GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,524 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
93 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you loan out games? (Poll) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Do you loan your games to people or not? Which of the following best describes your usual policy?
I loan games to anyone.
I loan games to people I know by name.
I loan games to friends.
I loan games to close, trusted friends.
I don’t loan out my games.
      667 answers
Poll created by shotokanguy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Not ever. I have friends who do, and I've learnt from their mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Well, I'm the first of 50 to say "anyone". I'm surprised.

I've been at conventions where someone asked if they could borrow a game, and I said "sure" - and I probably knew their face but not their name.

It does depend on the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radu Stanculescu
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm at gaming night I'll loan to anyone provided I get it back by the end of the night. But I only let friends take the game home with them to play. It's pretty much the norm in my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dauncey
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends a lot on the game to be honest. I would loan a small, cheap and easy to get hold of game like Love Letter to pretty much anyone. A limited edition or rare game I wouldn't lend to anyone except a close trusted friend (without children). The more easy to get hold of games I would lend to pretty much any of my friends. It depends on how much value I place on the game in the end...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:

I've been at conventions where someone asked if they could borrow a game, and I said "sure" - and I probably knew their face but not their name.

True, I'd do that.

FWIW I thought the OP/Poll meant "loan" in the sense of let them take it home and give it back days later, analogous to loaning a book. But if it means "loan" also in this sense of let someone in the same room or same con play it and give it back a short while later, then certainly I'd do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so situational it's hard to answer. The cheaper and more common the game, the more willing I am to lend it out. I'll lend anyone I know even slightly well Sushi Go Party or The Grizzled. Those are cheap. I would only loan friends I really REALLY trust a game I have a lot for like Baseball Highlights or Seasons, and I would definitely want to be a part of any event where a friend wants to get Xia or Too Many Bones from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
russ wrote:
FWIW I thought the OP/Poll meant "loan" in the sense of let them take it home and give it back days later, analogous to loaning a book.

You're probably right; I hadn't read it that way.

That would make it less likely, but there are still some games I'd lend without worrying too much. Of course - if I didn't get a game back, you probably wouldn't get loaned another.

To be honest, I have a fair number of games that I'd never miss if they simply disappeared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
FWIW I thought the OP/Poll meant "loan" in the sense of let them take it home and give it back days later, analogous to loaning a book.

That's what I take as being the question asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shotokanguy wrote:
Poll
Do you loan your games to people or not? Which of the following best describes your usual policy?
I loan games to anyone.
I loan games to people I know by name.
I loan games to friends.
I loan games to close, trusted friends.
I don’t loan out my games.
      667 answers
Poll created by shotokanguy

I voted for friends, but often enough I bring my games to game night or a larger event and then everyone may play with it at that event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
No way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AED CD CAG AED
Austria
flag msg tools
I store games in other households, does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of my gamer friends, yes. any of my regular friends, very situational, and probably wouldn't be borrowing my heavy cardboard.

My gamer friends lent to me in the beginning and I was very grateful. I have pretty much no problem with any game, it would be rare I would turn someone down, only cause I know they care for games at same level as me, and would be "good for it" were any damage to occur. I am lucky to have such conscientious people!

I would pretty much lend any game I brought to a con, only cause I don't usually bring my most valuable ones. But again, I trust the people, and out con is small, nobody gonna do nothin' shady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loan games to people who let me play with their games (not necessarily loaning them). I joined a Pathfinder group and play with one person's game. I trust him with my games, because of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to load to friends. Then I started getting things back damaged or not getting things back. Now, if you want to play the game, come round and we'll play it.

Games nights are a different matter - I don't think of it as "loaning" if I'm in the same room!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
Twice i got a check back when someone borrowed my games. Both times the games, one was an expansion, was hard to come by items.

Only games that are currently available will be loaned to friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never. To be fair, I've never been asked, but I know my answer would be negative. It's purely on the basis that games have too many small, light components, many of which cannot easily be replaced (or cannot be replaced at all), and whilst I am certain that most of my gaming friends would do their utmost to look after the game, I believe there is an inescapable and unconscious relaxation of one's guard around the use of objects that aren't one's own. And accidents do happen. So I'd rather face some disappointment from a friend than have them face my unholy wrath...

To clarify: at my weekly games group, I bring along a selection of games and am happy to let others at the session play any of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I clicked "loan to friends" as I regularly bring party and gateway games to get-togethers to play with non-gaming friends and family. But I very rarely lend my games out properly, despite having done so on occassion to close friends - but, honestly, I was internally slightly begrudging of this. On the other hand, I have and will continue to lend stuff to my game group with no hesitation at all.

