22 Posts

Darklight: Memento Mori» Forums » Variants

Subject: Houserules Collection Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Just to create a place for all of us to write down the issue and purpose for specific houserules. So that all of us get to know what might work and what not in terms of breaking the Game too much with using Houserules.

My house rules so far would be:

Boss Endurance (not balanced imo for ordinary board gamers playing casually, that just dont max out gear and all possibilities the Game might offer to overcome such great armour values)

Houserule:
Whenever dealing more than 4 (could be also put in relation to Group level and amount of players) Wounds to a boss with one single attack you also damage his armor significantly and permanently reduce his Armor Value by 1 (can be done by each Accursed once per Activation until Armor reaches same amount as Group level)

Using Accursed Heart Uses
For mitigating the luck during Skill Tests or Journey Cards and get a better grip on strategy and outcome calculation.

Houserule
Each Accursed Heart Use can not only be used by the Group for healing/ressurecting a fallen accursed but also to change a rolled die by 1 so a rolled 5 can become a 6 and let you succeed a test by spending 1 Heart Uses token. Same goes for Journey Cards. (Accursed Heart uses will stay in play until reaching a settlement so every not spend Heart Use can be used during travel phase to mitigate some Bad outcomes by just spending one token per dice (each die can be changed only once) to change the rolled result by +1)

Hope it is clear that those are houserules and not playtested enough to ensure that all game mechanics will work properly by using them. But maybe we find it out by trying them!

Give me your input on what you want to change or add to make this Game more or less the perfect Crawler you want it to be.

Cheers and thanks for reading! (Any suggestions or changes with an explanation why, i would highly welcome)

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zachary rucker
msg tools
I like these. I'll probably keep playing 'officially', but these look very suitable to someone who's having a hard time. Great work as always, Peter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you for your kind words! Appreciated!

All the best
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed Peter =
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Diani
msg tools
mbmb
holylein wrote:

Houserule:
Whenever dealing more than 4 (could be also put in relation to Group level and amount of players) Wounds to a boss with one single attack you also damage his armor significantly and permanently reduce his Armor Value by 1 (can be done by each Accursed once per Activation until Armor reaches same amount as Group level)

Peter

Interesting... Hope to try it soon

about the heart uses, I use them also in the journey and in the city to re-roll a dice roll (NOT dread roll), but I replenish the heart uses a the beginning of the journey (they have to last until the next dungeon when I refresh them again)

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Arvidsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
We're using a different set of house rules, but mainly to just ease the transition of being a lv 1 to something better.

Boss Endurance: Max 5x average player level
This means that on lv1 we will not fight the brick walls of end 9 bosses. I know there are strats out there involving mainly spellcasting that works, but we like to have all options available to us, not play a certain way.

Accursed Heart: Can be used during travels to avoid permanent death. Start next dungeon with less uses. So basically, the harder the travels are, the higher the chances are of the next dungeon being harsher to clear.

Injury Roll: Rolling 12 on injury is no longer permadeath, but instead you get double the injuries. So roll twice instead. This can still mean that rolling multiple 12's will kill you permanently, but we liked to nerf it a bit.

Also feels like all of our rules works thematically so don't see a problem there either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thanks for the tread!

I have also been thinking about the possibility in the future to have the Grim Warden being tied to you upon your permanent death in order to bring you back, but only early ideas for now, any suggestions are also welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon marshall
United Kingdom
glasgow
glasgow
flag msg tools
I was considering allowing 'petition the grey warden' on a permadeath.

Basically you offer him a lot of souls to save you. That seems to make thematic sense.

However I'm not yet far enough into the game to be sure of a balanced number of souls. Possibly your level x 10 immediately, or, if you don't have them at that point when you die, then your level x 15 to be paid as soon as you have them(but if you get another permadeath before you can gather enough souls the grey warden gives up on you and you are gone!)

What do people think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
I would say 20 (or only 15) souls per lvl and accursed in party during death if immediately (so 4 Player party is 80 souls for lvl 1 Accursed) or 10 souls at the end of Dungeon per lvl and per number of accursed in party during death but only if successfully beating the dungeon.

