GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,481 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: New July 2nd Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I drafted this scenario based on the July 2nd battle of Gettysburg.
What if Gen'l Longstreet didn't wander the back roads west of Gettysburg?
And Gen'l Ewell started his diversion attack on Culps Hill & the Evergreen Cemetery on time?

The battle will start at 2:00PM instead of 5:00PM
Gen'l Lee's plan was to attack both flanks at the same time thus closing the Union army in on itself.
Hoods will start this off with his last brigade of Law and the German artillery battery on their final approach to the Emittsburg Road, the jump off point.
Union Porter V corp is still filing in his divisions, Sickles III corp has made the ill-fated move west toward the Emittsburg Road for what he thinks is better ground.
You will notice that the Union has started their defensive line with breastworks already in place. There are 45 of them from Hancock II corp at southern end of Cemetery Ridge to all the way around the Clups Hill with Slocum XII corp.

Active for the start of this battle are Longstreet I corp with Hood & McLaws divisions, Ewell II corp with Johnson & Early divisions they both have the use of their respective reserve artillery.
Union starts with Sickles III corp, Slocum XII corp with some attached reserve artillery battalions.
All other combatants are in reserve.

Set up

2:00PM & 3:00PM turns
Not good start for Hood's div., those rough/woods are costing valuable time and disordering these good cohesion regiment's just stepping off. The only hope are the artillery battalion's of Henry & Alexander, who are landing some well placed shots.
Johnsons div. had a nice clear walk to the Rock Creek however thats where it stops. More rough/woods has slowed him down to a crawl. Meanwhile Early division has made some execellent progress at the point of Cemetery Hill although not without costs.

End 4:00PM turn
Hood's div has gone nowhere, some serious bad ground and die roles are taking there effect on cohesions of 7's & 8's. What should be a push over is not happening, Sickles boys are holding their ground against an overwhelming force of Hood & McLaws div's.
Union Porter V corp is now filing onto the battlefield and will certainly sure up any holes that may develop in the Union lines.

Meaning while on the other end Slocum XII corp is handing Johnson Division more than they can handle. Early division seems to be the only success story, taking the point defenses of Cemetery Hill further damaging Doubleday I & Howard XI corp's.

This last pic is the overall conditions on the battlefield, I even had Confederate AP Hill III corp Anderson division to step off.

With better die roles for the Confederates this would have been an epic battle and this is not to favor them, I just roled REALLY bad.

As I noted above I drafted this scenario as a what if?
I used three different sources information for the placement of some of the troops although most already have historical placement.
I used reserve status to create the start and climax of the days battle.
Finally, I'm hoping to submit this scenario for consideration in C3i magazine as an addition to 3DoG 2004.

See you soon
Thomas

PS; I had to stop the battle here for two reasons, 1- All I needed was to play through and complete the first 4 jump off turns of 2:00pm to 5:00pm. 2- Because I'm hosting 3DoG at Gettysburg, PA. in the Day's Inn on York Street(rte 30), on July 1 - 3, Sunday - Tuesday, and I may need this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Picayune
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report Thomas. Hope you get it approved for C3I.If not perhaps write it up and post it in Files section here,as would love to try it out sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way ahead of you! I plan to create a scenario setup for the Vassal module and release an updated version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allen, I'll send you the latest edited PDF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Picayune
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas, is it possible to get a copy of the PDF for myself please,as I dont use VASSAL???

Thanks,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drakester wrote:
Thomas, is it possible to get a copy of the PDF for myself please,as I dont use VASSAL???

Thanks,
Mark

Sure but let's have Allen put it in his Vassal module first to see if I need to correct anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Thomas! I'm interested in a PDF for your new scenario, too. Have you thought about posting it to the Facebook GBACW group page?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haubitze wrote:
Thanks, Thomas! I'm interested in a PDF for your new scenario, too. Have you thought about posting it to the Facebook GBACW group page?

Actually I hadn't I need a good proof read
However I'll send you a copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Picayune
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas,

Mind sending me a copy too please? I can proof it and return as well (I do proofing for one of the companies producing Advanced Squad Leader products if that helps.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.