GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,322 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Storing? Why? (Game Boxes that don't take this into account) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I wanted to bring up a point about certain game publishers (Acronym FFG gee who could that be...) that do not acknowledge AT ALL storing their dang games... I'm like yeah your box only fits the dang pieces [before[/i] I open em oy vey... Anyone else suffers this plight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have something specific in mind?

I've got Old Civ, New Dawn Civ, Rebellion, all comfortably in their boxes, off the top of my head.

Even expandable games like battle lore 2nd, armada, x-wing, IA, etc are storing plenty of extra stuff in their original packaging just fine for me.

I mean, ffg doesn't put bags of bags in their games. I'm fine with that, though. I have plenty of piles of bags from other games if I need them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every FFG I own is really crappy box Mansions of madness yeah not having figs in it... Netrunner and Arkham LCG good lord those boxes suck....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you're gonna get into a card game get binders. Though if you want to store them in the original boxes, the netrunner ones are big enough to do so, at least.

I find card board inserts with a little bending/flipping/cutting are often pretty useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:
So I wanted to bring up a point about certain game publishers (Acronym FFG gee who could that be...) that do not acknowledge AT ALL storing their dang games... I'm like yeah your box only fits the dang pieces [before[/i] I open em oy vey... Anyone else suffers this plight?

It is usually the case that games don't have good inserts. This is done to cut costs. Also it is not possible to design inserts to please everyone: Some like chits grouped together by type, others individualy, some sleeve and others don't. Not to mention that as soon as any kind of an expansion comes out, insert is not longer working.

This hobby taught me how to use foamboard to build my own. Honestly it is so much fun that in some cases I enjoy making the insert more than playing the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc ???????
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the FFG boxes that contained my Eldritch Horror stuff are of great quality in terms of durability and sturdiness. I have no problem with content storage or stacking a mountain of games on top of those boxes. It's just that I don't really like the idea of having to lug around multiple boxes if I want to play Eldritch Horror somewhere. So I had to buy a giant game bag. But I have bought all the expansions except for the last one, so that can be expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
HeathCon 2019 Jan 18th - 21st
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 14 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:
your box only fits the dang pieces [before[/i] I open em

FFG inserts are designed to keep the unpunched pieces safe while the box is being shipped to you. Once you punch the game you are supposed to throw it out, creating a lot more room in the box. If FFG would stop printing really nice art on their inserts I think more people would be comfortable doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necro Master
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need to bring coffin boxes back.

Though the only FFG I have where I have a crapload of expansions that I needed a new box was Talisman. I used an old Axis & Allies box to store everything. (Just barely!)

Currently I've probably got more issues with Flying Frog Production games, since Last Night on Earth and A Touch of Evil with all the expansions just won't fit in one box. Had to keep at least 2 main boxes for each to store everything. Thankfully Fortune & Glory came in a coffin box!

Same problem with Plaid Hat Games. Can't fit all of Dead of Winter stuff or Mice and Mystics in just one box either. Need 2 for both.

The only other major one would be Small World. I've just barely got it all in one box (Mainly just the small expansions) and the top sticks up somewhat. If I bagged everything I probably could close it, but the trays for the tokens are way too useful.

Then there's the problem with having a lot of "little games" that are part of a series. (Gloom, B-Movie card games, etc.) Still, I've found that a little easier to deal with as long as I've got an good sized unused game box to place them all in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I find using baggies a great solution for most games, so effectively having an empty box like what FFG does provides the most room.

This also generally means you can fit a few expansions in with the core box contents. Whereas very few core games boxes inserts allow for expansion content.

I'm not opposed to great inserts, but they tend to not be as efficient on the room requirement, meaning the box is larger than it needs to be. Not an issue for one game, but when you have more than a few games, storing the game boxes then becomes the issue, more so than storing the game in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:
...(Acronym FFG gee who could that be...)

Just a brief note to distract your ire. The abbreviation "FFG" would be an initialism and not an acronym, by these simple defintiions.

acronym: an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA ).

initialism:
an abbreviation consisting of initial letters pronounced separately (e.g., CPU ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doerrhb wrote:
BardicSkaven wrote:
your box only fits the dang pieces [before[/i] I open em

FFG inserts are designed to keep the unpunched pieces safe while the box is being shipped to you. Once you punch the game you are supposed to throw it out, creating a lot more room in the box. If FFG would stop printing really nice art on their inserts I think more people would be comfortable doing this.

So true!!! I always have a hard time ditching their inserts because the art is so great ... Maybe I can find a way to frame some of them or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
BardicSkaven wrote:

But they do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
BardicSkaven wrote:
...(Acronym FFG gee who could that be...)

Just a brief note to distract your ire. The abbreviation "FFG" would be an initialism and not an acronym, by these simple defintiions.

acronym: an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA ).

initialism:
an abbreviation consisting of initial letters pronounced separately (e.g., CPU ).

Thanks that's actually helpful for me.

In my games the FFG ones are about the worst offenders of this.
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) can fit both expansions in the huge, thin, weak box. I dread moving it because the structural strength of the box is not there much less any help organizing a bazillion cards and minis.
Constantinopolis I flipped the cardboard insert upside down and taped it together to accommodate and works ok. Box is new & a bit better.

The Gallerist
Vinhos Deluxe Edition
Are examples of what I love to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Necro Master wrote:
Need to bring coffin boxes back.

I had the exact same thought

"The box is too big and full of empty space!"

"The box is too small and the stuff won't fit!"

It's tempting to thinl there's a happy medium there, but there isn't, not for all people.

Some people will buy expansion s and put the in the original box, some won't.

Some stuff games full of aftermarket "storage solutions", most don't.

Some collect articles, notes, variants, homebrew expasions, componenet upgrades, some don't.

Good luck pleasing all the people all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.