Greg Swaine
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A special thank you to Enrica Fincati and Francesco Simioni who invited me into their world of "So Long, My world" and let me ride along with them while the designed their built in solitaire system. I was able to see the rulebook from when it was just a simple Word document until where it is today, which is ready for its Kickstarter release on June 19 2018. This is a finished product folks, with lots of play testing behind it and a truly unique solo experience has been created for us.

So Long, My world. Solo Campaign preview/review.

Haunting decisions, decisions that will make you seriously wonder who you are and more terrifyingly, who you’d actually become in the event of the end of days.

So Long, My world has griped me at my heart. A deep story in each scenario that runs through multiple endings depending on the choices you make. I took very different paths each time I played and ended up with new results each time I played. Some of those cards you draw, the choices you are faced with, and the emotions they can pull at if you let yourself get immersed into the theme are truly haunting, or could be equally as beautiful.

What impressed me the most was the story telling in such a short amount of wording. The set up, the card text and how the endings will wind into your story that you chose the direction of is quite beautiful. What drew me into this game the most was the unique theme. What has held my attention and drawn me back again and again (to replay the same scenario!) is the way that your story unfolds as you play. I found myself genuinely disappointed when chosing a darker more sinister path and happy when I ran out of time and had a “normal ending” because at least I didn’t falter from my beliefs that I would hope I’d keep in a situation like the end of the world and how I would be with my friends and family.

What you get with So Long, My world is an opportunity to play a smooth flowing, easy to learn and easy to set up game with a built in solo mode that stays true to what you’d expect from a solo experience. A game that plays very well and not only holds you attention for the duration of play, but keeps you thinking about what you would do differently the next time as it draws you back in for more. Each scenario and its set up is unique. Each story that you unravel takes you for a ride and I can say with true genuine truth, that So Long, My World is one of, if not THE best story driven fantasy/horror campaign that I have played this year. I say fantasy/horror because the fantasy is you think you know how things would end, but the horror is when you actually find out for yourself.

So Long, My World launches June 19th 2018 on Kickstarter. I’ll be there day one, backing what is now one of my top 3 most anticipated project of 2018.

Greg Swaine
Can Solo Games

P.S This review/preview will likely draw a lot of questions as it will likely seem vague to some. If you've got questions please ask! I'll do my absolute best to answer them without providing spoilers of any kind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the second solo mode “review” that doesn’t mention a single thing about actual gameplay. What does a turn look like? What does a complete game look like? What mechanisms are involved with your choices and action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's more like an opionion then a review. You gave us no factual information. Could you please expand on how it plays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Swaine
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
This is the second solo mode “review” that doesn’t mention a single thing about actual gameplay. What does a turn look like? What does a complete game look like? What mechanisms are involved with your choices and action?

Hi Jason,

The version of the solo campaign that I received to review/preview was not the final version. Because of this and potential changes to gameplay and the rules I opted to review the solo experience to give people an idea of how the story unfolds and what kind of decisions could be made during the campaign. Since then the solo campaign rulebook has been made public and you can find it, along with a complete "flow of the game" break down here:

http://www.axismundigames.com/solongmyworld OR the direct link to the solo rules PDF: http://www.axismundigames.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/So-...

You can also find a complete copy of the base game rulebook there which will allow you to make more sense of the actions described in the solo mode. The only thing that hasn't been posted is "The Paths" which is the narrative which comes with the solo game. This is likely to avoid spoilers and having people being able to read all the ways the game could end.

This being said the solo game is also completely re-playable even after unlocking all the "paths".

Hope that answers your questions.

Cheers,

Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Swaine
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurczaczekx wrote:
It's more like an opionion then a review. You gave us no factual information. Could you please expand on how it plays?

Hi King,

Please see the above post in which I replied to Jason. It explains the preview/review and why i chose to do it that way, and also gives a direct link to the available rulebooks.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully someone will make a review of the last version solo gameplay soon then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Simioni
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Omnia fert aetas, animum quoque.
mbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:
Hopefully someone will make a review of the last version solo gameplay soon then.

Hi! Greg's version can be considered final. The only changes needed are minor tunings and rewordings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tirnanog Industries wrote:
Jamelrha wrote:

Hi! Greg's version can be considered final. The only changes needed are minor tunings and rewordings

Then reviews will be fun to read. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Nice review, I wonder if you have any info about replayability? If the game is very story heavy I wonder how that will impact replayability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Simioni
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Th3Swed3 wrote:
Nice review, I wonder if you have any info about replayability? If the game is very story heavy I wonder how that will impact replayability?

Here, in the latest comments, you can find a third-party comment about replayability!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2011470/so-long-my-world-so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rupar
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Stare into my eye!
badge
My daughter's art
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I'm interested in the solo mode, I have a question regarding the components used in the solo mode. What percentage of the game components are compatible with solo only play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Simioni
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mikeinbc wrote:
Although I'm interested in the solo mode, I have a question regarding the components used in the solo mode. What percentage of the game components are compatible with solo only play?

Everything is compatiblewith everything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Northfield
United Kingdom
St ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed this a while ago, and it looks to be coming along nicely. I've added funds for two expansions, and just saw there is a third. And did I hear an all in pledge existed now? Off to check it out.

I reckon the wife will play this one with me, but I like the option of solo play. Anyway, I liked it on here so we are closer to that goal.

Very glad that all the components are used in the solo experience. Got some games that use under half the stuff, which is a bit lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Simioni
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Knightofthewatch wrote:
I backed this a while ago, and it looks to be coming along nicely. I've added funds for two expansions, and just saw there is a third. And did I hear an all in pledge existed now? Off to check it out.

I reckon the wife will play this one with me, but I like the option of solo play. Anyway, I liked it on here so we are closer to that goal.

Very glad that all the components are used in the solo experience. Got some games that use under half the stuff, which is a bit lame.

We can speak of no more then 5-6 cards on 261 that cannot be used in solo mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.