GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,312 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Gaslands» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Trial By Gaslands - A First Learning Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
So if trial games are all about figuring out how a game works, last night I learnt that when setting up a course for Gaslands I need to be a bit more generous with the girth of the road and try to avoid choke points.

It all started out civilly enough, with our four vehicles darting out of the gate and whizzing up the straight to the first gate. Steve was driving the black interceptor, turret mounted mini gun on the roof. Damo was in Boba Fett’s car, sporting an exploding ram on the front and a turret mounted rocket launcher on the roof. Chris was driving the mini, resplendent with Union Jack on the roof, one headlamp replaced with a HMG and the cab filled with all manner of explosives. And I was driving Bus-face McBigArse.

Yeah, ok, the bus didn’t help when it came to negotiating tight spaces.

The first strip was negotiated fairly painlessly … I mean there was a bit of argy bargy and sure, Damo butted me with his exploding ram, but I’ll forgive him given that he came off worse than me.

The first gate is where the wheels came off. It was a narrow, tight turn, made more treacherous by numerous pillars and support struts. After scraping paint off the side of the bus and leaving the mini in their dust, the Interceptor and Boba Fett were first to the gate.

Pretty much every pillar that could be hit was hit.

The two cars tore bits off each other in their clamour to be first through the gate. Wing mirrors gone, paint jobs screwed, dents and bashes galore. Damo in the Boba Fett mobile was first through, limping through the gate and activating his weapons. With a gleam in his eye he swivelled the turret mounted rocket launchers around to face the mini which, after a bit of trouble, had managed to slip past the bus, nip around the Interceptor and was lining up for a nice easy burst through the gate.

“Access Denied” Damo possibly thought as he launched a rocket at the mini.

The shell lodged in the mini and detonated, instantly killing everyone inside. Damo’s grin was short-lived as the burning wreckage of the mini trundled towards him and then exploded (possibly aided by the boxes of Molotov cocktails that were on-board). The explosion engulfed Damo’s Boba Fett mobile, flipping it over and turning it into a burning wreck.

The Interceptor was also caught in the blast, managed to limp on a little further, before clipping a corner and turning itself into wreckage. Busface McBigArse ploughed on through the burning vehicles with the speed of a cow, through the gate and around the corner.

The other three respawned:

Chris in a rather attractive performance car with a picture of Luke Skywalker on the side.

Steve in an American Police car with twin linked forward mounted HMGs.

Damo in a hotrod Beetle, covered with unnecessary spikey bits and sporting a turret mounted flame thrower.

For a brief while the game became Operation Bus Kill. Despite my lead, the bus had all the speed of an arthritic slug and, aided by nitro boosts, my three opponents were soon on my tail. Fortunately once past the first gate the track opened up into a fairly wide, gentle turn, with nothing more dangerous than crates littering the trackway, which the bus promptly cleared.

As I swung the bus around the bend I came under a hail of machine gun bullets, small arms fire and blasts from a flame thrower. My eight crewmembers gamely hurled Molotov cocktails at the offending vehicles and opened up with pistols on them but it was surely only a matter of time before the faithful public transport vehicle would succumb.

Damo sensed his opportunity.

By this point the bus was more cheese grater than vehicle and was already on fire. He zipped past in his black beetle and gleefully doused my bus one last time with his turret mounted flame thrower. With an enormous explosion the bus detonated, sending burning wreckage everywhere and completely annihilating Damo’s Beetle. Rather impressively Damo had managed to kill himself a second time from burning bits of other people’s vehicles he’d destroyed.

The police car and Skywalker mobile whizzed through the second gate, taking pot shots at each other, whilst me and Damo respawned back at the start – he in a pick-up truck with a tank turret welded onto the back and me in a beat up van with armour plating, a turret mounted HMG and, most importantly, a picture of Chewbacca on the side.

Despite the fact that they were considerably ahead of us by this point, those two bastards out front decided to both drop multiple oil slicks, just to make life as difficult as possible for me and Damo.

There was no stopping Steve though as his US police car expertly weaved between the explosive barrels, skidding around the last bend and headed for the final gate. Right back at the beginning of the race, Damo was quickly through the first gate. Seeing that the game was almost up he did what any right minded person would do and blasted my poor Chewie van with his 120mm battle cannon.

The recoil almost sent his picktruck spinning out of control but that’s nothing compared to what the shell did to the Chewie van, very nearly destroying it with one hit. Behind me Steve’s police car came barrelling through the final gate (which as it happens was also the starting point as the track was a loop), saw my van in his sights and thought “why not?”.

He pressed fire on his twin HMGs and further chewed up my poor van in a particularly violent victory celebration.

Gaslands is great fun and I’d recommend it to anyone. Table top miniature gaming is a notoriously expensive hobby but this is about as cheap to get into as it comes. All you really need are Hotwheels cars and some sort of track to race them on. Sure, you could pretty it up like I’ve done with bits of terrain but you don’t need to. Give it a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christi K
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fun read. Loved all the photos too! Great course. Wow, I really enjoyed reading the exciting play-by-play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wreckers don't call for backup, they call for cleanup!
mbmbmbmb
Great race report!
And very nice cars and terrain you have there.

But I have a question: Did you house-rule the armaments? Otherwise, mounting a ram and a rocket launcher on a 2-slot car is impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Corran Horn wrote:
Great race report!
And very nice cars and terrain you have there.

But I have a question: Did you house-rule the armaments? Otherwise, mounting a ram and a rocket launcher on a 2-slot car is impossible.

Less a house rule and more a mistake - oops! I flung the cars together quickly just before we played. We were going to race one car each and after I realised how expensive in terms of cans the pick-up truck with the tank turret was, I kind of fit the cost of all the other vehicles to that. It's probable that in my haste I made other mistakes to the load outs too but in the event it didn't really effect the game - Damo's exploding ram and rockets certainly didn't help him much as both ended up doing more damage to himself than anyone else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wreckers don't call for backup, they call for cleanup!
mbmbmbmb
Hehe, gotcha.

And since it obviously worked out fine, I guess no harm was done. Well, other than to exploding cars and all that.
I've been toying with the idea of adding a single extra slot to vehicles, too. That way, vehicles become a little more deadly if you trick them out, but also a little more expensive. It'll be a toss-up between going for expensive super cars or running a bigger bunch of regular ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice set up and recap. What is the source of the pipes / tanks you are using as your terrain? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizpopper wrote:
Very nice set up and recap. What is the source of the pipes / tanks you are using as your terrain? Thanks!

It's the Sector Mechanicus terrain from Games Workshop:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40000-Thermic...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/searchResults?_dynchars...

Bit pricey but I had the stuff anyway from playing various 40K games.

I like some of the stuff from 4Ground too:

https://www.4ground.co.uk/jes-scatter-terrain

https://www.4ground.co.uk/tokens-and-game-aids?page=3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elitusprime
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Best "first learning game" ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.