GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,370 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Nemo's War (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Game Difficulty/Complexity? Really only 2.8? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Paolucci
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was just curious as to the relative difficulty/complexity of this game. I notice it only rates 2.8 on the difficulty scale here, but looks like it has a pretty sizeable rules manual packed with text. There seem to be a lot of moving parts going on. That complexity rating puts it slightly below games such as Viticulture, Glass Road, Castles of Burgundy, etc. For those of you guys lucky enough to own it, would you say that rating is fairly accurate? About to pre-order.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but I'd consider who has played it. Primarily solo gamers (given the genre) and/or war gamers (given the company). So their 2.8 may not be the same as other's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played it four or five times and found the game quite straightforward. The rule book is long but excellent. I certainly think it is around as complex as those heavy Euros you mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael MS
Australia
DUBBO
NSW
flag msg tools
Check my instagram @feeltheboardgame and Youtube @Feeltheboard
badge
Ouch, my nose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren,

It's not a difficult game to learn and is very straightforward. Yes, the game looks difficult because of the final results, but mainly is because of the theme.

In my opinion, light/medium difficulty game. About the pre-order, without a doubt, it's in my top 10 solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemo's war is completely unique -- that by itself will make it seem a little more complex, purely because of the lack of..."Oh, I know, that's just like 'game XXX' that I have played". Of course players that are familiar with First Edition should have many less problems, and would probably rate it "less complex" (especially since many miss some crucial changes to the new Edition).

Once you have got the rules pretty well down, Nemo's war is not a hard game to actually play -- the board provides almost every tidbit necessary, and turns flow very smoothly. In fact it is spectacularly easy to just "wander around" admiring the "sights", soaking in the flavor text...and then being crushed. Or ending with a score that looks like you just learned to play from a friend that read the rules that morning.

Playing WELL, now that IS complex -- "2.8" doesn't do justice to the somewhat shocking depth this game so unexpectedly provides. Not understanding the implications of a couple of crucial "rule twists" have undermined many a "would-be Nemo" -- some of which have declared Nemo a "hopeless, die-ridden, luck-fest". They don't have even a clue "what they don't know", because of the depth involved didn't "speak to them". And the videos people now commonly use to learn games? -- they almost uniformly exhibit dubious play, AND most have gotten key rules...JUST. PLAIN. WRONG.

I am not entirely sure what people are considering when they rate a game's "weight", but I would never take such a "number" as the basis of my "do I buy" decision. Look deeper, ask questions (well, you are) -- I would normally say also "Do you like the theme", but this game may transcend that question. I had no interest in Nemo's theme when asked to work on it -- didn't seem like my "cup of tea" at all, did it only as a "favor". Well, I was the one getting "the favor", as against all odds, Nemo became my favorite solitaire game -- and an absolute pleasure to develop and "playtest" (I should really stop calling them "playtests" when they outnumber all the other games I have played in the last 46 years). Doesn't mean you will like it though -- just saying there is more than meets the eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso M.
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
It is not important to win, it is important not to lose!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules are not difficult to learn or assimilate by any means, even if the contents of the rulebook is strangely organized. In any case, most reference info is summarized and printed on the board itself so the memory effort is minimal. If game difficulty would refer to winning the game, that's indeed on the -rather- hard side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C S
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think BGG weight ratings tend to skew upwards for more popular games because they get more votes from inexperienced players.

Nemo's War definitely heavier than Glass Road or Viticulture but it's overall fairly streamlined for a "heavy" game. Most of the actions are straightforward (bet resources, roll dice, get reward or penalty) and there are no really complex procedures or obscure exceptions to remember. The rulebook is long because it's thorough and has lots of examples for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Paolucci
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks to all for the quick and informative replies! I primarily solo and this sounds like a no-brainer.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mb
It looks far more complicated than it actually is. Once you sit down and start playing it, it's quite intuitive and easy to pick up.

It's also awesome.

http://statelyplay.com/2017/09/20/cardboard-critique-nemos-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not at all difficult to learn, most of the game is pretty intuitive. It helps a lot that once you have gone through the rule book the board has all the info you need to remind you of the rules. Rulebook is nicely laid out and written, had no trouble at all. In my top 5 solo games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rulebook is one of the best ive read, made it easy for me to learn and use as a quick reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.