GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,866 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Saratoga» Forums » Rules

Subject: Artillery in offense? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmb

I have a phasing artillery unit that's lined up perfectly to blast away at the enemy. But I see that artillery can only fire while non-phasing as "defensive"?

Is that right, really? ... maybe it's an odd application of the term "defensive" to indicate which side of the Igo-yugo cycle we're in, rather than actual battlefield intent of the use of the weapons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. Artillery is defensive, not offensives.

Other people with more historical knowledge than me can probably explain why this is. But I think one aspect this displays is that artillery isn't really maneuverable and it prevents moving and firing in the same phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmb

On further reflection, afaict, problem solved ...

I'm just going to think of the phase not as "Defensive Artillery" but as "[Enemy] Artillery." So in the British turn, there's an American Artillery Fire Phase, and vice versa.

The interleaved turn sequence, if I think of it so, has nothing to do with offense or defense. Artillery is a weapon like any other, and can be used in either capacity, or many capacities.

As for not being maneuverable, iiuc, the guns in this battle had been sited & sighted, so they were intended not to move from those improved situations. They were certainly "maneuverable," and even the 0-MP cannon in this game can actually move.

I've just come back to these games from a long absence, have forgotten everything, and am starting fresh from 1st Ed. Vol.1. Looking forward to following the evolution of the game system!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you're back. It's a great system I enjoy immensely.

Just to be clear though, when I said "not really maneuverable," I did not mean "can't move." That's obviously not the case since artillery did reposition in these battles (unless they were stationary) and the units do have mps later editions. What I meant was that they were difficult to move when compared to other units. Cav and infantry carry themselves and equipment pretty easily compared to the guys who have to take down, drag and reset up an artillery cannon.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.