GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

John Company» Forums » Rules

Subject: Treasure Reform in effect? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If plunder is gathered, can it be reassigned to the same office who plundered in order to plunder more?

Card says plunder is given to chairman to allocate. Is it immediate and anywhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
If plunder is gathered, can it be reassigned to the same office who plundered in order to plunder more?

Card says plunder is given to chairman to allocate. Is it immediate and anywhere?

Not sure what card you are referring to as the rule on Page 13 states that “If an attack is successful, the families that control cubes in the victorious army (officers) receive money from the bank equal to the region’s plunder value for each cube present. Exhausted and unused officers still receive plunder.”

So, there is no money to give to the Chairman. It goes to the families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I see that you are referring to an Event Card entitled “Treasure Reform.”

So, instead of giving the Plunder to the victorious army officers as I described above, the Chairman gets to allocate it to any Treasury (or Treasuries)as it can be split anyway they want.

Still not sure though what you mean by “plunder more.” Plunder happens when you conquer a region and it becomes under the Company’s control. It only happens that one time at the moment you control it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:

So, instead of giving the Plunder to the victorious army officers as I described above, the Chairman gets to allocate it to any Treasury (or Treasuries)as it can be split anyway they want.

Still not sure though what you mean by “plunder more.” Plunder happens when you conquer a region and it becomes under the Company’s control. It only happens that one time at the moment you control it.

Yes, I am talking about the event card Treasure Reform. This has been made into a law, which allows conquest plunders to be turned over to the company.

My question is that say that I am plundering an area with 3 officers and bring home 9 pounts of plunder. Can the chairman IMMEDIATELY re-assign it to the same office that was just plundering. And thus allow the same player to plunder again with the resources that were just plundered.

Or are those plundered resources assigned by chairman in some other phase.

This would not be as confusing if the rules would just say that the plunder turns into revenue, but that isn't the case. It is given to chairman to allocate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Phytoman wrote:

Yes, I am talking about the event card Treasure Reform. This has been made into a law, which allows conquest plunders to be turned over to the company.

My question is that say that I am plundering an area with 3 officers and bring home 9 pounts of plunder. Can the chairman IMMEDIATELY re-assign it to the same office that was just plundering. And thus allow the same player to plunder again with the resources that were just plundered.

This would not be as confusing if the rules would just say that the plunder turns into revenue, but that isn't the case. It is given to chairman to allocate.

Okay I understand your question.

The plundered resources must be allocated right away by the Chairman. He can allocate it wherever he wants including the same office that just plundered. However, there is no chance to take plunder again from that region or campaign if it is a Presidency. If it was a Governor, I believe that they could try to mount another campaign since the rules say you can keep going as long as you don’t fail and have the resources to do your action. Thus, if you were successful you would gain more plunder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:
Phytoman wrote:

Okay I understand your question.

The plundered resources must be allocated right away by the Chairman. He can allocate it wherever he wants including the same office that just plundered. However, there is no chance to take plunder again from that region or campaign if it is a Presidency. If it was a Governor, I believe that they could try to mount another campaign since the rules say you can keep going as long as you don’t fail and have the resources to do your action. Thus, if you were successful you would gain more plunder.

It just felt weird in a game this thematically connected for it to be immediate instead of revenue track. Latter makes more sense (since selling stuff goes to revenue).

I guess its a minor weird quirk. I wonder why designer thought this is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Newell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Slashdoctor wrote:

It just felt weird in a game this thematically connected for it to be immediate instead of revenue track. Latter makes more sense (since selling stuff goes to revenue).

I guess its a minor weird quirk. I wonder why designer thought this is better.

Stock purchases are handled in the same way as Treasure Reform. Mechanically, I expect Treasure reform isn't likely to be abused this way, as it's a law that's likely to be voted down since plunder is one of the biggest sources of family revenue. Even if it's in effect, the Chairman and the Governor in question have to be working together closely, and you're limited by existing guns/officers and expensive mercenaries.

Thematically though, you could think of Treasure Reform as the company earning money from plunder in India that can then be spent on operations in India, instead of waiting for more funding from England.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Newell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Incidentally, would Jones Family Officer’s plunder count towards Treasure Reform?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.