GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,364 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: A Grounded Theory of Why FFG Lost Its License rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
These are my first three novels: Five's Fate, Transit and Passage
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,
Speculation here, of course. I do work in the board game industry and tangentially with both WotC and FFG. Not speaking for either company here.

That said, it's highly likely that loss of the Netrunner license was a result of something to do with Cyberpunk 2077 the new video game by CD Projekt Red, whose trailer debuted at E3 the day after FFGs announcement and contains a playable class in the game called a Netrunner.

Netrunner, the CCG and its mechanics are owned by WotC, but Netrunner itself is a product of and trademarked by R. Talsorian Games, which you can still see on every ANR product. R. Talsorian was responsible for creating the Cyberpunk 2020 roleplaying game and the Netrunner character class.

While FFG may have suspected that they might lose their license for some time, it's likely that once the video game was officially announced - and looks to be releasing right around the time that FFG has to stop selling ANR - there were just too many conflicts and issues.

It may not have actually been an issue between WotC and FFG, but an issue relating to R. Talsorian.

With that said, I think it's possible we're going to see an Android (non-netrunner) LCG in the future, and/or a WotC branded CCG based on the Cyberpunk 2077 game with old Netrunner rules.

Again though, this is all speculation. However, I think the above theory fits the facts that we have and goes a long way to explaining everyone's behavior.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
some also question why FFG made the announcement the day after they finished selling this last print run from the distributor. Team covenant questioned why they made the announcement the day after they basically bought it from the distributor. In the end, no one got burned because everything is sold out, but they thought it strange they waited till right then. They speculated it was going to come out at the distribution level if they waited any longer, and of course, if there was a cyberpunk netrunner video game people would have speculated. I think they waited as long as they could before the info would have come out anyways, in order to sell product (because Asmodee/FFG were afraid it wouldn't sell).

And FFG totally knew about this at least months before announcing the final deluxe box. I feel bad for Boggs who had to go and make stuff up about how they were going to "make the deluxes differently from now on" and looking forward to the more packs etc...

At least Boggs put netrunner in a good place before it ran its course...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hesitant to say anyone was lying or that FFG "knew". The way these things work out sometimes is complex. It's possible that they were negotiating up until the end with the expectation that things would work out. Or maybe FFG were told, "We'll renew if X happens, but if Y happens, we can't" and Y happened.

Basically, there's a lot of gray area between "They Knew" and "They Didn't Know". I see these licensing issues go sideways ALL the time in this industry and it's rarely bad faith or scheming involved. You can be 99% sure that things are moving forward and then BOOM, things change and everyone is crushed and out money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
connorhalo wrote:
While FFG may have suspected that they might lose their license for some time, it's likely that once the video game was officially announced - and looks to be releasing right around the time that FFG has to stop selling ANR - there were just too many conflicts and issues.

Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in May 2012, so no coincidence with FFG's announcement.

It also has no official release date, but it will most likely be released late 2019/ early 2020, so no coincidence with the date FFG stops selling Netrunner either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kostas,
I'm aware that Cyberpunk 2077 has been in development for years. That's not what I was saying. What I'm saying is that the video game reached a point in its development where possible licensing issues arose that could not be circumvented. But since CD Projekt Red or any company for that matter, has no reason or obligation to inform other companies of their progress, FFG had no way to guess exactly when or how their license might be affected.

Also, licenses are renewed for periods of time. If the previous time frame was coming to an end, then it makes sense that WotC would not renew the license, since that might carry forward sales into the time frame where Cypberpunk 2077 would be for sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the date for the end of sale for Android:Netrunner is 10/22/18

Amazon has pre-orders for Cyberpunk 2077 and says that it is releasing on 12/28/18. These dates seem to support my theory.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyberpunk-2077-Xbox-One/dp/B07DJW4WZC...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Replying just to protest the "thread per theory" trend here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not a bad theory i don't think it's very likely because of how differently the concepts are applied. One a boardgame the other a video game. They do not really compete with one another and are not in direct conflict with each other. Trademark or no unless they planned on making their on cyberpunk boardgame they would have a hard time proving damages. I feel like it's more likely WotC just wanted more money and with the recent purchase by asmodee just told them to get bent.

But if the they maybe tried to copywright all use of the word Netrunner or something and it wasan't contested that could have had an impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
connorhalo wrote:
Also, the date for the end of sale for Android:Netrunner is 10/22/18

Amazon has pre-orders for Cyberpunk 2077 and says that it is releasing on 12/28/18. These dates seem to support my theory.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyberpunk-2077-Xbox-One/dp/B07DJW4WZC...

That's a placeholder, Cyberpunk 2077 is not coming out this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.