Or you can make it a Marker of how good the Group is by naming it something like Deathmeter and you get to count it once per death and depending on the number you have to pay 30times the price: first death is 30 souls second death would be 60 souls and third 90 etc.

Might be worth a second thought!

Cheers
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simonmarshall1x wrote:
I was considering allowing 'petition the grey warden' on a permadeath.

Basically you offer him a lot of souls to save you. That seems to make thematic sense.

However I'm not yet far enough into the game to be sure of a balanced number of souls. Possibly your level x 10 immediately, or, if you don't have them at that point when you die, then your level x 15 to be paid as soon as you have them(but if you get another permadeath before you can gather enough souls the grey warden gives up on you and you are gone!)

What do people think?

By 'buying off' permadeath, you're pretty much negating the fear factor of permadeath.

I mean I like it and I still prefer it from losing my character without any chance of getting him back, but what if acquiring a character's life back was a risk on it's own? (a second chance but not so easily handed)
(this won't be very original but please bear with me laugh )

So what if after you died here, your character entered a new spirit-realm dungeon, where you had to make it out alive or had to collect a certain number of souls in that single venture to regain your life?
This could just be another random dungeon or perhaps even an entirely new minigame with fixed features, to offer some more consistent odds.
Made it? Here is your character. Lost here too? NOW it's permadeath!

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Just two thoughts:

First if after death souls can Rebuy your Life its okay for the amount of souls needed will be quite a nice sum after some deaths and since you have to pay in souls every accursed has to carry his share for they will be lost when dying so the remaining accursed will have to use their Soul to Rebuy your character (without any Soul to help the Group after another death occcurs).
So the Game would still be punishing but i can See why its against the nature of the game.

And second your suggestion is quite cool. I would take the reverse side of a large dungeon Tile Set up your character on the far side and He has to Beat one single encounter card as a solo variant with just the faith/source he had while dying in the first Realbrainstormfor a quick solo battle but if its still fun after some deaths i dont know i mean the rebuying with souls variant seems more Fluid to the Gameflow but we would have to playtest if a Prepared encountercard battle after every death is still fun after 10th death.
(Sounds pretty cool on paper but could be quite repetitive during actual gameplay you know?)

Just my own thoughts - trying to help with brainstorming. :-)

Greetings
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Arvidsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Quote:
I have also been thinking about the possibility in the future to have the Grim Warden being tied to you upon your permanent death in order to bring you back, but only early ideas for now, any suggestions are also welcome

I'm not sure this game needs an escape from permanent death, i think it's more that people feel a bit cheated in some encounters where there's little or no skill involved. Double 6's on injury, random events during a long journey, enemies you can't even injure with current eq/skills and no way to flee from.

Most games offers a way to retreat, regroup and retry - but in this game a bad luck event card or dice roll can instantly kill you sometimes. I think most or all of us are fine with dying in combat as long as you have a chance to kill your enemies and permadeath is a good way to punish our faults. Learn and prosper another day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Smecca
msg tools
Hi guys...

Here the house rulewe are using.

1) Consider also armor on monster crits. I don't know how it will be at high lvl but for now it's pretty good. Consider that I am playing with the excorcist (the highest armor equipped accursed of the group) and I died two times the last dungoeun cause two crits of libithin with perk that you can't evade crits. High armor items are very expensive and don't grant evasion so you have to choose between evasion or armor. I think is good enough! I think you can still die on crits with high armor items.

2) Half the days of the journeys. We think 8 days for travel is to much but there is still the problem that with the bad journey card you can die in a moment.

3)The permanent death of the journey or event is just a normal death. To die permanently you must die 4 times between dungeoun and journey. You can die permanently if you meet the Grim Warden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jernej peter
Slovenia
flag msg tools
You Can't Take the Sky from Me
mbmbmbmb
Our house rules for easier/less complicated game are:

- Successes on tests are 6 and 5 on the dice

- If you die, you are resurrected with a cursed heart, or by loosing half of the sols that were required to level up to current level. If you do not have enough sols you drop one level and gain half the sols that were required to level up (it sound complicated but its not 😊). If you run out of sols you are permanent dead.

