Subject: "California Republicans hit rock bottom" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure they can go lower, but this is as low as it gets right now.

Quote:
The state that spawned the "Reagan Revolution’’ and Richard M. Nixon just experienced a watershed moment — the California Republican Party was officially relegated to third-party status.

In the culmination of the withered state GOP’s long slide toward near-political irrelevance here, new voter registration data released this week show the once-robust party trails behind both Democrats and “no party preference” in the nation's most populous state. The California Republican Party is now outnumbered by independent voters by 73,000, according to Political Data Inc., which tabulates voter file data from county registrars.

The new figures come as the state looms large in the national battle for the House, with a handful of Republican-held seats poised to play a pivotal role in November.

Not really surprising given that CA is becoming more diversified and the GOP keeps on with their white nationalist/bigoted policies. Its not like they did not have warnings before, like from a remarkably prescient action star

Quote:
A decade after Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger — the last elected GOP statewide official — was lambasted for warning his fellow Republicans that their party was “dying at the box office," the new numbers underscore the collapse of the GOP in California. The ranks of Republican voters have disintegrated by 10 percentage points since 1998, when they made up 35 percent of the voter rolls.

This leads to this somewhat embarrassing situation

Quote:
Already, there are signs the disintegration of the Republican Party could fuel the rise of high-profile independent candidates. For the first time, the GOP failed to field a single candidate for a major statewide race — the office of insurance commissioner.

Poizner, in making the move to become a “no party preference” voter and to abandon the GOP, said he believes voters are weary of partisan infighting and simply want candidates who can tackle their concerns.

Poizner’s bid will be closely watched come November — and it may eventually influence the strategy of others like San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, who’s viewed as one of the only viable potential statewide candidates who identifies as Republican.

Whalen points to Republican gubernatorial candidate John Cox, who appears poised in recent polls to end up as one of the “top two” finalists — along with Democrat Gavin Newsom — in next Tuesday’s primary, as another candidate to watch.

As long as he has an "R" after his name on the ballot, Cox’s victory may be “the classic short-term gain, long-term pain,’’ said Whalen. “Cox will be running in November — and his running mate is Donald Trump."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/30/california-republi...

And what is the GOP doing to combat this situation? Embracing The Donald's takeover of their party with open arms of course.

Not to say that its all sweetness and light for the Democrats, as they have had a slight decline of about 2%, but they are in a lot healthier long term position. And the other problem is that as with all things mortally wounded, the GOP has the capacity of inflicting a lot of damage in their death throes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps once independent voters also outnumber Democrats, we can actually see real change occur in this country.

Here's hoping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's with the quotes in the title? Is this your version of ellipses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's the title of the article he linked to. So it's a quote of a title, thus quotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Now, now, don't be afraid of the elipse, it's your friend.

But to the point, more and more states with urban areas will see this trend, which means the Repubs will find it tougher and tougher to win votes near an urban zone. For this reason, and the fact that the number of state representatvies is determined by population, the trend leans toward more and more independent, and dare I say, perhaps liberal voters. Translate liberal to 'Dem' here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Perhaps once independent voters also outnumber Democrats, we can actually see real change occur in this country.

Game theory still works. Colorado is majority unaffiliated, but we still have plenty of partisanship.

Edit: Sorry, plurality unaffiliated. Not majority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

...I miss Dashi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Game theory still works. Colorado is majority unaffiliated, but we still have plenty of partisanship.

Damn. Ok, perhaps once we unaffiliated folks outnumber Democrats and Republicans combined?

Let's get back to the Whigs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

But to the point, more and more states with urban areas will see this trend, which means the Repubs will find it tougher and tougher to win votes near an urban zone. For this reason, and the fact that the number of state representatvies is determined by population, the trend leans toward more and more independent, and dare I say, perhaps liberal voters. Translate liberal to 'Dem' here.

And looking at the voter reg for Colorado it would appear the GOP is also in third place there. Are there any other states where this has happened (to be fair the Democratic party is in second place in CO). But it does bode well for a return to sanity to the country in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Bwian wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Damn. Ok, perhaps once we unaffiliated folks outnumber Democrats and Republicans combined?

I don't think it makes much difference: as I said, game theory still applies, and voters will still have to make compromises.

Not to mention that "unaffiliated" doesn't necessarily mean much: I'm not registered with a political party, but I think I've only voted for a single Republican since I moved here. (Most local races are technically non-partisan, so I might have voted for some Republicans there. But local candidates, at least around here, aren't as ostentatiously partisan as at the national level.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

...I miss Dashi...

Oh shit I landed on Earth 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Bwian wrote:
Terwox wrote:

I don't think it makes much difference: as I said, game theory still applies, and voters will still have to make compromises.

Not to mention that "unaffiliated" doesn't necessarily mean much: I'm not registered with a political party, but I think I've only voted for a single Republican since I moved here. (Most local races are technically non-partisan, so I might have voted for some Republicans there. But local candidates, at least around here, aren't as ostentatiously partisan as at the national level.)

