GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,270 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong» Forums » Rules

Subject: ID Question (Murder/Apprentice) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Heimlich
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So one thing I'm not clear on that the rules seem vague on AND online videos seem to conflict on deals with role identification.

When the Witness is given the information about the identity of the Murderer and the Apprentice, how is the Forensic Scientist limited in ID'ing them?

In other words, do they just point simultaneously to each? Do they point to one first, and then the other, thus suggesting the first is the murderer? Can they mouth the words silently, "Murderer, Apprentice" to be clear?

I suspect from what's written in the manual that players are coming up with their own take on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
The rulebook says to point to both of them, and does not specify that you're supposed to indicate any additional information (eg. which person is the murderer). So we point to both at the same time.
However, if you you watch the video they host on the rules page of their site, she says to first point to the murderer and then the accomplice. That would probably be the official call.

I like our way because it gives the murderer a better chance of survival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
The witness should not be informed who is who.

A better way to do it than pointing may be to say something like
"Murderer and accomplice put your thumbs up.
Witness open your eyes.
Witness close your eyes.
Murderer and accomplice put your thumbs down"

-Josh
Grey Fox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Karmic_devil wrote:

Witness open your eyes.
Witness close your eyes.

-Josh
Grey Fox Games

Thanks for your input Josh. I like this a lot better than pointing. Less ambiguity around a crowded table. Are you aware that the video shown on the rules page of your website explicitly says to first point to the murderer and then the accomplice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Heimlich
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karmic_devil wrote:

Witness open your eyes.
Witness close your eyes.

Perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have altered it to help the murderer: the witness gets to inquire about two of the detectives. Point to someone as if to ask the forensic scientist, "Is this person involved in the crime?" FS either nods or shakes their head. Witness points at one more person and FS answers appropriately.

Leaves a lot of doubt as to who the murderer is if the witness only learns 0-1 people involved in the crime through this process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
That sounds like it greatly increases the chance of randomness.
There are other, ways to improve the chance of the murderer without making it random. For instance, I always recommend that people keep the game moving. There is almost no downtime. A new round begins, people start talking while the Forensic Scientist grabs the new clue, swaps it and then places the bullet. A total of about a minute into the round and we're already giving our presentations. It keeps the game tight, the murderer does not have to survive long, and it kind of simulates that environment of the chief telling you to wrap up the case before people get mad that we have not found a murderer yet.
Another thing we do is look at all of the clue/key-pieces-of-evidence before selecting roles. That way, everyone has the chance to think "if I am the murderer, I'll pick this bat because there are a lot of other blunt objects." This reduces the chance of randomness and avoids people hurriedly selecting the only key piece of evidence that has writing on it or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandizzle wrote:
Karmic_devil wrote:

Witness open your eyes.
Witness close your eyes.

-Josh
Grey Fox Games

Thanks for your input Josh. I like this a lot better than pointing. Less ambiguity around a crowded table. Are you aware that the video shown on the rules page of your website explicitly says to first point to the murderer and then the accomplice?

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I will ask our IT person to make a note on that page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.