- Our markets have all the equipment available all the time

- We can evade and tumble from critical hits

- For now we do not include monsters perks, but this will change when we master all the rules

- We are trying to add stamina token to the fights. When you spend stamina token (or maybe two) on an attack, you can add extra dice when you roll for damage. Hopefully this will make fights shorter and more tactical (you will have to decide if you want to spend stamina for evasion or attack)

regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
agresivc wrote:
Our house rules for easier/less complicated game are:

- If you die, you are resurrected with a cursed heart, or by loosing half of the sols that were required to level up to current level. If you do not have enough sols you drop one level and gain half the sols that were required to level up (it sound complicated but its not 😊). If you run out of sols you are permanent dead.

- We are trying to add stamina token to the fights. When you spend stamina token (or maybe two) on an attack, you can add extra dice when you roll for damage. Hopefully this will make fights shorter and more tactical (you will have to decide if you want to spend stamina for evasion or attack)

regards

Very clever suggestions! I like the token tweak giving you the choice between Safe bet and evading/tumble or getting more damage when you will need it (like a focused attack) very interesting here!

The death rule seems also quite cool for you can permanently die but more likely will just drop one Level. (Which is more or less the same punishment as permadeath - at least for the first moment)

By the way it is no houserule you can evade or Tumble crits via regular rules. :-) (only your armor value is just endurance value without item Bonus when getting hit by a crit)

Thanks for sharing!
Sounds worth trying!
Cheers
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Kaine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
agresivc wrote:
We are trying to add stamina token to the fights. When you spend stamina token (or maybe two) on an attack, you can add extra dice when you roll for damage. Hopefully this will make fights shorter and more tactical (you will have to decide if you want to spend stamina for evasion or attack)

My play group is going to steal this one. I like it. Basically, it gives everyone a decision after he/she is either hit by an attack, or hits with an attack.

If you're hit, you must decide to evade or tumble. If you are causing the hit, you must decide if you want to add a stamina for 1d6 more damage.

I would say, though, that a player cannot sacrifice movement to get a stamina back and then also use a stamina to increase damage by 1d6 in the same turn. This would ensure that a player must think really long and hard before spending precious stamina to do more damage.

Just my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jernej peter
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JakobBGG wrote:

I would say, though, that a player cannot sacrifice movement to get a stamina back and then also use a stamina to increase damage by 1d6 in the same turn. This would ensure that a player must think really long and hard before spending precious stamina to do more damage.

Just my thoughts.

Great suggestion. Now we have to figure it out, how many stamina you have to spend for one additional attack die. Just one stamina for one die could be too powerful. Have to test it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Initially (2 years ago), most tests could be passed on a 5+ but it was considered too easy, so it became on every 6 which is too hard.
2. Evade used to be: spend 1 stamina and roll a die for every point of agility. For every 3+ you receive 1 less damage. Current rule kind of translates to same for every 4+ but takes away the rolling.
3. Criticals used to be armour-damage, but then became endurance-damage because in higher levels the game was too easy for tanky characters. Also, you could evade and tumble them as normal hits iirc..
Again, the game was easier for veterans but then became harder for starters.
My point is, I find the old rules more intuitive and player friendly, generally. They might have been making the game easier at times, but since death never stopped awaiting in every corner, what's the difference?
After all, being able to make a build that can eventually break the game, is the essence of most rpg/hack-n-slash games and even here, each class should have access to at least one! But still:
> If impenetrable armour is a problem, make it super heavy, combine it with a penalty on initiative, tumbling, less movement or smaller chance-to-hit.
> If too much evasion, high damage dealing and high initiative is a problem, make the characters even more squishy. (Basically, suggesting a modification of some of the items' or heroes' printed stats, instead of the old rules)

- As for my spirit-realm idea, you might as well scratch it off.. It is a nice idea but would make things more messy, indeed!
Losing already gained XP (souls) is a much more practical solution which is still thematic and punishing imo, so I'd vote for that!

PS. This is not ranting! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
agresivc wrote:
JakobBGG wrote:

Just my thoughts.

