Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I had something to say...what was it?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I primarily bought the game for solo play but I know several in my group would like to play as well, if only to jump in every now and then. Is it possible/realistic to play two campaigns at the same time or would they just jump into wherever I am when we play as a group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 5 friends that are interested, each could grab a starting character and play when available. The game mechanics work well with this dynamic and scales accordingly. But only you and three others could play at a time.

Otherwise, you can use 3rd party tracking apps and webpages to help run simultaneous campaigns. The card management aspect stinks but it's very doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Takes quite a bit of extra work to run two concurrent campaigns out of one box, and you'd have to figure out some way to deal with ability enhancement differences between the campaigns.

It would be much easier just to have the group jump into the solo campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Berro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I played one campaign solo (2 characters) while my wife and I played a different campaign together (2 different characters), at the same time. It worked great.

I don't use any of the "legacy" elements in which permanent stickers are applied, I just kept track of our separate campaigns on a spreadsheet to ensure that I did not confuse the status of each campaign. For item cards in the stores I kept three piles: one for each campaign and one for what was available in both campaigns.

The only real restriction I found is that I needed to make sure not to end a play session in the middle of a scenario, because that would have taken up table space and game elements which was needed for the other campaign's play session. Since scenarios take us around 1.5 to 2.5 hours each, that wasn't a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I didn't expect an answer that fit my needs that well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Started typing that and walked away...by time I submitted it had two more responses. I purchased the removable sticker set too, so maybe that will help if I do want to go back to square one with the group.

I may try to go the 3rd party app direction that JD mentioned or the spreadsheet direction Ed mentioned (I'm an accountant so I love spreadsheets)...but might just end up having the group jump in and out. I don't know that any of them would care to play the "whole" campaign and I certainly don't want to wait around if it isn't getting to the group table.

I'll definitely be taking all of this into consideration - thanks everybody, super excited to jump off this bridge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kassler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently running two concurrent campaigns. I use an app to track accomplishments, unlocked scenarios, etc. I sort the cards back into their original decks when I am swapping between campaigns so that everything is available, but all is tracked in the app, so I can pull everything back out as needed.

The only minor hangup may be with enhancing cards, but I plan to handle that by using sleeves and stickering the sleeves while they are on the cards, then removing them for the other campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
The question of multiple campaigns may have come up before. Once or twice.

Multiple groups?
Do you have to buy multiple copies for parallel game play in two groups?
Having a tough time wrapping my head around how two parties will work
two parties, one campaign
Campaign Mode - Multiple Parties
Multiple campaigns
Looking for recommendations on how to carry out a Campaign when dealing with multiple playing groups.
How easy is it to run multiple Gloomhaven campaigns?
Multiple Play Groups
Can I run 2 campaigns simultaneously?
Multiple parties vs single party with drop-in drop-out players
How fun & manageable is it to run multiple campaigns at the same time?
Multiple Concurrent Campaigns? Legacy or Campaign?
Gloomhaven multiple parties from the start?
Advice on this multiple-parties situation
Is it possible to play Gloomhaven with multiple groups
Multiple campaigns on same world map not possible?
How do you guys handle multiple parties?
multiple parties in single world, or multiple campaigns
Multiple campaigns with 1 campaign board?
Playing Gloomhave with multiple different groups
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorry Moller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to start up multiple threads on this topic. is it possible? tumorous, do you use an app or a spreadhsheet to keep track of the threads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
LorryMoller wrote:
tumorous, do you use an app or a spreadhsheet to keep track of the threads?
BGG search has a bad rep, but searching for posts within game forums works pretty well.

https://boardgamegeek.com/spsearch.php?objectid=174430&objec...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, I did actually search.

I don't remember the search terms I tried but it clearly wasn't that...thanks for the reading material thoughmodest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
if the group is going to play it quite often, it may be worth the extra effort to run separate campaigns.
But if they're only going to play a handful of times, it would be easier just to have them join in for a scenario or two at a time in your solo campaign (you play only one of your solo characters, while the group members play their own characters. Though if your solo characters have leveled up quite a bit, it may be more enjoyable for you to just create a new character to play with the group, so that levels are more equal.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Soup
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
if the group is going to play it quite often, it may be worth the extra effort to run separate campaigns.
But if they're only going to play a handful of times, it would be easier just to have them join in for a scenario or two at a time in your solo campaign (you play only one of your solo characters, while the group members play their own characters. Though if your solo characters have leveled up quite a bit, it may be more enjoyable for you to just create a new character to play with the group, so that levels are more equal.)

I need to discuss further with them, I think. We’re wrapping up pandemic season 1, and the intention was not for this to become the next campaign game (we alternate weeks where we play whatever we want and we play a campaign...next we were going to check out seafall), but more of an every now and then thing...like I said, I bought it for solo play primarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls