Subject: A visit to Seville rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First and foremost, I am a backer of the Heroquest 25th Anniversary and I didn’t have any kind of relation or communication with him at all before my visit. I have heard so many opinions and news about the campaign that confused me a bit. Many people have identified the campaign as a fraud. On the other hand we see progress. What is real and what is not?

I am lurker in those forums and I usually don’t post. However I decided to write about the Heroquest matter after I visited Dionisio on Saturday at his headquarters.

I sent him an email a week ago telling him that I was going to visit Sevilla and that I wanted to meet him to discuss about the status of the game. He answered me after a couple of days and there I was in front of his warehouse in Sevilla waiting for him. He showed up after a while and he showed me around.

The first thing that you will notice is that the warehouse is full of miniatures. I guess that they have completed the production(All three tiers). I have to say that I was satisfied by the quality.

Then he showed me the dice. The move dice are ok, however the combat dice have some issues. The first issue is that the engravings are not accurate(I saw the prototypes and I confirm that this is true). The second issue is that there is black paint all over the dice. He told me that he is just waiting for the dice and that then he will be ready to send the game to us. In the meantime he still playtests the rules and the scenarios.

I saw also the mockups of the rulebook and the mission book. They have unusual sizes for practical reasons. Then I saw the cards of the game. They were the demo cards which they have beautiful artwork. He showed to me the final printings of the hero cards. Sturdy cardboard with two wheels. One for body and mind. The game’s box was next. It is HUGE. Afterwards I saw mockups of the cardboard pieces used in the game. Artistically they were very nice.Then we went to another warehouse. He had there ready-to-send packages with components of the game. He told me that they will be sent in Barcelona. The final assembly will be completed there.

Dionisio himself is very friendly, kind and has a very nice sense of humor. He studied History. He seems very passionate about his work and he admitted that he made a lot of mistakes due to his inexperience. Now he proceeds with more caution and he said that he WILL deliver. He works only with local manufactures. He told me that the dice were made by a ink injection manufacturer that mostly produces shoes among other things and components (If I understand correctly) and that’s the reason of the failure. He told me also that he has not any economic issues and that he don’t know the exact delivering time.

If anyone thinks that this is a fraud, he should visit his warehouse. It seems that a lot of effort have already been made. It will be such a pity if all this effort is lost. I personally believe and hope that he will deliver at some point. What is that point? Even Dionisio couldn't tell. But he is for sure very optimistic about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
giuseppelepew wrote:

He told me also that he has not any economic issues and that he don’t know the exact delivering time.

Uh-huh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn De Swert
Belgium
Tessenderlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
giuseppelepew wrote:
He told me that the dice were made by a shoe manufacturer (If I understand correctly) and that’s the reason of the failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice manufactures is a company specialized into plastic injection. Yes, the first (and most of the business) was shoes - but they have produced components for other games.

This is its web: http://www.tecnotac.es/ and you can see that there they announce their products for game boards (look for "juegos de mesa").

So calling them a shoe company is a bit strange. I do not doubt that Dionisio did that, but it's strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe
Greece
Samos and Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamuki wrote:
The dice manufactures is a company specialized into plastic injection. Yes, the first (and most of the business) was shoes - but they have produced components for other games.

This is its web: http://www.tecnotac.es/ and you can see that there they announce their products for game boards (look for "juegos de mesa").

So calling them a shoe company is a bit strange. I do not doubt that Dionisio did that, but it's strange.

Thank you for your info. Maybe I had misunderstood him. So I change the info accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I am sure Dionisio called them a shoe company, I was not doubting it, I trust you.

But I think Dionisio calling them a shoe company is a bit disingenuous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
jamuki wrote:
Oh, I am sure Dionisio called them a shoe company, I was not doubting it, I trust you.

But I think Dionisio calling them a shoe company is a bit disingenuous.

