Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Lucidity: Six-Sided Nightmares» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official FAQ - Your answer might be here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I've received a few recurring questions for Lucidity since its release, and I wanted to put all the answers in one place.

Errata
Nightmare of the Depths
"When any dreamer rolls a" should read "When any dreamer would resolve a" (just like the other Nightmares).

Rules Clarifications and FAQ
Can I reroll dice?
YES! Absolutely. You can always roll unresolved dreams by paying Power matching their colour. See the red box on page 4 of the rulebook.

Can you reroll a rerolled dice?
As long as you have Power to spend on it!

What is a "dream"?
A dice in Lucidity is called a dream.

What happens if I draw, roll or return too many dreams?
The "worst case" rule says... If you ever draw or roll more dreams than you are allowed to, the next player in turn order may select the excess which are to be returned to the bag. Then you must roll/reroll the dreams. If you ever return more than two dreams to the bag, the next player in turn order may pick dreams of any color out of the bag to replace them. If you return a dream to the bag, you cannot change your mind and take it back out again.

What if I have to resolve a dream, but the row is full?
Just put the dream to the side of that row and resolve it as normal. Rows can be overfilled, and overfilling dreams still count as being in that row.

When you become a Nightmare, the rules say you get the dice on them. How do dice get there?
Whenever you pay Power to reroll unresolved dice (see player reference card), that Power goes on the Nightmare of its colour.

What happens if a second player becomes a Nightmare that has already been claimed?
Check the Nightmare abilities. It's impossible to fill a Shadow row of a claimed colour!

I filled up a Shadow/Exhaust row on a Nightmare's turn. Do I immediately become a Nightmare/Exhausted?
No. You are only affected by filled rows during the "Check for filled rows" step of your turn. You still get to roll at least once on your next turn!

Is the Shadow of Primeval Fear's ability optional?
Yes. It says you "may" use the ability.

Can you remove Shadow-faced dice from your Hunt or Exhaust row?
Yes - from anywhere on your card!

When I move a dice, do I rotate it? When I rotate a dice, do I move it?
Only if specifically told to do so. This means:
~ A Shadow moved to the Hunt row by a Shadow of Primeval Fear stays as a Shadow.
~ An Exhaust dice rotated to a Shadow face stays in the Exhaust row.

What is the point of rotating dice if they don't move?
Dice contribute towards filling the row they are in (not the row matching their symbol). If you have a dice in your Exhaust row showing the Exhaust symbol, and you rotate it to show the Shadow symbol, it continues to fill your Exhaust row - it does not go towards filling your Shadow row.

That's it for now, but ask away if you need help!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, very appreciated! thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hammonds
United States
Henrico
VA
flag msg tools
mb
A few more questions!

1. After becoming exhausted at the end of the turn, what happens to the dice in the exhaust row? Are they returned to the bag after resolving the “exhausted state” or do they stay in the row? If so, does this mean exhausted players take the test for exhaustion at the end of every following turn?

2. What is the purpose of rotating dreams? Do shadows in the hunt or exhaust row still count as filling the row? And if not, what is the benefit of rotating these dice?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bruch
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
vintagepksweetie wrote:
A few more questions!

1. After becoming exhausted at the end of the turn, what happens to the dice in the exhaust row? Are they returned to the bag after resolving the “exhausted state” or do they stay in the row? If so, does this mean exhausted players take the test for exhaustion at the end of every following turn?

When you become exhausted, you are forced to rest. After resolving the effect of exhaustion (and any filled nightmare rows) you rest, and return either all exhaust (zzz) dice or one shadow.

vintagepksweetie wrote:
2. What is the purpose of rotating dreams? Do shadows in the hunt or exhaust row still count as filling the row? And if not, what is the benefit of rotating these dice?

They still fill a spot in the row.

In the hunt row, you can remove one shadow when resting at the end of your turn, so they're possibly a little better than hunt sides.

In the exhaust row, they make it harder to become rested - when resting you remove ALL exhaust dice, or ONE shadow. If any of the dice in the exhaust row is a shadow, you have the choice to remove just one shadow OR all the exhaust dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vintagepksweetie wrote:

1. After becoming exhausted at the end of the turn, what happens to the dice in the exhaust row? Are they returned to the bag after resolving the “exhausted state” or do they stay in the row? If so, does this mean exhausted players take the test for exhaustion at the end of every following turn?
At the end of every turn, you get to remove 1 dice showing the Shadow symbol, or all dice showing the Exhaust symbol. Other than that, you do not clear dice from your Exhaust row (even if you are Exhausted).

