Popular Tags: [View All]
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is it possible to have more than 8 players playing together? I feel like it's okay to have more than 4 people in a team, but not sure if it would get messy.

Let's say I have around 12 people, how about having a third team of 4? Component limitation aside, if we goes A->B->C, would it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wolfe
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see where it would be a problem having more than 4 people on a team mechanically, but I imagine it would increase the amount of table talk and make the game longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Panguin wrote:
I can't see where it would be a problem having more than 4 people on a team mechanically, but I imagine it would increase the amount of table talk and make the game longer.

^This.

We've done it. Its hard for everyone to chat about the clues and it can cause some stress if people feel left out.

I've seen it where my team comes out of the gate with the right clue order and someone will go "wait a second...what if she means...." and down the rabbit hole they go. Sometimes having more players causes some analysis paralysis just by having more players on the team.

I think if you have over 8, Codenames is probably better game, but it can work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lemay
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
Is it possible to have more than 8 players playing together? I feel like it's okay to have more than 4 people in a team, but not sure if it would get messy.

Let's say I have around 12 people, how about having a third team of 4? Component limitation aside, if we goes A->B->C, would it work?

We did not playtested with 3 teams. I see many ways we could try, but I prefer not comment right now.

There is no "theoretical" limit to the number of players, but for reasons said here (comfort around the table, discussions), we prefer to limit to 8 on the box. A more "honest" statement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McComas
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only problem you'll encounter with large teams is not cycling through each player multiple times for encryptor duties. You'd also probably want to increase the victory condition by 1 or 2 intercept tokens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McComas
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comet wrote:
eunoia wrote:

We did not playtested with 3 teams. I see many ways we could try, but I prefer not comment right now.

There is no "theoretical" limit to the number of players, but for reasons said here (comfort around the table, discussions), we prefer to limit to 8 on the box. A more "honest" statement

Your game was a smash hit at my recent party games night! I play with a bunch of Codenames fans but as our group's GM, I was unsure if it would be just cool OR cool and fun. Our game was a riot, had all our sides splitting from laughter and was satisfyingly tense, cerebral and FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lemay
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thecostcutter wrote:

Your game was a smash hit at my recent party games night! I play with a bunch of Codenames fans but as our group's GM, I was unsure if it would be just cool OR cool and fun. Our game was a riot, had all our sides splitting from laughter and was satisfyingly tense, cerebral and FUN!

Thank you so much!

We have to give credit to Thomas, the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you all for the comments. They're very helpful. I am looking for games to play with a large group of 12 or 13. We've tried Codenames a few times already, and CSI Files. Both are great. Decrypto also looks very interesting and there are great praise in this thread along. I might not get it now, but I would probably pick it up eventually. Thanks again for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rowe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
How about two copies of the game so you can have more teams if you're going to reliably have more than 8 players then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.