Thierry Vlaeminck
Belgium
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
So this came up:

Jolnar gave/sold their Research Agreement to Lizix.
Later Jolnar researches "Dreadnaught II" upgrade.

Lizix player wants to turn in the PN for "Super Dreadnaught II" upgrade.

a)The faction unit upgrade completely replaces the basic upgrade including in wording/name, so he can gain the Faction unit upgrade

b)He can only gain "Dreadnaught II" upgrade, and not the faction version

c)He can't use the PN this time around

I believe it's C), because B) a race can never play with basic versions of upgrade they have a faction version off. And A) the PN allows you to copy THAT upgrade, and not suddenly come up with a better version of it.

This is a situation that can happen in every game the jolnar plays in, so its not really that farfetched.

-Evernoob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Munchkin fanMicrobadge: 504 fan
Technically d) The PN has no effect apart from returning to Jol-Nar.

This is essentially the same as c) for the exact reasons you specify, but the card can still technically be used, it just has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Vlaeminck
Belgium
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Yes, but in our playgroup we don't enforce d) yet, game is still too new.
Playing a card wrongly for no effect we let the player take it back. The punishment of others knowing what he's holding is bad enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Munchkin fanMicrobadge: 504 fan
Oh, I didn't mean to infer that's what happens if it was incorrectly played. Of course you should always allow take-backs when somebody unfamiliar with the rules makes an honest mistake. It's just that if the player really did want to play it for whatever reason, they can.

For example, L1z1x might not be neighbours with Jol-Nar and there is some deal in play that makes the L1z1x really want the Jol-Nar to have possession of the PN back. The only way they have to give it back in this short timeframe is by using it, even for no effect.

If they are that desperate, they can do it, but c) would deny them that opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls