Hide
3 Posts

Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Easiest character for beginner. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Tutt
msg tools
My gaming group is about to start this next week. I kickstarteded the first edition but we have been busy playing through Descent 2e with the RTL app and never got around to playing it.

I am looking for some of the easiest characters that might have less bookkeeping. The purpose for this is one particular player in our group, that is a great guy and a fun addition to our group, has more difficulty keeping track of stats and abilities than the rest of our group does so I was hoping that there might be a character that would be easier to understand and less to keep track of? Or are most of the characters about the same for the amount of abilities and such to keep track of?

I had backed the full 1st edition so have access to all expansion characters as well.

*edited for less harshness*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gazery Pooh

Keighley
West Yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*Can I start by saying everything I type is intended to be helpful and I whole-heartedly appologise if it comes across as disrespectful or ignorant or anything else, towards you, your group or your friend. That is not my intention, I am just trying to answer your question as I understand it. I also assume you are not being offensive to him, just trying to be genuinely helpful to him. And so I thoroughly applaud you and your friends as such games can be difficult to play.*

Off the top of my head, I would say that characters that are melee focussed would be best as it means he would only need to focus on one tactic - get close to an enemy and attack. Ranged means you need to check line of sight and keep track of ammo. Whilst magic adds all sorts of extra rules to different things.

All characters have Abilities and Items (and Inate Abilities, and Companions, and Heirlooms, and World Events, and Road/Off-Road Events, and Rituals, and Prayers, and Status Effects, and Game Effects, and Career Path ,and Upgrades, and ...!) that will add minor benefits to various rolls and these can get confusing and easily forgotten. I wouldn't make any big deal over this and perhaps give him an adjusted target number from what you know his modifiers are. For example, if he attacks a Creature with a defense of 46, but he has a weapon which adds +3, a Passive ability that adds +5 and a bonus from a team-mate which adds +5; then just tell him he needs to roll 33 or higher, rather than roll and add the modifiers.

When it comes to using Abilities or other things that are 'optional' it might be best you give him the option if he would like to use them rather than expect him to remember which he can use. And tell him which ones he can use.

For 'situational Abilites' (like Avenging Madman's Environmental Slaughter Ability) it would be best to remind him when he can use them.

You probably already know and understand all this though, so I am sorry for telling you things you know!

So main Melee Characters are:

Archeologist (has semi-ranged Whip)
Avenging Madman
Butcher
Courtesan
Illusionist (has ranged Ability)
Slayer
Woodsman

But my main vote would go for:

Avenging Madman, because he CANNOT use Ranged Weapons, Rituals or Prayers, has a simple 'ignore damage' Ability and a very cool 'Rip-the-arm-off-the-corpse-of-one-I-just-killed-and-throw-it-at-another-creature' Ability!!!

Hope you get this to work and all of you enjoy it.

Gazery

I will end repeating that I appologise if I have caused any offense or over-stepped the mark with anything I have said here. That is not my intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tutt
msg tools
This was not offensive and exactly the type of input I was looking for. I kind of figured melee would work best and the Avenging Madman was one of my top picks. Thank you very much.

Every member of our group has known each other since about 1st grade and we are in our mid 30s now, so we are quite comfortable with each other. We are here just to have fun playing some games and socialize. If proved to be too difficult for some we can easily just play something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.