GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,971 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Do you think they’ll ever run another Kickstarter for this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Wickham
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious if anything has been said about another campaign being started in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wickdawg01 wrote:
Curious if anything has been said about another campaign being started in the future.

Nothing has been said but if it did happen it wouldn’t be until around 2020 since that’s the timeframe to finish fulfilling the most recent Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it though. After the current kickstarter Adam will probably prefer to do something new. Maybe a straight reprint funding for expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Kok
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it was his intention to get his business to a point were he didn't need a KS to keep the game and expansions in stock. The scarcity that we're currently experiencing is due to the fact that Poots underestimated the demand after the KS causing the production runs to be too small. Since he still has to fulfill the second part (Wave 3 & 4) of the last KS, I think he may not have the time or manpower to start a new production run, but I'm convinced that once the KS is completely fulfilled, he'll start stocking up his store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wickdawg01 wrote:

I believe Poots will likely focus his attention on one of his other planned games

KD Heroes or whatever and the new game will likely be on kickstarter.

New expansions for KDM will feature in the kickstarter though i imagine for the next game. With so many expansions currently coming for KDM it is unlikely to see much more content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Greek
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In my opinion, the best move woukd be to design another type of game set in the KDM universe. Then run a third Monster campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
My guess is that they might run smaller kickstarters for a single large expansion (e.g. The King or Ringtail Fox) or include KDM promo stuff in other Kickstarters, but there won’t be another on the same level as the first two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam probably will run another KS, as the model works for him, but I would expect him to finish Monster 1.5 KS before doing so. With luck, he delivers Wave 3 this year, and Wave 4 next year, launching his next project Black Friday 2019. I doubt that he does another huge round of Monster adding a dozen new Expansions, but I could see him doing a final Monster 2.0 KS to close it out with a new, complete 2.0 rulebook, Lantern Festival, Ringtail Fox, and reprint of all Expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
Adam probably will run another KS, as the model works for him, but I would expect him to finish Monster 1.5 KS before doing so. With luck, he delivers Wave 3 this year, and Wave 4 next year, launching his next project Black Friday 2019. I doubt that he does another huge round of Monster adding a dozen new Expansions, but I could see him doing a final Monster 2.0 KS to close it out with a new, complete 2.0 rulebook, Lantern Festival, Ringtail Fox, and reprint of all Expansions.
Don't forget Rust Ocean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasiven wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:
Don't forget Rust Ocean

... and Rust Ocean!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:

There are about 5 or 6 different ways to set oneself up for major letdowns in this post lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:

There are about 5 or 6 different ways to set oneself up for major letdowns in this post lol

True.

BTW, your comment also applies to actually playing the game.

Honestly, though, I'm not worried if/when any of that should come to pass. It's not like I am lacking on KD stuff to keep me busy for a very, very long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see him giving up KS, its just been to good to him so far. I imagine we will keep seeing poots on there in one form or another for quite some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
The4thJawa wrote:
I believe it was his intention to get his business to a point were he didn't need a KS to keep the game and expansions in stock.

Well, that was before he ran a $12.4 million follow-up campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don’t forget the several million he must have earned in the pledge manager! I wish we could see how much that’s earned. I have to guess another 3-5M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Yeah. 6 years ago, Kickstarter was a way to raise capital without having to get a bank loan. Today, it's an unparalleled marketing strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while, but during Wave 2, PM revenues were shown to be over $2M. I don't think it hit $5M, but it might have closed at $3M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reed
United States
LINCOLNTON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume your asking because you currently don't have KDM. If this is the case I would strongly recommend picking up KDM 1.5 from the shop. It's been available for 6 months and does not seem to be supply constrained at this moment. Its unlikely we see a 1.5 core game KS anytime soon.

Poots really has three choices when it comes to meeting demand with current 1.0 Expansions.

A. Ignore the demand and let the current available stock sell.
B. Pay for a reprint upfront to restock expansions. I would assume he would have enough data to gauge potential interest in each of the expansions and thus order reprints based off demand.
C. Run a expansion only KS(Not very likely).

Fulfillment for the KDM 1.5 KS is already behind schedule.