I've seen some players leave their Exhaust row full in order to clear a Shadow dice from their Hunt or Shadow row - and suffer the almost guaranteed exhaustion on their next turn. Usually these players have Power rows filled with one or two colours, and they are banking on not drawing one of those colours when they test for exhaustion.

For your other question, I've updated the FAQ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Alvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you over fill the exhaust row, when removing exhaust dice do you remove every single exhaust dice or do you take a max of 3 and the spares fill in the gap?

This is more of a curiosity for solo mode as I've gotten a fair few in one go before.

One other thing, if you're exhausted but choose to remove a shadow dice, you still have to roll afterwards, correct? I assume that as you're still exhausted you still need to rest again though.

Just trying to ensure I'm doing it right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ (above):
What if I have to resolve a dream, but the row is full?
Just put the dream to the side of that row and resolve it as normal. Rows can be overfilled.

Rest
Return either: 1 [Shadow] dream; or all [Exhaust] dreams on your dreamer card to the bag.

Quote:
One other thing, if you're exhausted but choose to remove a shadow dice, you still have to roll afterwards, correct? I assume that as you're still exhausted you still need to rest again though.
Roll what afterwards, there is no afterwards, your turn is over... do you mean next turn?

I filled up a Shadow/Exhaust row on a Nightmare's turn. Do I immediately become a Nightmare/Exhausted?
No. You are only affected by filled rows during the "Check for filled rows" step of your turn. You still get to roll at least once on your next turn!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Alvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, I know that rows can be overfilled however I wanted clarification, I'm well aware of the phases of the turns but it did get me thinking more clearly.

Regardless I'm still am not 100% sure on the sleep dice situation but it seems that it is, as you said, we'd remove all sleep dice, regardless of the number of them, if you want to remove them from your exhaust track.

To be clear here's an example I was thinking of but didn't include earlier. If I had 5 sleep dice, 3 in the track and 2 overfilled, and choose to remove my sleep dice from the exhaust track, all will be removed regardless of position, provided that none are shadow dice. However if I removed a shadow from elsewhere the track will remain full, thus it will prevent me from pressing my luck in the following turn, so I still get a roll but only the one and then I can rest again and choose to remove sleep or another shadow dice.

In answer to your question. Of course I meant the next turn, resting is the final phase of the player turn. Naturally after this we resolve spooks or it's the next player's turn.

Perhaps I just needed to slow down a little bit when playing but I generally didn't have many issues with the process of play, it was mainly due to a seriously unlucky roll that I pulled 5 sleep dice from 7 rolled,I already had 2 sleep dice in the track plus spooks gave me another 1, that's a lot of sleep/exhaust dice in 1 hit.
I thought it seemed too easy for me to just rest and remove all but clearly it is, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, it's hopefully given me the clarity I was after.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim_Tidings wrote:
To be clear here's an example I was thinking of but didn't include earlier. If I had 5 sleep dice, 3 in the track and 2 overfilled, and choose to remove my sleep dice from the exhaust track, all will be removed regardless of position, provided that none are shadow dice. However if I removed a shadow from elsewhere the track will remain full, thus it will prevent me from pressing my luck in the following turn, so I still get a roll but only the one and then I can rest again and choose to remove sleep or another shadow dice.
Sounds like you're playing it right! Just treat overfill dice as if they are in the row.

Of course, not only does a filled Exhaust track prevent you from pressing your luck... it also leads to you potentially losing Power every time you leave it filled.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Alvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Shannon, the FAQ helps a lot and thanks for the reply too
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim_Tidings wrote:
Thanks Shannon, the FAQ helps a lot and thanks for the reply too
I try!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I still don't understand why rotating a die is useful. I thought yes but after reading the FAQ I'm very confused. Example: I have 3 dice un the exhaust row all with the exhaust symbol. Then because of 'Shadow of Imprisonment' I rotate one of them to the shadow side. Then I have, in the exhaust row, 2 exhaust and 1 shadow. Am I exhausted at the end of the turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions for solo game:
-When you have to rest, can return one shadow die or all dreams dice to the bag?
-When you reroll dice, you also place on the Nightmare' card?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Alvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ananda74 wrote:
Hello. I still don't understand why rotating a die is useful. I thought yes but after reading the FAQ I'm very confused. Example: I have 3 dice un the exhaust row all with the exhaust symbol. Then because of 'Shadow of Imprisonment' I rotate one of them to the shadow side. Then I have, in the exhaust row, 2 exhaust and 1 shadow. Am I exhausted at the end of the turn?

