Subject: The Lady and the Tiger sequel - $250 first prize rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

We're putting together a sequel to our hit game The Lady and the Tiger, and we're running a contest for other games using the same components: 18 specific cards and 24 tokens in three colors.

The winner will be offered a chance to have their game included in the box; winning this contest will make you a paid and published game designer!

We’re looking for whatever the components inspire you to make – area control, hand management, trick taking, pick up and deliver, bluffing…anything goes! The winner will be the game which is the most accessible and fun to play, whether it’s a 30-second solo experience or an hour-long dexterity game.

Submissions
Your entry should include a single-sentence summary of your game and a rulebook. The rules should explain the setup, turn structure, gameplay, and your game’s end condition(s). Designs should be complete and playable; we’re looking for games that you’ve brought to the table and played to completion, something that’s more than just an idea.

Tip: The games we included in The Lady and the Tiger all had simple, elegant victory conditions. “First to five points”, or “Collect 10 treasures to win” – games with no complex mental arithmetic or memorization.

Submissions will close at 8pm Central Time on Sunday the 1st of July, 2018. Multiple submissions from a single designer are welcome, but should be sent in separate emails. You will keep all rights to games that you submit to this contest.

Submit entries to peter@beard.blue with the subject line Jellybean Contest (Player count) (Runtime) – Designer(s). For example: Jellybean Contest (2-4 players) (10 minutes) – Tom Lang. You will receive a confirmation that your entry has been received; if you don’t hear back in a day or two, we didn’t get your submission!

Game rules should be submitted in PDF format.

Restrictions
The challenge of this contest is the components – games can be of any style, player count or length, but can only use the tokens and cards which are already in the box.

The components are:

18 cards
•Numbers 1-5 in Blue
•Numbers 1-5 in Red
•Numbers 1-5 in Green
•3 suit cards: Blue, Red, Green

24 tokens
•8 blue tokens
•8 red tokens
•8 green tokens

The cards can be downloaded here. The three suit cards will have all have the same back, which will be different from the 15 number cards. The tokens will be glass or plastic gems, and will not be stackable or double-sided.

Currently, the game has no theme. Possible themes for the final game include The Three Musketeers, The Three Witches (from Macbeth), The Bronte Sisters, or the three ghosts from A Christmas Carol. Submissions should not rely on a particular theme to be enjoyable.

Prizes
The winner of the contest will receive $250 USD. The winner (and likely several other contestants) will be offered a contract to be published as part of the game – the contract will include a portion of profits from the game’s sales.

The full details can be found here: http://jellybean.games/contest/

Let me know if you have any questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this one and I have a design that may just work! On to playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else working on a design that would be up to swap rules to do a sanity check/playtest of each other's games? Let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned the three suit cards all having the same back. I assume the 15 number cards also all have the same back... just different from the suit cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaker73 wrote:
You mentioned the three suit cards all having the same back. I assume the 15 number cards also all have the same back... just different from the suit cards?

This is correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Worrall
United Kingdom
BOURNEMOUTH
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scrapyardarmory wrote:
Anyone else working on a design that would be up to swap rules to do a sanity check/playtest of each other's games? Let me know!

Yes I'm working on one.
I had a moment of inspiration a few days ago and have written out some rules.

It seems to play quite well but does need 3 players to play it properly as there is hidden information that needs to be deduced. Difficult to simulate another players choices when there are only one or two of you!

I have the rules on a 2 page pdf file. I'll post a link if you're up for a test swap.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Black
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Discover the Fun
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the contest and the challenge! I am psyched to participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
This is cool! I've just sent in my submission.

If last year's number of entries is any indication you'll have a lot of playtesting to do!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I managed to get a 2nd entry in just before the deadline.

Both my entries were short games (10-20 minutes), with one being for 2 players and one for 2-3 players. I can't really imagine making a game for more players with this few components!

Who else submitted something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J de K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
khendrix wrote:
I managed to get a 2nd entry in just before the deadline.

Both my entries were short games (10-20 minutes), with one being for 2 players and one for 2-3 players. I can't really imagine making a game for more players with this few components!

Who else submitted something?

I entered a 2-3 player area control game that takes about 20 minutes. I hope they like it.

I was also playing around with ideas for a push your luck and a bluffing game for 2-4 players, but I wasn't sure if they were (gonna be) any fun.

The Lady and the Tiger contains a 2-6 player bluffing game and has about the same number of components, I think. So, it is possible, but indeed the components seem much more suitable for a 2-3 player game.

Do we know how long the judging will approximately take? Not that I am in a hurry, but I am just curious XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We got 103 entries total, and I'm spending all of this week and next week going through them! Hoping to have finalists announced by the end of the month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb

I can't wait to hear the results of this!

Although I appreciate that judging over 100 entires can take a while -- especially with Gen Con happening too... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J de K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Did you see the finalists?

https://jellybean.games/jabberwocky-finalists/

Sounds like they found some interesting games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
BlueChicken wrote:

No I didn't! I had assumed there would be a post on this thread. Thanks for letting me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The winner has been announced! Congratulations to Karl Lange, for his entry 'Borogoves'.

http://jellybean.games/jabberwocky-finalists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Lange
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Peter, it was a very interesting set of design constraints and I would challenge everyone to give it a crack as a learning tool if nothing else. Really made me think about how to use the the very specific list of components to their fullest potential
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls