GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Clans of Caledonia» Forums » Variants

Subject: Starting Resources Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit:
After reading Nicola's suggestion, I now plan to use the following rule for all player counts:

During setup, give one random starting tile to each available clan (based on player count) and place one random starting tile nearby to be a "common tile." When a player chooses a clan, they immediately choose between the starting tile given to their clan tile or the common tile. If they choose the common tile, then the starting tile assigned to their chosen clan becomes the new common tile.

Original post:

The other night, we tried a small tweak to the setup that I found to be a simple and good addition to the game. I am not sure how to best implement the idea for 4-player games yet (since the game only includes 9 starting resource tiles), but for 2 or 3 player games, we do the following.

When setting up for the clan selection, we give each clan two random starting resource tiles. When a player selects that clan, they immediately choose one of the two tiles to use for the starting resources.

One idea for how to handle the 4-player situation is for the first player (since they will be choosing their clan last) to decide which one of the 5 available clans will receive only one starting resource tile for the setup. Players selecting clans with 2 tiles will be able to choose which one to use, but any player selecting the clan with 1 tile has no choice about their starting resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 4p games:
Deal one starting resource tile to each of the 5 clans.
Then add another tile that is available to each player, as an alternative to the one dealt to the clan.

If a player takes the “common” tile, deal a new one in the common area.

This guarantees that 9 tiles are enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice solution. I think I will use it at all player counts with the following modification:

If a player chooses to take the common tile instead of the one beside the clan they are choosing, the tile that was beside the clan they chose becomes the new common tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hall
United States
Ft. Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give each player 2 clans and 2 resource tiles. This gives the player 4 possible combos. Player takes 1 clan and 1 resource tile and discards the rest. I am going to start doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.