Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Henley
United States
Hopkinton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Consider My First Bohnanza, perhaps repackaged in your existing Bohnanza box or something neutral. I like how it stages learning the game. While I don't believe the games's 4+ rating in general, it might work for you.

Also, I suggest Matching Lions, which is available via The Gamecrafter: https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/matching-lions. It's a simple tableau-building game with some take-that; it's easy for kids and palatable for adults.

I liked Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League with the designer's rules for kids, found under Variants here: http://www.erlkoenig.ws/hrrg/website/home/receiver.php?do=Sh.... But while tolerated, it was not one of my son's favorites. YMMV.

What my son loved, however, was an extremely simplified version of Formula De. We played it so that overrunning a curve just caused a spinout: place the car backwards and start the next turn in 1st gear. (See also this thread for a different approach and links to some other kid-friendly game adaptations: Gaming with a 5 Year-Old: Formula De.)

Although I suspect that they would not work yet, my son became very fond of both Splendor and Jaipur.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Mickelson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had good luck with Cartagena at a young age- it's easy to modify the rules for little kids by just changing it to having 3 cards in your hand and draw to replace after your turn. We started out with just one meeple each (which is essentially pirate-themed Candyland and pretty boring), but progressed quickly to using multiple meeples, which makes it slightly more interesting.

+1 Hey, That's My Fish!- the action is pretty simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take everything I'm about to recommend with a truck load of salt. Kids are very different on what mechanics they can reasonably grok.

Barenpark went over well our extended family for that age range. My son (three years) also likes to play with the pieces. He just drafts any piece on his turn. Some coaching required . Depending on how spacial your daughter is may not like it.

Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise is really a kids game, but I've been known to play with all adults. Just show her some pictures to see if she likes the theme.

Depending on how savvy she is you could try Jaipur. I've played that for some time with my daughter, though she was six at the time we started. Mechanics are simple enough but don't expect any meta for a while.

Last one I have would be a bit of a stretch. We ran Imhotep through that same extended family group via my daughter. They liked it, though I think it was the loading/sailing a sibling's ship. They were not really aware how points were scored. It was a bit chaotic to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tang
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
redwindmill wrote:

Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise is really a kids game, but I've been known to play with all adults. Just show her some pictures to see if she likes the theme.

Depending on how savvy she is you could try Jaipur. I've played that for some time with my daughter, though she was six at the time we started. Mechanics are simple enough but don't expect any meta for a while.

+1 on both of these games. Big hits with my family. My oldest is 6-yo and Jaipur is his favorite. Hare & Tortoise is a big hit with my 3-yo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Any ideas?
Sorry for not giving a gaming recommendation but an educational one: I say that she has to play the games that you have or none. It worked for her brother and so it will work for her. Of course she wants to play more grown up games because her older brother (aka her biggest hero in life) plays them but she is five years younger and has to get used to the age difference.

Better have the discussion now on games than in seven or eight years (and everytime in between) when he is going to partys to have some beer with friends and she wants to go too.... While beeing 11 or 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taipan101 wrote:
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Any ideas?
Sorry for not giving a gaming recommendation but an educational one: I say that she has to play the games that you have or none. It worked for her brother and so it will work for her. Of course she wants to play more grown up games because her older brother (aka her biggest hero in life) plays them but she is five years younger and has to get used to the age difference.

Better have the discussion now on games than in seven or eight years (and everytime in between) when he is going to partys to have some beer with friends and she wants to go too.... While beeing 11 or 12.

As much as this is something to consider for the OP, it might not be as simple as this. My daughter is similar to the OPs in the sense that she's very competitive and also hates co-ops because of it. Every one she's played she's walked out half way through no matter whether kids or adults games. This is not usual for her and the only game outside of co-ops she's walked off saying it's boring was ticket to ride lol.

She too doesn't like many of the younger kids games because they're often a bit too friendly I think lol! Also likes to have decisions regardless of whether she capable of them and hates repetition and she has no brother to worship??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taipan101 wrote:
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Any ideas?

I'm not sure I see the analogy between playing board games and drinking beer. I don't find that to be particularly persuasive. What life lesson is there in forcing her to play games that she doesn't like? I have a hard time making any connection between doing so and any decisions she'll face 5 years on. I'm happy to set age-appropriate boundaries, including on board game content, but that's not really the point of my initial inquiry at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Wood
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
My four year old loves Machi Koro. We take out the Business Center because he doesn't quite understand it yet, and hates it when someone else "takes his card".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Taipan101 wrote:
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Any ideas?

What life lesson is there in forcing her to play games that she doesn't like?
The lesson would be that she cant have everything her borther has because she is five years younger than him.

The analogy could be everthing that has to do with age:
Times when you go to bed
Movies you are allowed to watch
Attractions you may ride in theme parks
and so on.

My point was that you will experience the same discussion on and on until she is 21 and free to do what she wants so better start now than later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Off The Grid
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Get Off The Grid and On To Fun!
mb
Here is a new game you can try out!

