GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,066 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Century: Eastern Wonders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Choosing not to move clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miles Hubble
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Question about choosing not to move: is this considered to be not performing a move, or performing a movement of zero? This is important because two actions can potentially occur after you move.

The rulebook states, "When you end your movement on a market tile where
one or more other boats are present, you must pay each
of their owner 1 cube from your cargo. However, you
cannot end your movement on a market tile where other
boats are present if you don’t have enough cubes to pay all
concerned players.
"

I believe this is reason to consider not moving to be not performing a move. Otherwise, according to the rules, a player could have to pay other players on their tile even when they don't move, and if they are surrounded by other boats, this could end up with weird scenarios where you would be forced to move but can't.

The rulebook also states, "If there are cubes on the tile where you have ended your movement, you may place them in your cargo hold." My reading of the rules would imply that you cannot collect these cubes if you haven't moved.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Uberdemnebelmeer wrote:
Question about choosing not to move: is this considered to be not performing a move, or performing a movement of zero? This is important because two actions can potentially occur after you move.

The rulebook states, "When you end your movement on a market tile where
one or more other boats are present, you must pay each
of their owner 1 cube from your cargo. However, you
cannot end your movement on a market tile where other
boats are present if you don’t have enough cubes to pay all
concerned players.
"

I believe this is reason to consider not moving to be not performing a move. Otherwise, according to the rules, a player could have to pay other players on their tile even when they don't move, and if they are surrounded by other boats, this could end up with weird scenarios where you would be forced to move but can't.

The rulebook also states, "If there are cubes on the tile where you have ended your movement, you may place them in your cargo hold." My reading of the rules would imply that you cannot collect these cubes if you haven't moved.

Thanks!

Hi Miles, those are very keen questions. The rules state that "You may move your boat..." therefore you may choose not to move your boat. Since you did not move, you are not ending your movement as no movement took place. You will not need to pay other players that have their boats in that space when you choose not to move. On that same token, if there are cubes on the market tile your boat is on, you will not be able to pick them up as you did not end your movement on that tile as no movement occurred. Now.. if there is a brown cube sitting there, I would move out and back just to pick it up if it were me but that rarely if ever happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Emerson, that makes sense. I'd been wondering this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wood

Ohio
msg tools
Emerson, how does this relate to starting boat location, particularly if two players choose the same starting location. On another thread, it was suggested that if two players start on the same location, the starting player would need to pay a later player a cube for "choosing not to move" as a move.

Also, in your latter comment, how would one execute a move off and back on? Would this require a cube to be placed, since it is two moves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Yerger
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Until I see an official response, I’m going to house rule that you have to pick an unoccupied market tile as your starting location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
West Lafayette
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodra wrote:
Emerson, how does this relate to starting boat location, particularly if two players choose the same starting location. On another thread, it was suggested that if two players start on the same location, the starting player would need to pay a later player a cube for "choosing not to move" as a move.

Also, in your latter comment, how would one execute a move off and back on? Would this require a cube to be placed, since it is two moves?

From this: "You will not need to pay other players that have their boats in that space when you choose not to move." Apparently, you do not need to pay others on the same space if you do not move,

And yeah, you would need to drop a cube if you move off and back on a space (unless you have the movement upgrade), judging by the fact that he said that he would do it for a brown cube. Doubt it would be worth losing a cube for a cube unless it's a high-value one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
woodra wrote:

Apologies for the delay. I read through the final version of the rules again and contacted Plan B to confirm. During the initial placement of the boats, a player may place a boat on the same tile as another player. Since there is no movement involved and the rules specifically state that you only pay cubes to opponents when you end your movement, no cubes are paid to opponents when you place your boat on the same tile as an opponent's boat during setup.

For those at Origins: I apologize, I was asked the same question at Origins Game Fair and I had responded with what I recalled from an earlier ruleset of the game, which was paying a cube to an opponent anytime you entered a tile with an opponent's boat. Please disregard that and go with the rules as written (unless of course you prefer that houserule ).

Game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
woodra wrote:

You may move off and back onto the same tile you started from. This may require you to place a cube on another tile. If you have the upgrade tile that gives you an additional movement point, you will not need to put any cubes on the board in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wood

Ohio
msg tools
Thanks much sir for the clarifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.