GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,869 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Star Trek Red Alert» Forums » General

Subject: A "Rediscovered" Country rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmb
I rediscovered this game recently and got excited about playing it so have been busy making extra components so I could play it with more players. I bought a factory set so I needed a lot of extra tokens to make it playable.

I thought I'd start a thread to talk about the game. I know its been dead for years but I expect there's a few people that have sets hidden away.

I wrote a blog about me resurrecting this game and all the new components I made.
Red Alert! A Blast from the Future Past!

You can check out all the stuff I've made so far in the Files section. I want to make player screens with basic gameplay info and icons definitions next. That way players can have a place to plan Orders tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar 'discovery' with the TI:Armada version. I just starting picking up various sets and flats from ebay and some folks here on BGG and I'm actually very impressed with the game.

I imagine Red Alert is every bit as good (although I enjoy Carriers and Squadrons from Armada) but unfortunately it's even harder to track down and purchase.

If you decide to expand your resurrection to Armada, I'm all up for discussion and analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmb
I owned the Armada factory sets when they were blowing them out cheap on the FFG web store. And sadly sold them off. The same problem I had here was you couldn't really play a factory set without the support material from the starter sets. Back then I didn't have easy access to manufacturing tokens. I hear its a step up in design from Red Alert and has more content.

Maybe some day I'll stumble across a big collection and pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can actually play Armada well with just the Complete set. It's one of every flat from the original set and it comes with more than enough to play up to 2 ships vs 2 ships. The Stellar Matter expansion is still widely available and is non-random terrain and ship control sheets. It supplies 6 more. So just adding that would let you play with up to 10 ships which would be a BIG battle lol.

The Incursion expansion adds missiles which are important for balancing fighters but they are easy enough to print off and 'DYO' if you're handy (and you certainly seem to be ).

At any rate, if you get a chance, would you mind scanning the scenarios for Red Alert? That's one that thing that Armada is dreadfully short of and I would love to be able to get ideas from Red Alert.

If a vassal module were ever to appear for RA, look me up and I'd be willing to fire up a game with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmb
Thanks for the info! Didn't know they had a non random expansion that included more control sheets.

As for scanning the scenarios, will need some time, as my old printer crapped out and looking for a new one and that's what was my scanner too. Each scenario is on a big disk. Neat design since you can use the disk as a game piece.

Oh and check the weblinks, there's an FTP site with expansions and new scenarios. That's where I got the unfinished expansion content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.