Dionisio said something not 100% truthful? If I didn't have 150+ other examples, there is no way I'd believe it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Fresnel
France
Vélizy
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
He told me that he is just waiting for the dice and that then he will be ready to send the game to us. In the meantime he still playtests the rules and the scenarios.

that's also an interesting planning point of view !
thank you to all authors who playtest for years before going to production
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
giuseppelepew wrote:
He told me that he is just waiting for the dice and that then he will be ready to send the game to us. In the meantime he still playtests the rules and the scenarios.

These two statements didn't strike you as contradictory?

How is he able to playtest rules and scenarios if the game is ready to go except for the dice?

One of four things must be true:
1. He is playtesting, but it doesn't matter, because the scenarios and rules are already printed.
2. He is playtesting, but he is lying about being ready to go, because he hasn't printed the scenarios and rules he is still playtesting.
3. He isn't playtesting, and is ready to send out a crap game once these dice (which have been the problem for over a year now, apparently?) are finally ready.
4. He's lying to your face about both of those things. History puts the smart money here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot to add:

5. He is holding it so he can release it as Heroquest 50th anniversary edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Dionisio changed his take on playtesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Dioniso should forget game manufacturing and just become a warehouse tour operator, since that's all he apparently does all day.

Just read the cards in the screenshot...Jesus wept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Hahaha I forgot about the shape of those dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the translations to several languages (English especially)? Any mention about its state?
Edit: I see the image texts resembles English: "Turned towards an adjacent figure, the target loses its will and does not take any action. This fascination ceases if attacked."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha ... it truly looks like ... something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batanen wrote:
I see the image texts resembles English: "Turned towards an adjacent figure, the target loses its will and does not take any action. This fascination ceases if attacked."

Give the guy a break, he hasn't had time to figure that out yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batanen wrote:
How about the translations to several languages (English especially)? Any mention about its state?
Edit: I see the image texts resembles English: "Turned towards an adjacent figure, the target loses its will and does not take any action. This fascination ceases if attacked."

Ah right, the game is ready to go; except for the dice, the quests, rules, and their translations into various languages.

In short, the game is ready to go except for the game part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don’t worry, Seville’s top shoemakers are on the case!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the haberdashers are on standby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmb
If worse comes to worst, I've heard wonderful things about Andalusian milliners. I'm sure they'd be happy to pitch in on scenario design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
batanen wrote:

Ah right, the game is ready to go; except for the dice, the quests, rules, and their translations into various languages.

In short, the game is ready to go except for the game part.

This must mean that I still have a plenty of time to do the required HQxxth pilgrimage to Seville. Maybe this Summer? Well probably rather next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deano Ware
United States
Farmington Hills
Mi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fellow Backer and Lurker I want to thank you for the post/report.

As for everyone else.... so whose turn is it "next year" to make the pilgrimage!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Wait did you get a showbag of miniatures at the end of the tour?
I'm not going if you don' get a showbag anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Dioniso should forget game manufacturing and just become a warehouse tour operator, since that's all he apparently does all day.

Better yet, he should invite someone for a tour that owns a camcorder (or, you know, any cell phone manufactured in the last decade) who can then record a video of the tour and show us all these miniatures and other game components (defective or otherwise), and go through what's ready and what isn't in detail.

Then he can post said video online and shut up all the nay sayers who aren't inclined to believe this "random guy took a tour of the warehouse and says everything's totally cool" story that seems to surface every year or two as "proof" that things are finally about to come together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Better yet, he should invite someone for a tour that owns a camcorder (or, you know, any cell phone manufactured in the last decade) who can then record a video of the tour and show us all these miniatures and other game components (defective or otherwise), and go through what's ready and what isn't in detail.

Then he can post said video online and shut up all the nay sayers who aren't inclined to believe this "random guy took a tour of the warehouse and says everything's totally cool" story that seems to surface every year or two as "proof" that things are finally about to come together.

Some sort of device to recreate vision as it was lived? To allow those far away to glimpse what was near another? What a marvellous age we live in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.