Parry Pollock
Canada
Whistler
BC
flag msg tools
Family Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indigo, the more strategic deeper version of Tsuro.
Kingdomino, definitely a solid suggestion. My 6 year old plays this and likes it a lot. The only thing I'll say about it, is that it's "multi-player solitaire" as the saying goes. Not tons of interaction. There is with the tile selection, but then you're building on your own. And for me, with my kids, I play board games to interact with my kids.
Santorini, a great abstract strategy game. Great for kids and adults alike, but mainly plays as a 2 player game, not the greatest with higher numbers.
Coloretto for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibor Tyralla
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
any ground, you'll eventually unearth bones
mbmbmbmbmb
my 5 1/2 year old daughter got surprisingly hooked up on Hanamikoji
the rules are actually pretty simple and the art is beautiful. and once I explained to her, that she shouldn't fixate only on winning her favorite geisha, and other basic tips/tricks she started making quite meaningful choices with her actions. she actually has beaten me once already... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anitra Smith
United States
Auburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been following this thread for a long time, and started thinking about games that my 7 year old plays and that I could see my 4 year old playing in another year or so. These ones don't require much (if any) reading, have limited choices, and look "grown up".

Tokaido - it's a journey. Have fun no matter whether you do ALL THE THINGS or not.

Century: Golem Edition - he loves trading the gems around with his cards, even if it won't get him toward the goal of a particular golem. (Century: Spice Road is fine too, but the gems in Golem are really attractive to kids.)

Senshi - easy to learn, hard to master. Pick up tiles and score stacks of tiles.

Onitama - feels like chess, but quite a bit easier, and your possible moves each turn are mapped out in front of you on the cards you have.

Lanterns: The Harvest Festival - match up colors, collect cards.

Quoridor - a very simple abstract game. Build a maze and race your opponent to the opposite side of the board in the fewest turns.

All of these games are beautifully "grown up" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Biggs
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games that I have had remarkable success with my nephews have been Bob Ross: The Art of Chill, For Sale, and Cardline Animals.

Downforce may be an option, as well. There aren't many rules and if you need to secretly aid her, you can play cards that help her cars get ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Carlson
msg tools
Karuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe most of these have been mentioned, A few below my daughter played when she was 6 and a few my 4 year old has been currently playing. It is possible she is just not challenged by the kids games. My daughter seemed to pick up on older games faster than my boys did. My 4 year old still plays kids games but wants to participate when we play older games I usually try to find ways that lets him help or participate knowing his attention will waver and he will go do something else.

Kingdomino (4 and 6 year old)
Hey, That's My Fish! (4 and 6 year old)
Patchwork (6 year old)
Sheriff of Nottingham (6 year old)
Meeple Circus (6 year old)
Cottage Garden (6 year old)
Barenpark (6 year old)
Karuba (6 year old)
Imhotep (6 year old)
Dream Home (6 year old)
 Thumb up
 tip