Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Some solo strategy questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vinny B
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Do you ever put off dispatching the second city? I've got almost a dozen solo conquests under my belt, and thanks to a few good strategy guides have been getting in the 200 +/- ~15 range pretty consistently. In the last 3, I've managed to finish midway through Day 3 (after having dealt with city #1 on Night 2). My last game, though, I with a surprisingly low 84 fame (--> 186 total), and was left wondering whether it's ever a good idea to derp around doing other stuff.

Another unrelated question: I was initially jumping through a lot of hoops trying to control the dummy's mid-round card & crystal additions, but I've stopped bothering at all and have noticed very little difference. Has anyone actually mathed this out? Nothing I've read so far has even made mention of it as a consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for doing "other stuff", I do think it's important to level up as much as possible before assaulting a city. Skills and larger hand sizes are invaluable.

This is not to say that you need to enter every dungeon you run into, you do need to pick and choose which "other stuff" will help you the most. Interestingly, I find that more cards is not always better, you need to try to acquire cards which work well with your skills and units. Sometimes a basic Move 2 action card can be more useful than an Artifact or a Spell.

As for the dummy, I've never actively tried to manipulate it, but my sense is that it shouldn't make too much difference. Losing an extra 1 or 2 turns in the last night usually isn't too significant. I think the main point is to prevent you from crystal mining or dumping all your wounds at a magic glade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
msg tools
mbmb
Are you trying to max your score? If that's the case, I would bump the difficulty of the cities up, try 8/8 first.

I've only gotten 200+ once with a 5/8 setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny B
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Rob132 wrote:
Are you trying to max your score?
I don't just like big numbers for their own sake--the score is just a tool of comparison between puzzle attempts. To change the puzzle constraints is to recalibrate that tool. It's like suggesting someone improve their sportsball scores by extending their games by 10 extra minutes.

Then again, I probably should start raising the city levels, to make "winning" meaningful again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.