GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,493 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fellow in another thread sparked this idea and it works really well.

Make a deck with one card of all the different Necromancers
Make a deck with one card of all the different Abominations
Make a deck with all the special items from all the expansions

1) Pick either Green Horde or Black Plague base games to play.
2) Start with just the base game spawn decks and add up to two other Special Zombie types, like Wolfz, Tainted, etc.
3) When you spawn a Necromancer, roll a die: Blue 5+, Yellow 4+, Orange 3+, Red 2+ - draw a card from the special Necromancer deck and spawn that Necromancer.
4) Same as above for the Abominations.
5) For the Item deck, when a player draws Apples, Water, etc - they have the option of instead drawing from the expansion items.

I am not completely sold on #5 yet, but it seemed to work in our last game. The problem is it makes searching really efficient. I may end up adding a couple foreign language item cards to the deck for the expansion decks. The issue is getting the balance right.

The side decks allow all the different Necromancers and Abominations to show up at random, with out having to constantly build and unbuild the spawn deck. With only two other special zombies, it doesn’t dilute the spawn deck too much, though I could see adding one extra Necromancer and Abomination card per two extra special zombie groups.

I get it that these games are more of a build it yourself sandbox, but it sure would have been nice of the designers to have put a bit more thought into a system to efficiently balance these things.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris nelson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this idea for the necromancers, abominations and deck construction. I'm not as much of a fan of the item deck though. I've pretty much given up on trying to combine everything, but I think trying to combine everything would end up a giant fiddly mess anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Menial
Germany
Rödermark
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:

2) Start with just the base game spawn decks and add up to two other Special Zombie types, like Wolfz, Tainted, etc.
3) When you spawn a Necromancer, roll a die: Blue 5+, Yellow 4+, Orange 3+, Red 2+ - draw a card from the special Necromancer deck and spawn that Necromancer.
5) For the Item deck, when a player draws Apples, Water, etc - they have the option of instead drawing from the expansion items.

Question if I got that right:
A spawn of an Abomination is only triggered by a standard abomination card which is included in one of the base games and then a dice is rolled to determine if a standard abom or a special abom appears. What happens with aboms already on the map when a standard abomination card is drawn? Do they get an activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirka Dirka
msg tools
mb
if you dont have an extra abom to place, then it gets an activation. bp + wolf + the ks has 2 standard aboms and 2 wolfboms

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_DA wrote:
Thunder wrote:

A spawn of an Abomination is only triggered by a standard abomination card which is included in one of the base games and then a dice is rolled to determine if a standard abom or a special abom appears. What happens with aboms already on the map when a standard abomination card is drawn? Do they get an activation?

Yes, you have it correct. All the other rules for Abominations and Necromancers apply. The only thing changed is the card drawing (now with a dice roll) for spawning the specials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Menial
Germany
Rödermark
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:
Mike_DA wrote:
[q="Thunder"]...

Yes, you have it correct. All the other rules for Abominations and Necromancers apply. The only thing changed is the card drawing (now with a dice roll) for spawning the specials.

Thanks for your reply. As far as i remember a standard abomination card does not trigger an extra activation for aboms already on the board. So that would mean as long as I have aboms off-board ready for setup and depending upon the dice roll a new abom is placed on the board. aboms already on the board do not move.
Wouldn't that reduce the possibility that an abom (standard and special) moves in the following turn after setup because their cards are not in the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_DA wrote:
Thunder wrote:
Mike_DA wrote:
[q="Thunder"]...

Thanks for your reply. As far as i remember a standard abomination card does not trigger an extra activation for aboms already on the board. So that would mean as long as I have aboms off-board ready for setup and depending upon the dice roll a new abom is placed on the board. aboms already on the board do not move.
Wouldn't that reduce the possibility that an abom (standard and special) moves in the following turn after setup because their cards are not in the deck?

All Abominations attack and move normally during the Zombie turn. I am not sure what you mean by “in the following turn after setup”. They attack and move as normal once they are spawned.

You are correct - this does eliminate the Extra Activations from the other cards not being in the spawn deck. You could easily fix this by applying the Necromancer “all Necromancers activate” ruble to Abominations. Or giving an extra activation to all Abominations on a roll of a 6.

Both the original method and this method add chaos to the game, tweak it to fit your tastes.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.