Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Character is going to retire, but it says you can do any town actions before retirement. Since you have to turn in all items, can you just sell them for half price instead?

With gold from the last scenario and/or doing above, can you donate to the santuray more than once?

As long as I have cards left, I could use the money to enhance the deck for the retiring character, correct? When it says you can have to pay more for enhancements on an action, that means top/bottom of card correct? So if I already enhanced the attack on level one card on top and I want to enhance the movement on the bottom of the same card, there's no additional money requirement since it's a different action, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obligatory, "it's your game and you can play it however you want to", but with the RAW, you can only donate to the sanctuary of the great tree once per character per visit to Gloomhaven. You are of course allowed to donate once and buy enhancements for your class before retiring.

I'm not sure about the answer to your second question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
You can not donate to the church more than once per visit.

The rules for enhancing are pretty good in the rulebook, but I' fairly certain if the CARD has an enhancement on it already there is an increased cost for a second. Could be wrong and will subscribe for someone else who has time to look at the rulebook while not at work like me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SteoanK wrote:

The rules for enhancing are pretty good in the rulebook, but I' fairly certain if the CARD has an enhancement on it already there is an increased cost for a second. Could be wrong and will subscribe for someone else who has time to look at the rulebook while not at work like me.

You can only donate to the sanctuary once per visit to gloomhaven.

And for enchanting:
To the OPs specific question about cost increase, it's previous enhancements on the ACTION not on the card. So you can do both the top and bottom of a card at no extra cost.
EDIT: And doing the top/bottom also only counts as 1 card enchanted towards the prosperity limit of total cards enchanted.

EDIT2: As for selling your gear (and then spending the money on enchanting), if you have a quest that requires X gear, or X money, once you lose that stuff, you're no longer able to retire.

So for example, if you need 10 items to retire, and you get 10 items, go to gloomhaven, and sell them all, you are no longer able to retire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
TMJJS wrote:
Character is going to retire, but it says you can do any town actions before retirement. Since you have to turn in all items, can you just sell them for half price instead?

With gold from the last scenario and/or doing above, can you donate to the santuray more than once?

As long as I have cards left, I could use the money to enhance the deck for the retiring character, correct? When it says you can have to pay more for enhancements on an action, that means top/bottom of card correct? So if I already enhanced the attack on level one card on top and I want to enhance the movement on the bottom of the same card, there's no additional money requirement since it's a different action, correct?

Its not cheesy. Its pretty normal that your last order of business is to sell everything, donate one last time and enhance one or two cards for the next guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Spires
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Gloomhaven Rulebook page 46 wrote:
Additional costs are added based on the level of the ability card and the number of previously placed enhancement stickers on the same action.

Since the official FAQ defines an action as the top half or bottom half of an ability card, you would only need to increase the cost of a new enhancement if the action on that half of the card is already enhanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mb
SteoanK wrote:

Jeff got it right, it's per action. So you can enhance the top and bottom without incurring an additional cost. The additional cost comes in when you enhance the same action of a card (so 2nd enhancement on top or 2nd enhancement on bottom).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mb
TMJJS wrote:

You can sell and use the gold in most situations. Some personal quests however require you to retire with a certain item/set of items/gold quantity. In those cases you cannot sell the items or use the amount of gold stated on the personal quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can sell your items and buy enhancements before retiring (unless your personal quest is to acquire those items, or to hoard money, etc.)

No, you can't donate more than once. If you want the church to grow, you have to send them money every scenario.

For enhancements, you're right - the top and bottom halves are independent actions. The extra cost comes when you enhance the same action multiple times, e.g. +1 Attack and +1 Range would be 50+30+75.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Greenfly
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TMJJS wrote:

Yes you can, unless your retirement goal is tied to the items / gold you have. You need to fullfill the requirement at the moment you are retiring.

TMJJS wrote:

No. You can donate once per visit / per player (not even per character).

TMJJS wrote:

Yes, every card has two actions - top and bottom. Every action consists of one or more abilities.

Rulebook pg. 46:
Additional costs are added based on the level of the ability card and the number of previously placed enhancement stickers on the same action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilGreenfly wrote:

Oh god... we're going to get into the what constitutes a 'player' when a single human is controlling multiple characters within a single campaign discussion again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Greenfly
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stomski wrote:
PhilGreenfly wrote:

Oh god... we're going to get into the what constitutes a 'player' when a single human is controlling multiple characters within a single campaign discussion again.

Oh please no

My point was, if you get back to town with one character and before his / her retirement you donate, you cannot donate during the same visit with the newly created character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
alecm88 wrote:

You can sell and use the gold in most situations. Some personal quests however require you to retire with a certain item/set of items/gold quantity. In those cases you cannot sell the items or use the amount of gold stated on the personal quest.

Addendum: There might also be the case where a retirement doesn't let you return to Gloomhaven. In such a case, a firesale would also be impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.