Wave 1 & 2 were roughly 3 months late.

I imagine the delay's moving forward will only increase in length. Maybe we see Wave 3 Early 2019. Wave 4 & 5 will be a split of the new expansions. Wave 4 mid 2020 followed by Wave 5 in early 2021. So the earliest we see a new KS would be Fall of 2021.

So prior to KDM 1.5 taking up the next 4-5 years of his life, Adam has talked about other games he would like to explore in the Universe.

Kingdom Death: Titan- Deck-building Game.
Kingdom Death: Labyrinth- Dungeon Crawling/RPG think Descent 2.0
Lantern Festival- When LF was canceled Poots mentioned that it would need to released as a new core set.
Kingdom Death: Quest- Mass market game, original idea was to go PVC, but has decided against that.
Ringtail Fox- Poots mentioned the Ringtail fox during the 1.5 and said that its got so large it would end up being its own core game.

I would not mind seeing a hybrid KS that offers something like a new Core game(RTF or LF) maybe a few new expansions and Titan the Deck-building game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravenblade23x wrote:
B. Pay for a reprint upfront to restock expansions. I would assume he would have enough data to gauge potential interest in each of the expansions and thus order reprints based off demand.

Adam was already committed to reprinting expansions for restock as part of the KS. They simply sold faster than he had expected.

Claiming the 1.5 KS is "behind schedule" is untrue. KDM 1.5 is actually delivering on time, based on the amended timeframes that he had shared during the KS. Prior to KS close, Adam said he anticipated a 3-month rolling delay, and that is what we are actually seeing for delivery. Claiming that he is "behind schedule" willfully ignores that Adam had told Bakcers to expect an additional 3 months wait time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
ravenblade23x wrote:

Adam was already committed to reprinting expansions for restock as part of the KS. They simply sold faster than he had expected.

Claiming the 1.5 KS is "behind schedule" is untrue. KDM 1.5 is actually delivering on time, based on the amended timeframes that he had shared during the KS. Prior to KS close, Adam said he anticipated a 3-month rolling delay, and that is what we are actually seeing for delivery. Claiming that he is "behind schedule" willfully ignores that Adam had told Bakcers to expect an additional 3 months wait time.

But we all know that waves 1 and 2 were "just" reprints (he didn't even bother with the errata in the current expansions), and the bulk of the design work is yet to come. I would happily sign a 2019 wave 3 and a 2021 wave 4, but if I had to choose, I'd prefer that he takes as much time as he needs to deliver a finished (i.e. not rushed) product. He took 3 years to ship KDM 1.0, so I would say it is safer to assume that the 18 new expansions will suffer a subtantial delay. In fact, my bet is that he will split wave 4 in at least 2 separate waves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:
ravenblade23x wrote:

But we all know that waves 1 and 2 were "just" reprints (he didn't even bother with the errata in the current expansions), and the bulk of the design work is yet to come. I would happily sign a 2019 wave 3 and a 2021 wave 4, but if I had to choose, I'd prefer that he takes as much time as he needs to deliver a finished (i.e. not rushed) product. He took 3 years to ship KDM 1.0, so I would say it is safer to assume that the 18 new expansions will suffer a subtantial delay. In fact, my bet is that he will split wave 4 in at least 2 separate waves.

Wave 1 was definitely not "just" reprints - the Core game received a number of substantial upgrades in content, both rules and minis, in addition to packaging upgrades that largely eliminated the shipping damage that plagued the first KS. Those were real changes that made a difference.

Wave 2 was straight reprints, which was fine.

Wave 3 has all minis work completed for a while, so tooling can be done while print catches up. Rules are "just" advanced KDM, so much more manageable than a dozen Expansions.

Wave 4 seems to moving along as well. We've seen evidence of playtesting.

The idea that this should be delayed by years is nonsense, unfounded by anything at all. It's not like he has a cash crunch that halted his ability to produce things - the real issue with the first KS. Instead, he is flush with cash from Wave 1 & 2 sales, along with the allocated presales for Waves 3 & 4. Instead, the issue seems to be scaling up to meet increasing demand, and massive logistics, which seems to have gone ok so far.

I don't think we have to worry about Adam rushing anything - that's not his way. I'm not worried at all. I think it unfair to assume delay when there is no reason. I'll wait to hear when Adam is able to tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:

Wave 3 has all minis work completed for a while, so tooling can be done while print catches up. Rules are "just" advanced KDM, so much more manageable than a dozen Expansions.

I think you’re massively underselling this. They have 3D models for the narrative armor kit guys and the Gambler’s sculpt is probably finished by now, but turning those into plastic molds is at least as much time and more money than making the models. We’ve also yet to see more than concept art for Atnas and the rock worm encounter monster. Advanced KDM sounds like substantially more rules work than a single expansion, and of course the GC also contains 2 nemeses which will probably on the order of the Slenderman expansion.

I’ll be extremely surprised if we see the GC this year, or wave 4 finished before 2020. Personally I’m guessing 2021.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Church

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Gokufan wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:

I think you’re massively underselling this. They have 3D models for the narrative armor kit guys and the Gambler’s sculpt is probably finished by now, but turning those into plastic molds is at least as much time and more money than making the models. We’ve also yet to see more than concept art for Atnas and the rock worm encounter monster. Advanced KDM sounds like substantially more rules work than a single expansion, and of course the GC also contains 2 nemeses which will probably on the order of the Slenderman expansion.

I’ll be extremely surprised if we see the GC this year, or wave 4 finished before 2020. Personally I’m guessing 2021.

Well, thankfully, many of the Wave 4 minis have already been designed AND produced in some form and fashion (e.g., Frogdog, Black Knight, Nightmare Ram, Mountain Man, others?). That should speed things up a bit. I know we already had pix from development of Black Knight and Screaming God, and probably several others. So, all-in-all, I'm still optimistic that we could see Wave 4 by the end of next year. I like the idea of splitting Wave 4 into Subwaves, one for expansions that have been finished and a second for things that are lagging behind. For some reason I suspect that won't be the case, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
Shu1984 wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:
ravenblade23x wrote:

Wave 1 was definitely not "just" reprints - the Core game received a number of substantial upgrades in content, both rules and minis, in addition to packaging upgrades that largely eliminated the shipping damage that plagued the first KS. Those were real changes that made a difference.

Wave 2 was straight reprints, which was fine.

Wave 4 seems to moving along as well. We've seen evidence of playtesting.

The idea that this should be delayed by years is nonsense, unfounded by anything at all. It's not like he has a cash crunch that halted his ability to produce things - the real issue with the first KS. Instead, he is flush with cash from Wave 1 & 2 sales, along with the allocated presales for Waves 3 & 4. Instead, the issue seems to be scaling up to meet increasing demand, and massive logistics, which seems to have gone ok so far.

I don't think we have to worry about Adam rushing anything - that's not his way. I'm not worried at all. I think it unfair to assume delay when there is no reason. I'll wait to hear when Adam is able to tell.

Wave 1 was tweaking some minor stuff from 1.3 to 1.5, which is 99% the same content, plus GSK. Wave 2 is 100% identical. Waves 3 and 4 are all complete new stuff (which also include all the pinups, the 3d terrain and some other goodies). I see a big difference here.

I'm fine with the fact that you don't want to assume anything which is not official. My bet is that we will see delays, and hopefully not more than a year or so. As I said, I'd be happy with a 2019 GC and a 2021 complete Wave 4.

But hey, I would be happier if you proved me wrong (nobody likes delays). I just assumed that designing and balancing the GC and 18 new expansions, plus developing and producing all the additional new content would require a lot of effort, and since an almost plain vanilla reprint has been already delayed by 3 months, there's a lot of chances for the time estimates to move forward.

Knowing how Adam cares about his creations, he won't hesitate to keep it under development for as long as he deems necessary, and that's another strong reason to expect delays.

But as I said, we are speculating and these are just my personal expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
churchb33 wrote:
I like the idea of splitting Wave 4 into Subwaves, one for expansions that have been finished and a second for things that are lagging behind. For some reason I suspect that won't be the case, though.

I'm guessing they won't do that because it would further complicate their shipping/warehousing situation. It's possible though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.