GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,401 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Coup» Forums » General

Subject: Cockroach poker or coup? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier Lam
Singapore
flag msg tools
Both are social deception/ bluffing games but which would be more fun for parties/ a group of travelling people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say both are good choices but Coup is a bit more thinky and Kakerlaken is a bit sillier. Depends what your priorities are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd take Coup Rebellion G54. The feel of Coup with a lot more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cockroach Poker is easier to explain, and we've had more fun with it. We use our own deck:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Cockroach Poker is easier to explain, and we've had more fun with it. We use our own deck:

I love this!!

I find Coup can defeat its own purpose because it's difficult to lie about having or not having an ability until you are VERY confident in what those abilities are, and there are many in Coup. The first several games are mostly checking the player aid then your opponents watch while you formulate your move. It's just not as smooth-playing or fun as lying about a spider being a fly.

For bluffing, Cockroach Poker every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cockroach! It's more straight forward, less rules and super easy for casual gamers.

robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Entrecruzado wrote:
Cockroach! It's more straight forward, less rules and super easy for casual gamers.

I prefer Coup as there's more going on, more nuance, and it becomes more fun with the metagame kicks in with repeated plays. And G54 gives more variety.

HOWEVER, for the given scenario I would definitely recommend Cockroach Poker for the reasons stated above. It is much easier to teach and can be learned by anyone. I've played it successfully with kids as young as 6-7 who aren't into games. It works across a wide range of ages and gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van Kreveld
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mb
They're very different actually.

Cockroach is sillier and much easier to explain. It's mainly about reading the other, but it's pretty easy to play unreadable, at which point it comes down mostly to luck, with a little bit of strategy in card choices. This can definitely be fun, especially while playing more casually. The game-play is not that interesting though.

Coup is actually quite strategic. It's a bit more explanation, but it can bring poker-like bluffing and chess-like thinking ahead, without being as complex as those games. You really develop a strategy while you play multiple games. Coup can therefor be played in 2 different ways. It can be played by really thinking about the implications of all your moves and calculating your risks, or by just doing something and having fun with lying a bunch. It's less enjoyable when you have some players playing one way, other players the other way. In that case, the more strategic players can't really think ahead, as the other players are just doing something, and the players that want to just lie silly can do that less because of the more strategic players.

So in summary, if you want to just play a silly game and have fun, cockroach is a bit easier. If you want the game a little more interesting, coup should be the better game for you, as long as all players want that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Also Cockroach is prettier by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the first play, cockroach poker is probably more fun.
With many plays, I enjoyed Coup (and especially the G54 version) more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikki Tahta
United States
new york
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Take them both
Throw away the internal packaging and you can probably fit them both in one box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Walker
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
let's keep the Geek a happy place!!
mbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
Also Cockroach is prettier by far.

not prettier than the Brazilian art for coup. it's breath taking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeh, depends on the people you're playing with. I have a number of VERY casual gamer friends who i know wouldn't let me get halfway through the Coup rules before losing interest. But from what i know of Cockroach poker, it's simpler (though at the expense of some gameplay and tactics).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.