GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,522 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Reef Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Groking the Solo Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

So, I thought it was about time I tried to get Reef Encounter on the table. It's a crime that I haven't actually played it yet! One problem I have is that currently I have no-one to play with, so I rummaged around and discovered that there is a solo variant here on the Geek courtesy of GameRulesforOne...hooray!

Now, despite having not played yet, I think I understand the general flow of the full multiplayer game.

But the solo variant is, for some reason, not gelling yet, specifically the opponent AI behavior. Too many i.'s and 1.'s and a.'s and #'s for my brain I suppose

One question to get things off to a start; how can the game (the AI opponent) expand polyp groupings if it doesn't own any tiles? Nowhere in setup indicates that the AI draws tiles. And it seems that whenever the AI takes tiles from the boards, they immediately go into its parrot fish.

And one more confusion; Do Bonus polyp Tiles (for the Extra Growth space) get used in the solo variant? I can't see any reference to it in the rules. Is it possible that the Extra Growth spaces are ignored for this variant?

Maybe that's a good place to stop for now. Anyone with some experience of the solo variant who might be able to shed some light for me would be most appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DH Bok
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should add a link to the gamerules for one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luckystreak wrote:
So, I thought it was about time I tried to get Reef Encounter on the table. It's a crime that I haven't actually played it yet! One problem I have is that currently I have no-one to play with...
You could play for free at http://spielbyweb.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DH Bok
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mr. Breese himself! We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Breese wrote:
luckystreak wrote:
So, I thought it was about time I tried to get Reef Encounter on the table. It's a crime that I haven't actually played it yet! One problem I have is that currently I have no-one to play with...
You could play for free at http://spielbyweb.com/

Hi Richard, and thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction! I've just now created a game, and look forward to someone joining

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.