Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I first have to say that I am not into sleeving, but I need to for Terraforming Mars. I don't like shiny sleeves that make the cards glare in the light. I would like sleeves that stack well and shuffle well also. Any recommendations for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Terraforming Mars uses "Standard" size (the same almost all of the big collectible card games, like Magic, or all the LCGs, use).

That's good, because there are plenty great sleeves available at this size.

What you are looking for, if you want great quality, is "premium sleeves". Those are the ones used in professional CCG tournaments. They are sturdy and shuffle really well. If you are not used to playing with sleeved cards, it will probably feel odd for a while (and your card stacks might shift around and fall over, because new sleeves are kinda slick). It will settle in. Don't worry about that. Just handle them with care, you will get used to it.

For shuffling, there are a couple of things you should keep in mind, and a few methods that work very well. There are some very good videos on youtube about that. Here's one for starters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVABY_a6IQ

I, personally, use UltraPro Deck Protectors (Clear) for all my games with that size, unless you have double-sided cards (i.e. with game information on both sides), in which case I prefer Dragon Shield (Clear), since the UltraPro have a small circular foil stamp on one side. But the UltraPro price tag is fairly reasonable for the quality they offer, and the fit is very good. And they have decades of experience. Dragon Shields are the most expensive sleeves around, as far as I know.

Other great companies for standard size sleeves include KMC or Ultimate Guard.

I would say, all of these four offer superb quality.

All of these premium sleeves will be pricey, though. They are called premium for a reason. Quality costs. So, expect something around $5-10 for 100 sleeves.

If you get sleeves, get them all in one order, because sometimes there are tiny differences in sizes, when you compare different production runs. If you get them all at once, they will likely be from the same production run (especially, if you order from a place with a lot of throughput, like, any of the big names).

Hope this helps!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Looks like Terraforming Mars uses "Standard" size (the same almost all of the big collectible card games, like Magic, or all the LCGs, use).

That's good, because there are plenty great sleeves available at this size.

What you are looking for, if you want great quality, is "premium sleeves". Those are the ones used in professional CCG tournaments. They are sturdy and shuffle really well. If you are not used to playing with sleeved cards, it will probably feel odd for a while (and your card stacks might shift around and fall over, because new sleeves are kinda slick). It will settle in. Don't worry about that. Just handle them with care, you will get used to it.

For shuffling, there are a couple of things you should keep in mind, and a few methods that work very well. There are some very good videos on youtube about that. Here's one for starters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVABY_a6IQ

I, personally, use UltraPro Deck Protectors (Clear) for all my games with that size, unless you have double-sided cards (i.e. with game information on both sides), in which case I prefer Dragon Shield (Clear), since the UltraPro have a small circular foil stamp on one side. But the UltraPro price tag is fairly reasonable for the quality they offer, and the fit is very good. And they have decades of experience. Dragon Shields are the most expensive sleeves around, as far as I know.

Other great companies for standard size sleeves include KMC or Ultimate Guard.

I would say, all of these four offer superb quality.

All of these premium sleeves will be pricey, though. They are called premium for a reason. Quality costs. So, expect something around $5-10 for 100 sleeves.

If you get sleeves, get them all in one order, because sometimes there are tiny differences in sizes, when you compare different production runs. If you get them all at once, they will likely be from the same production run (especially, if you order from a place with a lot of throughput, like, any of the big names).

Hope this helps!

Bye
Thanee
What about those that I hear about that have a matte finish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UltraPro have sleeves that use a matte finish. I don't use the Pro Fit ones as that is their penny sleeve versions, and I tend to wear those out. The circle on the bottom has been lightened recently, and I just have it on the back of the card anyway. These are my default sleeves unless I need a different size. I've bought thousands of them, and I can't recall an issue.

100 Ultra Pro CLEAR PRO-MATTE Deck Protectors Sleeves Standard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you really play it that often that the cards will wear down? I think even with a 100 plays they won't show wear. And that's a lot of plays for a 40 Euro game. You can buy a new one after a 100 plays

Magic the gathering players sleeve mostly because most single cards cost more then a board game and cards are shuffled, handled, abused so frequently that it just doesn't compare to boardgames. Even if you play TM every day it will not undergo the same abuse.

That said if you play it with a bunch of pigs that spill drink and eat greasy food, sure sleeve them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
UltraPro have sleeves that use a matte finish. I don't use the Pro Fit ones as that is their penny sleeve versions, and I tend to wear those out. The circle on the bottom has been lightened recently, and I just have it on the back of the card anyway. These are my default sleeves unless I need a different size. I've bought thousands of them, and I can't recall an issue.

100 Ultra Pro CLEAR PRO-MATTE Deck Protectors Sleeves Standard
This is what I bought. Thanks. Does that little dot go in the front or back of the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
This is what I bought. Thanks. Does that little dot go in the front or back of the card?

Unless they've wised up and made both sides matte since I last bought these, one side of the sleeve is matte (with the little dot) and the other is shiny; the matte with dot goes on the front of the card.

Thankfully Ultra Pro has finally made their dot mostly transparent in recent years; used to be you could only use their sleeves on certain games (and then only if you didn't mind a shiny holographic dot shining at you from every card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
keso55 wrote:

Unless they've wised up and made both sides matte since I last bought these, one side of the sleeve is matte (with the little dot) and the other is shiny; the matte with dot goes on the front of the card.

Thankfully Ultra Pro has finally made their dot mostly transparent in recent years; used to be you could only use their sleeves on certain games (and then only if you didn't mind a shiny holographic dot shining at you from every card).
I wondered about that. The store told me to use the other side, now I need to change all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
I wondered about that. The store told me to use the other side, now I need to change all the cards.

I mean if you like the shiny side you can of course use whichever you prefer.

But yeah, if you want matte it's the side with the dot. I've never understood why they only made one side matte on these cards; the same brand with solid color backs have matte backs and fronts, but the clear ones are shiny on the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.