Hide
5 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Customizable Card Game variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rylie Hilscher
msg tools
Toying with the idea of playing Mars in the style of a Customizable Card Game.
Why? Two purposes:
A. A fun way to teach the game to people where they can see the power of engines/card combos.
B. Speed up the game (a faster, super-powered version of the game).

Concepts:
1. Play the board/terraforming normally
2. (removed)
3. Sort Active/Automated/Event cards into pre-built decks, specific for a Corp.
4. Each player draws from just their pre-built deck (and has their own discard pile).
5. Start of each generation, each player draws 4 cards from their deck. Cards cost 3 as normal. Discards will be reshuffled into their draw deck once it is depleted.

6. Optional #1- Instead of playing 1 Corp, players get 2 Corps. They pick only 1 of the starting credits/bonus of the two corps, but they always get both bonus effects of the 2 corps.
7. Optional #2- Speed up? Event card tags count!

Here is my first attempt at sorting the cards into built decks:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f6hfOGr4EVG2UQ4C1AobgoBBhT...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why separate the events? Wouldn't Interplanetary Cinematics want to have some events in their deck? Wouldn't there be many events that many other corporations would like to have in their decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rylie Hilscher
msg tools
I thought about it... and certain events would boost specific corporations. For now I'll play them separate too see how balanced the Active/Automated cards feel. My thought is, if there are holes in the decks, trying to pull what you need from the event cards could be the answer. Once I'm happy with how each deck synergizes, then it would be the task of fairly sorting the event cards.
One of the worries is that certain corps would benefit a lot. Phobolog would have a much easier time playing the cards vs Ecoline for example. By keeping them separate, the Ecoline player has the choice to ignore event cards so they can get their engine up and running. With event cards assigned they could "gum up the deck" for Ecoline (and others). Phobolog and Interplanetary Cinematics players would be very likely to dive into the Event deck.
Worth trying though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
So the corporations that want a lot of blue and green cards get them, but the corporations that want events don't get them, unless by luck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rylie Hilscher
msg tools
Ok... updated my original post. A few of the decks were unbalanced (Phobolog/Saturn). I rebalanced them all so that each deck is in the 25pt - 30pt range for card points. I also added in all the Event cards... distributed thematically, with an eye on balance.
Removed 2 cards for balance reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.