Off The Grid Board Game -- Prototype available on The Game Crafter!
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2052804/grid-board-game-pro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Zooloretto is possible, I played it with my 5 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taipan101 wrote:
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Taipan101 wrote:
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Any ideas?

The lesson would be that she cant have everything her borther has because she is five years younger than him.

Times when you go to bed
and so on.

My point was that you will experience the same discussion on and on until she is 21 and free to do what she wants so better start now than later

How is the types of board game I play with her the same as boundaries at bed time? I just don't understand at all the point you're trying to make. When my son was younger, I bought games he would enjoy. Why would I not do the same for my daughter (who has different interests, aesthetics and approaches)? Do you not see board games as inherently indulgent as an adult past-time as well as for children? Theme parks are as well, but certainly I don't have to spell out the inadequacy of the analogy as it relates to age differences (specifically as we discuss maturity versus physical safety)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taipan101 wrote:
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Taipan101 wrote:
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Any ideas?

Times when you go to bed
and so on.

Yes apologies, but I've got to say that you've been pretty assumptive here with no actual knowledge of the kid involved and I'm pretty certain the OP knows her own children pretty well. At no point did the OP say the younger one wants to play the same games as the 9 yr old and therefore nothing to suggest that she is trying to aspire to her brother. The OP simply said that she has no interest in the same games he liked when he was her age?? The younger one likes little prince which looks and appears to be a kids game so I would think this would indicate that it's not necessarily the look or maturity of the game which is the issue. It was also pointed out that the younger one dislikes co-op games and with the above indicates she prefers more competition/meanness (as can be found in little prince) than can generally be found in games aimed at younger kids - or at least this is is a possibility other than copying her brother.

This is exactly like my girl as mentioned and she likes very different things and games to my similarly aged niece and different kids will like different things so saying what worked for her brother, will work for her is quite simply ridiculous! My daughter hates boys and would never aspire to any of them or anything they do - she just considers them to be smelly urchins shake So are you saying all kids personalities and needs are exactly the same - if you are then you will have problems parenting. For example, if your first kid liked football obsessively and your later kids didn't, you would force all of your kids to do the same even if they hated it??????? And if one can read at five, you're going to come down hard on the next who can't??? and so on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sangrada, Pompeii, Dragonheart, Forbidden Island, Potion Explosion, Lost Woods, Patchwork, Codenames Disney, Santorini...along with my original suggestion of Zooloretto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
Yes apologies, but I've got to say that you've been pretty assumptive here with no actual knowledge of the kid involved and I'm pretty certain the OP knows her own children pretty well. At no point did the OP say the younger one wants to play the same games as the 9 yr old and therefore nothing to suggest that she is trying to aspire to her brother. The OP simply said that she has no interest in the same games he liked when he was her age??
Well he said
enemyoftheworld wrote:
she hates them. I don't know what the hangup is
enemyoftheworld wrote:
which has had me recategorizing a bit just to see if there's something psychological going on there
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Any ideas?
And I gave him my opinion: Younger ones want the same that the older ones have.

I just did exactly what he asked for and you can agree or disagree on my idea. But I don't get the point to justify when you ask for an idea and get one.

and at OP: I didn't talk about physical restrictions in theme parks. For example Splash Mountain and The Tower of Terror both have the same height requirements so do Primeval Whirl and the Revenge of the Mummy. But they are "slightly" different when it comes to the mental side of impact on the ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taipan101 wrote:
and at OP: I didn't talk about physical restrictions in theme parks. For example Splash Mountain and The Tower of Terror both have the same height requirements so do Primeval Whirl and the Revenge of the Mummy. But they are "slightly" different when it comes to the mental side of impact on the ride.

You don't think the physical action is what creates the mental response? My question is to the parallel you're drawing between that mental impact and board games? How, exactly, does this serve your point?

At any rate, you're absolutely right. You don't have to justify your position. I concede that point wholeheartedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Taipan101 wrote:

You don't think the physical action is what creates the mental response? My question is to the parallel you're drawing between that mental impact and board games? How, exactly, does this serve your point?
Sure sometimes the physical action creates the mental response but sometimes not. Walking through The Walking Dead maze during helloween horror nights doesn't require any physical skills besides the ability to move (as does watching the show on TV) but I think we can agree that this would not be suitable for small children.

Of course it is not scary or something like that for a child to play boardgames that dont suit his or her age but nevertheless age restrictions are printed on a board game for a reason or for different reasons. Sure you can skip a year or two sometimes and six year olds can play most of the 8+ games but from my experience I would not exaggerate it.