Great suggestion. Now we have to figure it out, how many stamina you have to spend for one additional attack die. Just one stamina for one die could be too powerful. Have to test it...

And what about using the skipped movement Phase for a "focused attack" action since you didnt move it would be thematically for the accursed took aim or stood his ground and used his sourroundings for a better foothold and lever on his next attack.

So if not moving either gain 1 stamina or Focus your attack. (That would also mean Focus is possible even if stamina is full and i am totally fine with that for the accursed is fresh and full of Power its also thematic and He has then the most stamina tokens left to add as much as he wants to his next attack)

So if focusing add 1D6 for every Stamina spend to your attack dice Pool and after rolling discard the lowest damage dice (same number as tokens used)
Would be strong but not overpowered and it would still let you choose between gaining stamina for Tumble/evade or a more focused attack.

It will make things easier especially for the Ranged chars i admit you that but i mean a Ranger unthreatened and aiming for his prey is something that should hurt his target.
And besides its no additional damage its just a higher Chance on max damage output.

Cheers
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Beaton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm playing with 2 accursed and intend to just play in all future games, but finding it quite hard at times. I've started the campaign and am working through the second dungeon and have finally found the final quest room, but have yet to randomly draw the boss (another issue I'm having).

The house rules I'm testing at the moment are:
- New accursed can pick 2 level 1 skills to keep instead of 1, but only level 1 skills
- Stamina regain after giving up movement phase is 2 points instead of 1
- Attribute tests are successful on 5 or 6
- Chest tokens are always shuffled back in (possessed chests included)
- The range of a spell can be increased by 1 square overriding the range stated on the spell card. To do so, spend a remaining source token and roll 1D6 - on a 5 or 6 suffer 1 source burn.

I'm running with the Black Knight and Blood Witch, but finding the range of 4 for the BW spell limiting as opposed to the ranged monsters, having to give up a stamina regain or attach phase just to get into range.

In terms of campaign house rules
- Travel is half number of days rounded up
- Either story dungeons can be escaped from when it's a random boss draw OR higher level endurance bosses are let out of the draw

Am I correct in reading the rules that on a story dungeon (chapter 2) if it states you cannot escape and the boss is a random draw, you could suffer complete party wipe. Say I draw a lvl 9 endurance boss with my lvl 1 party of 2 accursed, I can't flee the dungeon and I can't kill the boss without both characters dying, so what happens on death? If I use the cursed heart to resurrect with an injury roll, I'm still stuck in the dungeon doomed to be killed 3 more times and then have to start the campaign over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jernej peter
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

So, I was thiinking about another option, to incrise damage that the heroes could deal to the monsters.

We could use the rule that Mr. Vasel is a big fan of.

Whenever you roll a 6 (critical), you get a maximum hit points and can decide to spend one stamina (or two) to roll another die and add to hit points. You can do that as many times as you roll 6 (and have stamina to spend)

what do you think?

regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca G.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking on how house rule the difficulty. To me should be an easy way without modifying Accursed stats, equipment, items. The house rule should be to something we could standardize across the community to get comparable playing experiences (like we have now in the ERRATA). It should not be to much intrusive in the rules, in the existing cards/materials or include fancy calculations.

My starting assumptions would be that normal monster are not too hardcore to beat with the right mix of accursed, experience and equipment. I noticed that when levelling up the additional Perks are really making them a considerable step ahead in terms of power, which is not comparable to my Accursed.
Hence I though about re-scaling the Perks without modifying anything else.

(1) Monster Perks: they are applied starting from level 4 instead of level 2 (excluding Bosses if next rule is applied) . The progression is the same as already indicated in the monster card (+3 Perks only apply to level 10 Monster).

Regarding the Bosses which are extremely strong at level 1 (endurance more than 7). Make things more reasonable would be the proposal
(2) Boss: play with Boss level equal to party -2.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ulHKcns4RpN2HjxzINMMiWHtV7M...

Still have to think if to play a combination of both (1) and (2) or only (2).

I welcome suggestion and ideas

This is my personal house rule guide which I'm using
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Zn7_tRPD0XlBHzgeNEbJ_zelJF...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.