4 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » General

Subject: Materials for first Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wade Moore
msg tools
badge
I've seen some references to possibly some mistakes/clarity issues/changes in rules in some of the forum posts.

I found the FAQ Grant wrote up, so I'll print that and have it handy. Is there anything else I need to pull to make sure I have the correct rules? Is there any page/file that has official updated/clarified rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ should be enough.
Watching the strategy videos Grant made makes sense too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who recently played his first game I have a side note that isn't exactly rules related.

Play the game multiple times (in a row if possible) before making any judgments about balance. I played 2 player with a friend of mine and he kept beating me with what I saw as an unstoppable strategy and I could hear "unbalanced" start to creep into my head. After a few games I discovered it was I who was actually beating myself.

For our last game I went nuts and started doing things I hadn't even considered in the previous games and low and behold I was able to win by a wide margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
mbmb
I echo the above statement.

One needs like 10 games to assess the balance of things, and every format is different. 2, 3 and 4 players provide completely different challenges, and each faction have to adapt accordingly. It can drive you crazy if you start to calculate how much factors there is to take account.

We played a 4p game yesterday and we had alot of fun, the troggs took off on the first 2 turns with a huge lead in points, and the pilgrims were completely shut off from expansion for the whole game. Machines went crazy on the troggs as they had lost a key battle and wanted revenge, and pretty much wiped the natives from the board by the end of the game. The pilgrims "crystal engine" still managed to crank enough points to surpass the troggs, while sneaky space monkeys pulled off the win by holding 6 regions with artillery and watchtower back up. We learned alot how to deal with troggs, but now we can see that we left the humans alone too long.

This game is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.