You're being a bit too abstract when you say "game theory still applies."

In what way?

Note: My framework is that we're in a one-party system masquerading as a political process. Politics are compromise, but I don't think our current gov't reflects the will of the people in major ways (both in ways I'd prefer things to be, and ways I do not.)

There's a difference between "compromise exists" and "let's clean out the institutionalized corruption the current two-party system has enshrined into law."

Basically, I'm not sure I'm understanding if we're addressing the same things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
abadolato01 wrote:

Actual ellipse? Sure. But not of this three period bs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Terwox wrote:
but I don't think our current gov't reflects the will of the people in major ways (both in ways I'd prefer things to be, and ways I do not.)

When people say this, they usually mean "I don't think our current gov't reflects the will of ME"

People vote. The winners go on to rule. If politicians don't follow the will of the people, they get voted out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Terwox wrote:
but I don't think our current gov't reflects the will of the people in major ways (both in ways I'd prefer things to be, and ways I do not.)

When people say this, they usually mean "I don't think our current gov't reflects the will of ME"

People vote. The winners go on to rule. If politicians don't follow the will of the people, they get voted out.

I get that that's what people usually mean.

However, most people (not me, but like 80% of Americans) want third trimester abortion bans. (Health concerns are huge, "elective" third trimester abortions are essentially non-existent; but that's not how people think about it.)

For a long time, most people didn't want gay marriage, I did. That one DID follow the will of the people when it flipped.

Most people probably want to be able to not hire trans people (when it comes down to it.) I don't care, fuck those people; but for now they have their way most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Terwox wrote:

Here's hoping!

I've never been impressed with the US partisan voter registration thing (or voter registration in particular - that shit should be automatic if you have any sort of a permanent address).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shader10 wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Here's hoping!

I've never been impressed with the US partisan voter registration thing (or voter registration in particular - that shit should be automatic if you have any sort of a permanent address).
A centralised database of citizens whereabouts (domicile) seems anathema to the American aversion for (imagined or real) government overreach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Here's hoping!

A centralised database of citizens whereabouts (domicile) seems anathema to the American aversion for (imagined or real) government overreach.

Anathema to government overreach means "it doesn't play well for conservatives," it doesn't actually have anything at all to do w/ overreach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

...I miss Dashi...

Nothing I can say
a total elipse of the heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Venga2 wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Here's hoping!

Anathema to government overreach means "it doesn't play well for conservatives," it doesn't actually have anything at all to do w/ overreach.

I -want- to agree with you....

.... but then you see the ills that happen when a government agency gets weaponized. There's the whole "right-wing agencies are more likely to get audited" thing. On the other end of the spectrum, a few years back here in Utah someone released rolls of immigrants on public assistance which were supposed to be private. So while I agree that there would be no problems were it a spherical cow in a vacuum, when people get a wild hair and try to use the government to further their own agenda, those databases make it possible for greater abuses.

No, they aren't coming for our guns blah blah blah.... not looking to be the paranoid reactionary. But abuses have happened in the past. I don't want to go to where we are 400 million individuals with no accountability whatsoever, but I don't want to go Patriot Act Plus either. That space in between... that's where we need to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Venga2 wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Here's hoping!

.... but then you see the ills that happen when a government agency gets weaponized. There's the whole "right-wing agencies are more likely to get audited" thing. On the other end of the spectrum, a few years back here in Utah someone released rolls of immigrants on public assistance which were supposed to be private. So while I agree that there would be no problems were it a spherical cow in a vacuum, when people get a wild hair and try to use the government to further their own agenda, those databases make it possible for greater abuses.

No, they aren't coming for our guns blah blah blah.... not looking to be the paranoid reactionary. But abuses have happened in the past. I don't want to go to where we are 400 million individuals with no accountability whatsoever, but I don't want to go Patriot Act Plus either. That space in between... that's where we need to explore.

True, true.

To be clear, gov't overreach is an actual complaint and a legitimate debate; it's just when it is brought up, conservatives are often invoking a false god in the name of their own agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Venga2 wrote:
Shader10 wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Here's hoping!

True, true.

To be clear, gov't overreach is an actual complaint and a legitimate debate; it's just when it is brought up, conservatives are often invoking a false god in the name of their own agenda.

Unfortunately this group of conservatives in power have determined that "government overreach" consists mainly of regulations and safeguards meant to protect the general population from the excesses of business and the 1%. Like rolling back regulations on payday lenders, delaying rules on for profit colleges, and the EPA rolling back climate change regulations. Today "government overreach" now means "not enough profit"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
windsagio wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

...I miss Dashi...

Nothing I can say
a total elipse of the heart.

CAN you really have a total ellipse of the heart, when the ellipse implies more....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any one interested in following the CA results there is this link

https://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/close-contests

Or for a less unbiased, but more lively discussion, there is always TheDailyKos

For California

https://www.dailykos.com/tag/California

And elections in general. A few others of interest going on

https://www.dailykos.com/news/species_list/election

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.