GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Dark Tales» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about A3 - The Test Of The Knights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Lautenbach
Netherlands
Amersfoort
NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Test Of The Knights card is an A-type Setting Card in the base game with the following effect: “Discard one Armor and one Sword to (...)”. But how can I do this when the rulebook states that you can only play (discard) ONE item in phase 2 of your turn? I have been looking for a card that lets you play an extra item during your turn, but such a card does not exist in the base game.

Please help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torquin wrote:
The Test Of The Knights card is an A-type Setting Card in the base game with the following effect: “Discard one Armor and one Sword to (...)”. But how can I do this when the rulebook states that you can only play (discard) ONE item in phase 2 of your turn? I have been looking for a card that lets you play an extra item during your turn, but such a card does not exist in the base game.

Please help!

I don't have the card in front of me but think of it more as do 1 of the options listed. If it says to discard both, then you can discard both on one turn to get that result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lautenbach
Netherlands
Amersfoort
NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply Brian! You’re right in saying that it is one of the options on the card. So you believe that I can play (discard) two items in a single turn, even though the rulebook says that I can only discard one in the “Play one item” phase of my turn? Maybe it is a translation error? Thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is right that this special action requires to discard an armor and a sword.

Technically you can see it as discarding an armor (discard one item per standard rules) to initiate this action, which requires to additionally discard a sword.

Most other actions require you to discard an additional card (beside the item).

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torquin wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply Brian! You’re right in saying that it is one of the options on the card. So you believe that I can play (discard) two items in a single turn, even though the rulebook says that I can only discard one in the “Play one item” phase of my turn? Maybe it is a translation error? Thx.

Possibly a translation error. The intent of the rule is not to do the same action over and over again on one turn. Nor is it to take multiple different actions if several are presented. Pick one option and do it fully.

So in this case, you can discard 2 tokens because that is what is required to take the action on the card. As Michael pointed out, think of it as discarding the armor, which then tells you to discard the sword. Or as with most games that involve cards, the more specific rules on the card override the more general rules in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lautenbach
Netherlands
Amersfoort
NL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks gentlemen. Completely clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.