GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,153 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Are sidekicks essential? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Wei

Horsham
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Hi all, I'm relatively new to legendary (have the base + dark city). I plan on adding the FF, GoTG, & X-men expansions and on the fence for the secret wars vol 1 expansion.

My question is, are sidekicks essential, especially with the difficulty boost from the xmen expansion, that I need to buy SW1?

Without the sidekicks would SW1 expansion be worth it?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In all my multiplayer plays my players always used sidekicks. In most of my solo players I recruit them if I have spare stars and there is nothing else I could buy.

Base sidekicks are powerful cause they allow to draw 2 cards. When they are mixed with pet avenger sidekicks the sidekick stack is more balanced. It does not give so much advantage.
I also use new recruits from Villans but compared to sidekicks they are used rarely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely don't think sidekicks are essential, but I never play without them.

SW1 has some popular heroes including Black Bolt, Black Panther, Dr Strange, Namor, Captain Marvek, Lady Thor, Magik, and Morales version of Spiderman. Kitty Pryde is there as well, but she is already in the X-Men expansion.

My biggest knock against this expansion is 4 of the 6 "Villain" groups consist of heroes.

If you would like to review the cards, thecatholicgeeks website has a very detailed review where you can see the individual cards. I have no affiliation with that website nor with that specific religion, but I frequently use their reviews to look at cards when trying to design custom cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenWei wrote:
Hi all, I'm relatively new to legendary (have the base + dark city). I plan on adding the FF, GoTG, & X-men expansions and on the fence for the secret wars vol 1 expansion.

My question is, are sidekicks essential, especially with the difficulty boost from the xmen expansion, that I need to buy SW1?

Without the sidekicks would SW1 expansion be worth it?

Thanks in advance.

You might find the thread I started helpful -- I was soliciting advice on next Big Box to get, and there was quite a bit of info about Secret Wars provided: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2002610/next-big-box-i-shou...

Also for another super helpful thread see Tips for New Players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
overhaul wrote:
If you would like to review the cards, thecatholicgeeks website has a very detailed review where you can see the individual cards. I have no affiliation with that website nor with that specific religion, but I frequently use their reviews to look at cards when trying to design custom cards.

Another great resource for this is: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1243890/complete-card-text-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidekicks are not essential, but it is nice to have something to recruit other than the SHIELD Officer. While they are useful, I don't think that they make the game that much easier or anything. You're still going to want to recruit mainly Heroes from the HQ because the Sidekicks disappear after you play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArianneH wrote:
You might find the thread I started helpful -- I was soliciting advice on next Big Box to get, and there was quite a bit of info about Secret Wars provided: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2002610/next-big-box-i-shou...

I gave a pretty detailed review of Secret Wars 1 in that thread, so I don't really have anything to add here, other than to tell you to read what I wrote in that one.

To summarize, I really like the sidekicks, schemes, and some of the heroes, masterminds, villains, and henchmen from that set, so I'm glad I own the set. But it's the only set I own that has a little bit of material I don't really like, mostly for thematic reasons (heroes as villains, villains as heroes). Eventually, I'll pick up the Villains base set, and the playable Thanos "hero" and other material from SW1 will get mixed into that, rather than keeping them with the "heroic" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knutson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Essential? No. Totally awesome and worth getting? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The short answer is no. They're very useful but you definitely don't require them.

The longer answer and real reason I responded is that I have to second Arianne's recommendations of aids for new players. I didn't know about the Catholic Geek site but I imagine that card reviews with the card images are great, but the complete card text can give you that information, too, and the threads Arianne has links to are marvelous for new players. I personally found the Complete Card Text indispensable for deciding how to prioritize set purchasing.

The post by Overhaul Eric (to differentiate from me) is a great as a condensed review of Secret Wars 1. I disagree with him on just one thing: the Masterminds themselves are bad guys but the villain teams are almost entirely good guys of another world. Nimrod, Zombie Goblin are definitely villains, Madelyn Prior is usually evil, and Wasteland Hulk is definitely a bad guy, too. But half Hulk's villain team is good guys, all but one of Madelyn's villains are demonic versions of X-Men and Nimrod's team is nothing but X-Men.

(Edit: Added paragraph about Secret Wars 1 and Eric's post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Steedley
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I think yes if you just have the draw two card sidekicks they make the game easier if mixed with the pet avengers then it balances out better. Like some have stated you will mainly recruit heroes from the head quarters but there are many times where you may have 5 recruit and it is more beneficial to buy a side kick and a three cost hero as opposed to say a 4 cost hero. Plus late game when buying recruit is less important it's nice to have the ability to purchase side kicks can't imagine not playing with them once I started using them. The New Recruits are alright as some have mentioned but most the time I don't even get them out. As others have stated the heroes are nice addition to the game Though the villains may not be the best I truly enjoy playing against them and find the ascending masterminds(such as Zombie Loki, Apocalyptic Magneto, Wasteland Kingpin) add a unique twist as you don't want them to escape and be getting hit with their master strike as well as the original mastermind. I feel this is a must buy and adds many enjoyable cards to the game. I know it is a small box and I may get some backlash but I don't use my Fantastic Four one as much as I do Secret Wars Vol 1 and would grab GOTG(best small box) and X-Men(amazing) and Secret Wars Vol 1. Hope this is helpful and you can't go wrong with any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.