Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Davis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I just got the revised core set and have Reign and Reverie preordered and am ready to move past the tutorial decks.

I'm pretty sure I understand the deckbuilding rules but was hoping people might have advice on general starting points for what to include and how much of it beyond just the basic legalities.

Like with a Magic deck you start with 24 lands and 4 copies each of 9 other cards fitting the mana curve. Probably in two colours or less. You deviate from that based on what you're making and what you have available but it's a good starting point.

Stuff like in a corp deck how much ICE? All kinds? How many agendas? Should you be hitting specific agenda values? Is there any tension between neutral cards and using your influence? Are you missing out if you don't use up your influence, in general? How much economy stuff? How many assets? Should you focus on one kind of damage?

For the runner multiple copies of single ice breakers or diversify? Same stuff about neutral vs. on faction vs. spending influence? How much effort do you put into defending against trace?

I recognize that it all varies but are there any good starting point guidelines? Skeletons to build on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some really good beginner's guides out there, which hopefully someone else can point you to, because hell if I can remember, but I'll try to hit some of the simpler points.

Deck size: generally your minimum for runners, 49 for corps. The runner one is easy; some of your cards are better than others, and you can only have three of each, so by cutting the weaker ones you increase the density of the stronger ones. For the corp, it's because a 49 card deck has as many agenda points as the standard 45, but it has four more cards that can't be stolen, which gives you slightly better odds against random accesses.

You don't need to spend all of your influence, but yeah, there are enough things that other factions do better that you're probably gonna want to.
You also generally want to diversify your ice types; make the runner find and install all of their breakers.

With all of this advice, there are exceptions. Skorpios decks, for example, often focus on taking out the runner's fracter, so they run barrier heavy.

Other questions are harder to answer. How much ice, and what kind of econ? Those depend on what kind of deck you're building. If you're going for a flatline victory, especially with, say, Punitive Counterstrike, you need a lot less ice than if you're trying to score out in a massive HB remote. (FWIW, in my day, about 16-18 ice was considered reasonable; modern decks often run a lot lighter though.) Trial and error is your best teacher here. (Also, if you build decks in NRDB, my favorite feature is the draw simulator in the Check tab. Make your deck, then draw ten cards, reset, and repeat about a dozen times, and think about how you would have played the beginning of each of those games. Did you draw enough ice? Could you afford to rez it? (Another useful feature: in the Collection and Settings tab, you can tell it which expansion and how many cores you own.))
Other questions, like how much trace defense to use, are even harder to answer. That's what we call a meta call; the answer, unsatisfyingly, is "how much trace do you expect to run into?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For basic Netrunner deckbuilding, I highly recommend two videos by WillingDone:

Principles of Corp Deckbuilding: https://youtu.be/02Jvb-q6DwU

Evaluating Runner Play: https://youtu.be/CR42blvNHqg

They provide amazing analysis of the different goals each side has in the game and the variety of ways to achieve those goals. From that, he distills the fundamental considerations that go into deckbuilding in the game.

I can't recommend these videos enough for a beginning player. The card pool has evolved since these were produced, so while some of his examples are not as strong as they used to be, the fundamental principles for decision-making have not changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Davis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! That's really great stuff. Thanks especially for the database and the videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Vaduva
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen Team Covenant's recent videos for new players? You can find the main article here with embedded videos:

https://teamcovenant.com/learning/android-netrunner/how-to-p...

They have 2 well done videos on basic and advanced deckbuilding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the Team Covenant videos. I recently decided to get back into this game on a casual level, and their videos gave me great advice on what I should aim for and how to evaluate cards in the current environment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.