If the exhaust track/row is full then when checking if its full you become exhausted and need to rest. It's counting the dice not the symbols at that point.

At rest you can remove 1 shadow dice or ALL dice that show the exhaust/sleep side. When you become exhausted you can only roll once on your turn, so no pushing your luck. By making the track less full you can be recovered and start pushing your luck again.
If you have a shadow dice face, from imprisonment, then that dice will not be removed with the other exhaust dice, you must remove that separately.

This will also apply to solo mode, except every time you rest spooks will go on your player board.

Hope this helps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ananda74 wrote:
A few questions for solo game:
-When you have to rest, can return one shadow die or all dreams dice to the bag?
-When you reroll dice, you also place on the Nightmare' card?
When you have to rest, you still get to return one shadow dice or all exhaust dice (that means "with the exhaust symbol showing" not "dice in the exhaust row").

When you reroll dice in the solo mode, just put the power dice back into the bag (except, the Lady of Envy has a special rule for this).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Fernandez Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim_Tidings wrote:
Ananda74 wrote:
Hello. I still don't understand why rotating a die is useful. I thought yes but after reading the FAQ I'm very confused. Example: I have 3 dice un the exhaust row all with the exhaust symbol. Then because of 'Shadow of Imprisonment' I rotate one of them to the shadow side. Then I have, in the exhaust row, 2 exhaust and 1 shadow. Am I exhausted at the end of the turn?

If the exhaust track/row is full then when checking if its full you become exhausted and need to rest. It's counting the dice not the symbols at that point.

At rest you can remove 1 shadow dice or ALL dice that show the exhaust/sleep side. When you become exhausted you can only roll once on your turn, so no pushing your luck. By making the track less full you can be recovered and start pushing your luck again.
If you have a shadow dice face, from imprisonment, then that dice will not be removed with the other exhaust dice, you must remove that separately.

This will also apply to solo mode, except every time you rest spooks will go on your player board.

Hope this helps.

Aaahh,ok. Thank you very much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 2 player game, if one player bbn is a nightmare and the second bbn player becomes one... does the first player/nightmare win or does the player with the most power win?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyFlyChicken wrote:
In a 2 player game, if one player bbn is a nightmare and the second bbn player becomes one... does the first player/nightmare win or does the player with the most power win?
When there are no dreamers left, the Nightmare with the most power eats the other one. zombie
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gon-Chee
msg tools
I feel like I'm missing something in reguards to the imprisonment shadow effect. the instruction booklet discribes imprisonment as "ending your turn early" but i couldnt imagine why you would want that.

to my understanding the shadow effect causes you to turn an exhastion dream in your exhaustion track into a shadow dream. which can only be cleared one at a time by resting.

it seems like imprisonment is the illogical choice of die since:

A) it has less or equal chance for power than the other colours

B) it has the highest chance of exhaustion out of all the colours

and
C) the shadow effect only makes it HARDER to clear your exhaustion track

what is the purpose of choosing to roll the imprisonment die besides becomeing a nightmare. is there some interaction or rule I am missinterpreting?

please advise as i enjoy every aspect of this game but i just cant seem to wrap my head around this problem
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Catfish_cupcake wrote:
I feel like I'm missing something in reguards to the imprisonment shadow effect. the instruction booklet discribes imprisonment as "ending your turn early" but i couldnt imagine why you would want that.

to my understanding the shadow effect causes you to turn an exhastion dream in your exhaustion track into a shadow dream. which can only be cleared one at a time by resting.

it seems like imprisonment is the illogical choice of die since:

A) it has less or equal chance for power than the other colours

B) it has the highest chance of exhaustion out of all the colours

and
C) the shadow effect only makes it HARDER to clear your exhaustion track

what is the purpose of choosing to roll the imprisonment die besides becomeing a nightmare. is there some interaction or rule I am missinterpreting?

please advise as i enjoy every aspect of this game but i just cant seem to wrap my head around this problem
The strategy you like isn't necessarily the one other players like. Each of the Nightmares plays to a player strategy (high-points/death for red, give/take for green, fast-paced for blue and slow-paced for yellow). So what seems illogical to you might be logical to someone else.

Yellow has a higher risk of exhausting, but is otherwise pretty low risk. It won't send you into the hands of nightmares like blue will. It won't potentially eliminate you like red will. And it won't hand control of which dice get rerolled like green will. It's good for a player who enjoys "slow and steady wins the race" strategies.

By all means, if you don't enjoy that, don't roll yellows!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gon-Chee
msg tools
Thanks for the reply, i was worried i was missreading something
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Carroll
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few questions about the Nightmare of Envy's power.

First, the way it is worded is:
either the dreamer rerolls any two dreams of their choice (and you take any 1 or 2 rolled); or the dreamer rerolls one dream of your choice"

Does this mean that if the dreamer picks the dream to reroll, the nightmare doesn't get the power if they roll it?

Second, can't this create a massive loop? If they reroll a blue dream, for example, and it's a shadow, they can pick another green out of the bag and end up rolling into another envy trigger. Also, if the dreams rerolled are both green, then either the nightmare takes the power rolled, or they roll a shadow or exhaust, in which case it re-triggers the ability again.

I played this past week where this happened, and it went on for a few minutes before finally stopping, and it gave the nightmare a HUGE boost.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrs.Madsci wrote:
First, the way it is worded is:
either the dreamer rerolls any two dreams of their choice (and you take any 1 or 2 rolled); or the dreamer rerolls one dream of your choice"

Does this mean that if the dreamer picks the dream to reroll, the nightmare doesn't get the power if they roll it?
So this is how it works:
1. The Nightmare of Envy picks: "Do I want to let them pick 2 dreams, or do I want to pick 1 dream for them to reroll?"
2a. (Nightmare of Envy picks 1): Dreamer rerolls the dream picked. If it is a Power, they keep it. If it is a bad symbol, they also keep it.
2b. (Nightmare of Envy lets Dreamer pick 2): Dreamer picks any 2 dreams (including Hunts). They reroll those dreams. If it is a bad symbol, they keep it. If it is a Power, they give it to the Nightmare of Envy to keep.

Quote:
Second, can't this create a massive loop? If they reroll a blue dream, for example, and it's a shadow, they can pick another green out of the bag and end up rolling into another envy trigger. Also, if the dreams rerolled are both green, then either the nightmare takes the power rolled, or they roll a shadow or exhaust, in which case it re-triggers the ability again.
Correct. It can create a loop! (Just like the Nightmare of the Depths can create a loop by drawing and handing over Depths dreams.) If the Nightmare of Envy lets the Dreamer pick 2 dreams, and the Dreamer chooses to pick 2 Envy dreams, then yes it will result in what you said. (And if you are a Nightmare of Envy, feel free to giggle maniacally when this does happen.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Carroll
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foxtale wrote:
Wrs.Madsci wrote:
First, the way it is worded is:
either the dreamer rerolls any two dreams of their choice (and you take any 1 or 2 rolled); or the dreamer rerolls one dream of your choice"

Does this mean that if the dreamer picks the dream to reroll, the nightmare doesn't get the power if they roll it?
So this is how it works:
1. The Nightmare of Envy picks: "Do I want to let them pick 2 dreams, or do I want to pick 1 dream for them to reroll?"
2a. (Nightmare of Envy picks 1): Dreamer rerolls the dream picked. If it is a Power, they keep it. If it is a bad symbol, they also keep it.
2b. (Nightmare of Envy lets Dreamer pick 2): Dreamer picks any 2 dreams (including Hunts). They reroll those dreams. If it is a bad symbol, they keep it. If it is a Power, they give it to the Nightmare of Envy to keep.

OK, so they resolve the dreams normally, and if it happens to be a green shadow it goes to the envy nightmare and restarts the loop. So if the envy nightmare picks a green dream, they only get it if it doesn't come up power. But if the dreamer picks green, the nightmare definitely gets it regardless of the result of the roll. Am I understanding this correctly?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrs.Madsci wrote:
OK, so they resolve the dreams normally, and if it happens to be a green shadow it goes to the envy nightmare and restarts the loop. So if the envy nightmare picks a green dream, they only get it if it doesn't come up power. But if the dreamer picks green, the nightmare definitely gets it regardless of the result of the roll. Am I understanding this correctly?
Correct!

Also... one of the nastiest things a Nightmare of Envy can do is force a dreamer to reroll two dreams of that dreamer's choice when they only have dreams in their Power row.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |