardless of the game or group. Except at home, that is.

At home, my wife beats the pants off me at every game I bring to the table. I try different strategies, and just when I think I've actually broken the streak, we count up VPs and again, it's not very often even close. This is a blessing in disguise, though, as she really, really likes to win, and this improves the odds of me getting more games to the table more often.

Any of you have someone in a gaming group or at home that seems to always get the better of you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Demar! He just thinks mathematically, on another level. We all agree on this point, that he is just evil. I play with great players on the whole, we are all really solid, but this guy...let's just say when I beat him, I do remember it, it is special for me cause I have had to fight very hard. Twice I have beaten him in games where it was my first time, including Glory to Rome. I feel validated as a gamer when this happens, and that I have leveled up.

Amazing guy too! Really really quiet and nice! And he plays the long game, very understated too, like he may not look like he is winning...until he crushes the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
All I want to do when i wake up in the morning is see your eyes. Roseanna, Roseanna. I never thought a girl like you could ever care for me.
badge
Just got back from the down town Palais where the music was so sweet it knocked me right back in the alley, I'm ready. Yea, yea, yea, I'm ready. Wo, Wo, wo, I'm ready, and I'm really gonna rock tonight.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the wife. I estimate that my ratio of her wins to mine stands at around 10-1 or so. I have yet to beat her at Terraforming Mars or Kingsburg, and almost never at Splendor. Plus, trying any new game against her is dangerous. She loves to play the ever-so-innocent " I'm just gonna do whatever because I don't know what I'm doing" card, but at the end it's usually "I won? Really?" My wife is a game shark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My archnemesis is gravity. Even when I am gaming it won't let me be.

Pete (fights a losing battle)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bradlee
United States
Bolton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a guy named Adam in our group (no, not Adam or Adam) who is my bluffing game archnemesis, and we are basically completely at odds with each other in Sheriff of Nottingham. He's as close as I've got to an archnemesis, especially since I can see through his nice guy routine in a number of games (even if I can't read his bluffs at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Newman!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once betrayed my friend in A Game of Thrones and now her sole objective in every game we play is to destroy me, even if that means she doesn't win...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathieu Hotton
France
TOURS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

He's the man. If I beat him then I've gotten quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My best friend. His name is Karl. Whenever we meet in our gaming group the main task is to beat Karl, or be at least 1 victorypoint better than Karl.

His brain is just made for complex board games and he tends to win 7 out of 10 rounds no matter which game (if luck is mostly excluded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jethro
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Really don't mind if you sit this one out
mbmb
HortonHearsAWho wrote:
I once betrayed my friend in A Game of Thrones and now her sole objective in every game we play is to destroy me, even if that means she doesn't win...

That is so stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWhistler1967 wrote:
HortonHearsAWho wrote:

That is so stupid.

Some players hold grudges over several games. I don´t understand it, really. But it´s pretty funny when you´re not involved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWhistler1967 wrote:
HortonHearsAWho wrote:

That is so stupid.

Eh, it's fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
Bleu, Blanc, Rouge: Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité.
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with a guy who gloats when he wins, and he wins all the time. I hate playing against him but he's the only player of have regular contact with. You know the type, always one step ahead like they know what you're thinking and then bam, your plan falls over and the game is lost, followed by a victory ritual designed to strike at the heart. Oh the life of a solo gamer and his nemesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone playing Diplomacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheWhistler1967 wrote:
HortonHearsAWho wrote:

That is so stupid.

Agreed. Betraying your friends is just not good form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an opposite story. Whenever I ally with a certain friend, we tend to do badly.

It all started with an old C64 game (Wizard of Wor if anyone is ancient enough to have heard of it), where you can either play as a team against the monsters or against each other (but still score as a team for the monsters for some odd reason). Our high score came in an epic game where we played against each other but were too busy shooting monsters to have time to shoot each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pea Bunny
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Eh, What's up Doc?
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
Yeah, the wife. I estimate that my ratio of her wins to mine stands at around 10-1 or so. I have yet to beat her at Terraforming Mars or Kingsburg, and almost never at Splendor. Plus, trying any new game against her is dangerous. She loves to play the ever-so-innocent " I'm just gonna do whatever because I don't know what I'm doing" card, but at the end it's usually "I won? Really?" My wife is a game shark.

It's a good card to play. Sounds like your wife is a wicked awesome lady.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pea Bunny
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Eh, What's up Doc?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say I don't have a specific person per se, but rather type of person as a nemesis. I think people who play just to mess up the game and don't actually care if they win throw off the dynamic of the game. It can still be fun but I'd prefer if they actually tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Who is your Gaming Archnemesis?
This guy Bryan Thunkd. He always does the stupidest things in games and completely messes me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two nemeses that I just don't seem able to beat in strategy games.

The charming Dr Kev, who has an annoyingly persuasive manner (as opposed to me shrieking "NO DON'T TRUST HIS SMOOTH LIES!" at the rest of the table). He basically wields other players as his weapons, like a master puppeteer.

And
John Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
who is consistently always one step ahead of me. The worst part is that I'll figure out his plans but always a moment too late, then have to endure his evil cackling as my inevitable defeat approaches. Classic Bond villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:
This guy Bryan Thunkd. He always does the stupidest things in games and completely messes me up.

You really should do something about that guy. He's a nuisance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Quote:

You really should do something about that guy. He's a nuisance.
I’ve tried, but I just can’t seem to shake him. (Trust me, he annoys me far more than he’ll ever annoy you.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. "I pity the fool" T
United States
Jefferson County (close enough)
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself. I am my own worst enemy. I love playing games but I rarely win. My brain just doesn't work that way. Strategy? No clue. In fact, I try to always be the last person to take a turn so that I can watch what the other players are doing and try to figure out why. I might then have a chance at not coming in so far behind everyone else that it is embarrassing. And yet, I love to play. I play for the fun, for the time spent with people I enjoy being with, for the laughter. Because that is what GAMES are for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one woman who refused to play Century: Spice Road because it involved "slavery" because apparently that and Mombasa are both equally offensive potentially.shake

EDIT: worked over my grammar and yes this actually happened and it annoyed me so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I really have that 1 archnemesis, but I may be that guy to someone. He doesn't do a lot of gaming, but we like abstracts. He knows that I see things that he doesn't & he knows that I set traps for him. At this point, I have psychological warfare as a passive benefit. If I make a sub-optimal move, then he gets really nervous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.