I just think it is better to teach her that there are different things in life which require a certain age. And in my opinion it is easier to do that with board games at the age of 4 so she better understands it when it comes to the "more important" things later in her childhood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celestia, King of Tokyo, Welcome to the Dungeon, Love Letter, maybe some other games with a high take that factor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O Zoo Le Mio
Karuba
Stone Age Jr
Catan Jr
Carcassonne
Littlest Pet Shop Mall Madness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taipan101 wrote:
SaggyUK wrote:
Yes apologies, but I've got to say that you've been pretty assumptive here with no actual knowledge of the kid involved and I'm pretty certain the OP knows her own children pretty well. At no point did the OP say the younger one wants to play the same games as the 9 yr old and therefore nothing to suggest that she is trying to aspire to her brother. The OP simply said that she has no interest in the same games he liked when he was her age??
Well he said
enemyoftheworld wrote:
she hates them. I don't know what the hangup is
enemyoftheworld wrote:
which has had me recategorizing a bit just to see if there's something psychological going on there
enemyoftheworld wrote:
Any ideas?
And I gave him my opinion: Younger ones want the same that the older ones have.

I just did exactly what he asked for and you can agree or disagree on my idea. But I don't get the point to justify when you ask for an idea and get one.

Not all younger ones want to be older - my one is always saying she wishes she could go back to being four or younger as things have become "too complicated" - her own words shake

Well it didn't come across as an idea/opinion/suggestion to me starting with the first sentence that you were giving an educational recommendation inferring that the OP needs to be educated and then continuing that you think OP needs to be dealing with this problem (not convinced this is a problem in the first place) and better to start these discussions now with the little one before OP has more pressing problems - all suggesting you think this is in fact the problem that you don't think OP has dealt with appropriately already when it's just as likely nothing to do with boundary issues being set or not being set by the OP.

Just sounded more like a parenting lecture to me overall which I don't think the OP's original post warranted. I disagreed more politely at first but you continued hence my last post. Maybe you used the wrong wording and wasn't intended or maybe I misread you in which case I do apologise.

Aside from the physical safety limits and restrictions set by fair ground rides, other considerations are irrelevant in my opinion as it would completely depend on the child similarly to most other aspects of life including what board games they want to play, films they can watch and so on. There are rides I would let my daughter on as she's a little bit of an adrenalin freak and she has cousins and other kids I know 10+ who I would never let on the same as they would end up traumatised. Completely depends on the kid and their particular personalities/needs. The same reason I wouldn't let my daughter on any water slide/ride regardless of how tame or childish as I know she has specific issues with these.

Parents (most ) are better evaluating what their kids will cope with and what they will deal with maturely enough and this will differ with every kid including the age they can read and when things stop being a choking hazard - some kids will continue with this until they reach school age (some 10 yr olds like my brother once end up in hospital with various things stuck in their ear/nose) and some are risk averse and can be trusted to stop shoving things in their gob unwisely at age 2 or less. Even down to the age you let them stay out later and go to parties - I could be trusted to be responsible and capable of looking after myself so my parents were lax with me plus I started working part time when I was 13 so had my own money to spend as I wished and left home and paid my own rent/bills when I was 17, paying my own way through uni leaving them with little choice in the matter. My brother on the other hand was less mature and would end up drunk and disorderly and getting into minor trouble so they took a harder stand on him with more restrictions until he could prove otherwise which didn't occur until he was in his twenties when he got his first job and finally left home for good nearer 30! - a set age in this respect would not have been useful or fair on either of us - just as another example!

Regardless, as with many things, some age classifications on games are often useless as many designers/publishers shove a 13+/14+ or older age range than required on their games in order to avoid the expensive testing, assessments or safety checks required to put a younger age range on. I have plenty of games that my daughter could play at 4/5/6 that state a much higher age but I evaluated them to be suitable for her as I do with many other things taking her personality, particular likes and ability into account same as I do differently for all my little family members and god children.

I do agree with bedtimes though - bodies do need a more age dependent amount of sleep in most cases and bed time should be set accordingly - if only I could practice what I preach laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tregidgo
England
flag msg tools
spot it!and picturika (spelt wrong) are excellent games. any game that needs sharp eyes and fast reactions have a natural handicap built in (i will beat my nephew one day).

you can also try more traditional games- monopoly is fun if you don't know how unfair it is. draughts (checkers) has been the game of choice for grandparent/grandchild interaction for i don't know how long (even chess is possible if you dont introduce all the pieces at once). connect 4 is an easy game for an adult to play without tactics (let the kid think, you just pick a random columb). i would even vote for classic card games- snap and go fish is fine but i recommend "goofspiel" or "Gops" as a good level playing field game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stella M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will throw in same not obviously kids looking games both our 10-year-old and soon-to-be-5-year-old girls like:

Cheating Moth

Würfel Bohnanza

LEGO Orient Bazaar

Spot It

Pickomino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin

Not only can your daughter win, but she can stab you in the back as she does it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cass
Australia
flag msg tools
Don't be a dick
badge
Your fun isn't wrong
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko, and it has an online game on bgaonline as well.

Kingdomino My 6yo can't beat me in this one, but she can beat her 8yo sister. There are some easy enough rule modifications (such as completely eliminating the need for a 5x5 grid for the 5yo) that help balance out the game. (ETA: She smashed me in a 2-player 7x7 game last night!!)

One other suggestion might, if you haven't tried it, might be to run with games that have really good youtube videos. The Felica Day/Wil Wheaton Munchkin playthrough is awesome. It might help get her excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PitchCar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide