GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,302 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Let's Make a Bus Route» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Impressions After 2 Plays and a Quick Comparison rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's Make a Bus Route is entering a crowded field of "roll and write" style games. This is certainly a subset of those games (while the mechanics are similar). More specifically, LMABR is more in line with games like Avenue/Kokoro.

VS

To draw a quick comparison, I really like Avenue. It's a route-building, flip-and-write game where, not unlike LMABR, a card is flipped each turn and players must make the best use of whatever route segment appears. I enjoy the art/components in both, while still giving the nod to LMABR since it comes with thick dry-erase boards and markers. Also, the artwork is ADORABLE. Everything from the box lid, to the bottom box lip (with the multi-colored buses), to the main board, cards--you name it. As usual, Saashi and Saashi spare no expense with the production. Nevertheless, gameplay is the greatest differentiator between Avenue and LMABR. Put simply, if you enjoy interaction, LMABR is the superior game as players draw on a shared board. If you're turned off by interaction in games because you associate it with conflict, have no fear. The interaction is not antagonistic and there's very little incentive to thwart the plans of other players.

If you don't like Avenue, will you like LMABR? Quite possibly, especially if you were turned off by the lack of interaction. LMABR uses "traffic," which is a really smart way to further the use of player interaction. In both games, there's a good amount of randomness, and considering that the play time is short--15-20 minutes for a 2-player game--both are devoid of any long-term planning. Some players might feel like their hand is forced. But if you enjoy tactical games, and don't mind a bit of randomness, I think you'll enjoy both, perhaps enjoying LMABR more due to the aforementioned strengths.

Our first 2-player game finished in 14 minutes. Immediately, my wife asked to play again. I can tell you it's great with 2, although I suspect the sweet spot would be 3 or 4. 5 would likely be chaotic, as even in a 2-player game, my wife and I were creating traffic in order to fulfill our goals (oh yeah goal cards , another plus for LMABR).

I own and have played all Saashi and Saashi games. The player counts vary quite a bit. LMABR, Wind the Film and Blend Coffee Lab are the only ones that are 2-player friendly. Out of those, I felt like this and WTF played best with 2. Coffee Roaster gets all the love, and rightfully so. It's a fantastic solo game. However, I slightly prefer WTF and LMABR. I think I give them the same rating overall (9 out of 10), but WTF edges out LMABR since it feels a bit more unique. If you don't know about Saashi and Sasshi, you should. This has quickly become my favorite publisher. I really like all of their games.

Saashi and Saashi games, in my estimation:
Wind the Film>LMABR>Coffee Roaster>Take the “A” Chord>Blend Coffee Lab

Hopefully I've piqued your interest, because LMABR is worthy of it. Track down a copy of this game if you have the opportunity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"WTF>LMABR>CR>TTAC>BCL" ??

Help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Y
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Me too wondering WTF is WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Instagram - @villagemeeple
badge
Instagram - @villagemeeple
mbmbmbmbmb

WTF> Wind the Film

LMABR> Let's Make a Bus Route

CR> Coffee Roaster

TTAC> Take the A Chord

BCL> Blend Coffee Lab
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GusG4Real wrote:
"WTF>LMABR>CR>TTAC>BCL" ??

Help!

Edited
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it 2-player and found it a little boring. the only player interaction is shared routes (and the bonus cards), which with 2 players is not a given. I'm hoping to play it with 4-5 this weekend and it makes a better impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
Played it 2-player and found it a little boring. the only player interaction is shared routes (and the bonus cards), which with 2 players is not a given. I'm hoping to play it with 4-5 this weekend and it makes a better impression.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you as a 2-player. We loved it! That said, we have a natural affinity toward roll and write games. Did you not have any issues with traffic? How many times have you played? I think the combination of traffic and hidden routes creates the perfect amount of interaction. In "Ticket to Ride" terms, it's somewhere between USA and Switzerland for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voldemort
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played this with 2 4 times in one sitting and we enjoyed it. There still was some interaction due to the hidden route cards and objective cards. 5 was super crowded and I think 4 is perfect

texascpa wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kikiquynh23 wrote:
I played this with 2 4 times in one sitting and we enjoyed it. There still was some interaction due to the hidden route cards and objective cards. 5 was super crowded and I think 4 is perfect

texascpa wrote:

5 seems crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game for the first time tonight, and we had 5 players (2 who owned the game and 3 new players). It was extremely chaotic and entertaining. It did get a little confusing on the board at times, trying to remember where you left off and where you were heading after 4 other people moved the board around and turned it this way and that way to make their routes.

It was a lot of fun though for such a simple game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.