I've been a student for the past four years and didn't have much disposable income before that anyway. I know games are only possessions, but I do take meticulously good care of everything I own as I've never been in a position to replace or upgrade things on a whim. Even so, I'd still happily lend the vast majority of people I know any books or films I own, for example, but I'm particularly fussy with games. I'm aware that to most folks board games aren't an important part of a hobby or their leisure time - they're things that you might mess around with at Christmas before putting them back in the attic again. So I just worry about how well they'd get looked after by people that aren't that into them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
I believe there is an inescapable and unconscious relaxation of one's guard around the use of objects that aren't one's own. And accidents do happen.

I'm more concerned about other people's stuff than my own stuff. If I spill beer over my game I might decide I can decide whether I can live with the damage, if I did the same to someone else's game I'd replace it. If they weren't around when the damage occurred I'd try to get a replacement before I needed to tell them about the damage. Under some circumstances I might check if they actually wanted a replacement - if they have lent me a game they are unlikely to play themselves then a they might not want a new copy, in which case buying the game off them at a fair price for an undamaged second hand game might be more appropriate. I have borrowed games of people (a few short term, two games we've had for a few years), but they have always been borrowed from close friends or family. I think I've lent people games in the past and no harm has come to them. I might lend some games to people I barely knew, but only if I wasn't going to be too worried if I didn't get them back.

I'd certainly have no problem with people playing my games during a game night. Well as long as I have no reason to think they are going to be totally irresponsible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I stopped taking games to the meetup I attend because too many times someone has played one of my games and not packed it up correctly. I almkst want to use the phrase trashed it.

I lent a game to a friend who likewise did the same.

So I only let my fiance take ticket to ride to play with her family if I am not around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good grief, most certainly not!

I've seen folks flexing my cards like they are pulling a longbow - and that's while I am there!

surprise

No, these games will stay at home!

There are a few I would lend that I have backup copies of. And I'd consider giving away a few games. I'd generally rather say no or give away than to loan.

Past bad experiences of stuff either never coming back or being broken and not replaced...

I try not to be hypocritical so turn down offers to borrow stuff from others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I voted for "I loan games to close, trusted friends", but it would depend entirely upon *which* games and *which* friends.

It would be a real blessing to have friends that I know and trust so well that I would loan out absolutely any game in my collection for them to play, though I might cheerfully loan out the lesser games that aren't special, rare, or expensive.

But even then, to be perfectly honest, I have to say that if someone is going to be playing one of my games, I wanna play too!!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Big
United States
Belpre
Ohio
flag msg tools
Games need more Orange!
badge
I'm bigger than you, no, really, I probably am...
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

I'm gunshy from bad past experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I don't loan (or borrow) anything, much less really important things like games.

I am happy to bring things over and use them with or for you; I often sell things I don't need or want any more, and often for only a token payment*

Some things I donate to charity, for their resale.

Games, hell no. I resell those for good, fair prices, keeps my hobby going.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be" seems like such common sense, should be obvious to anyone that wants to live in a harmonious civil society. But I got out to the world and found that it weren't so, when I started meeting people who loaned out anything and everything. And they're constantly making new converts to their cargo cult, by trying to borrow stuff off everyone they meet. Why do they constantly need to borrow stuff? Because they loaned all their stuff out, including stuff they need everyday!!!

"Hey, can I borrow your car?"
"Hell no. Are you insane?"
"Well, can you give me a ride?"
"Is something wrong with your car? What happened?"
"Well, I loaned it to X for an hour yesterday and they haven't brought it back and I need to get to work..."
"So you wanted to borrow mine? And I would get it back when? Whenever you get your back from X, when he gets his back from Y???"

I quickly saw how this creeping irresponsibility served to bind everyone together ... in a chaos of mutual, neverending web of unfulfilled obligations.

Please folks, stop the madness.

* Why not just give them away? People are too quick to take free stuff just because they can. It goes to clutter, and disuse, I may as well not use it myself and let it clutter up my own home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
SteveK2 wrote:

True, I'd do that.

FWIW I thought the OP/Poll meant "loan" in the sense of let them take it home and give it back days later, analogous to loaning a book. But if it means "loan" also in this sense of let someone in the same room or same con play it and give it back a short while later, then certainly I'd do that.

Yes, I was thinking “loan” as in for a few days, but now I think it could apply to any situation in which your game is out of sight for a meaningful amount of time, maybe only a few hours. At this point it will just have to be ambiguous.

I also assume this is an average game in your collection. Not a cheap, nearly disposable card game but not an expensive, OOP game either.

Thanks everyone for your votes and comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.