GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,725 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
Currently working on: Tinmates
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been created for the 2018 Solitaire Print and Play Contest

Currently in IDEAS phase (some components ready)

Age 7+
1+ Players
Light-medium weight
~30 minutes

Backpack Beasties is a roll and write game of exploration and adventure for 1+ players. Players explore an unfamiliar land, collecting and training beasties for their backpack, which they will use to challenge the champions of the land.

The game is played over three levels of difficulty, with more and more powerful Beasites to collect and increasingly difficult champions to challenge.

Once a player beats the third champion, they win the game and add up their victory points to find out where they rank on the Champion’s Ladder

Each player plays the game simultaneously, with only the roll of the dice passing to the next player in clockwise order (if playing with more than one player)

The game can be played with 1+ players, meaning that any amount of players can play as long as they have their own player map and pen/pencil.

Backpack Beasties has been created for this contest so it's in the very early ideas stage. See designer diary for more information.

Backpack Beasties is being developed to be entered into the following categories:

Main Contest Categories:
1 - Best Overall Game - Award for the overall contest
2 - Best Original Artwork - Artwork created specifically for the game, either by the designer or another artist
3 - Best Graphic Design - Focuses on layout, aesthetics, and functionality of components. This category allows both original work and existing public domain/creative commons artwork.
4 - Most Innovative Mechanic - Games in this category should have an original mechanic or combination of mechanics
5 - Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray - Game playable in an area approximately 16 inches (40 cm) by 9 inches (23 cm)
6 - Best Rule Book - Best written rules. Also includes rule clarity, layout, and organization
7 - Best Easy to Build Game - Games that can be built by the average PNP builder in 15 minutes or less
10 - Best grayscale/low ink printing - Games that look nice and are playable when printed in black and white.
13 - Most Thematic Game - Games where the mechanics are closely aligned with a great theme
14 - Best Game Designed in Contest Timeframe - A game developed entirely after the contest start date
16 - Best Game by a New Solo Designer - A designer that has released other games but never designed a solitaire game before
17 - Best Playtester - Award for the user who offered the best playtester and feedback in the contest

Thematic/Mechanic Categories:
2 - Best Dungeon Crawl (Games that involve character stat development, exploring, treasure hunting, and fighting bad guys. Could be fantasy, sci-fi, etc)

Components

Components are currently only available for the Charter phase of the game. This can be tested with the rules and player mats below:

Player Mats
Rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Backpack Beasties (2018 Solitaire Print and Play Contest) - IDEA PHASE
Changelog

V0: Version 0 included 3 levels of the charter phase and was just the concept of the charter phase
V1: Version 1 now only has 2 levels, level 1 and 2 (previously level 2 and 3 respectively). Still only the charter phase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Backpack Beasties (2018 Solitaire Print and Play Contest) - IDEA PHASE
Coming Soon:
An actual game and not just an idea
Images
Component count
Playtime
Links to components, rules etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Champion's Ladder:

Name - Number of Plays - High Score (and version #)

Simon Milburn - 8 plays - 99 points (version 1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious to see how this develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you need a mechanic for environment exploration:

This Guy has a nifty mechanic to offer .. and he has spent some thought on terrain tables that create realistic terrain ..

Worth a glance!

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for stopping by to check out Backpack Beasties!

About me:

This is the first solo game I've designed but not the first contest I've entered. The contests I've entered and their entries are listed here:

Tinmates for the 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest
Dice Diner for the 2018 2 player PnP contest

I've really enjoyed the challenges that come with designing a new game from the start of each contest and see these contests as a workout for my game designing brain. I aim to give as much feedback as possible in the contests and this one should be the easiest one to give feedback for because I don't need to find willing playtesters!

Backpack Beasties inspiration:

I was inspired by the discussion thread to try and design a solo game. I'm doing some volunteering for Alley Cat Games, who've recently signed 'Welcome to Dino World' and looking into it has inspired me to venture down the roll and write path too!

The game is loosely based on the Pokemon/Digimon theme of a hero who's starting off on their journey to get together a team of monsters (Beasties in this case) to challenge some existing champion and be the very best (like no-one ever was)

Current ideas :

P.S. I'm going to use 'the player' as 'players' interchangeably here because although I've designed this game with solo at the forefront, it's a 1+ game and I find myself typing 'players' a lot naturally. This disclaimer will save me a lot of corrections. Sorry for any confusion! I'll fix it for the rulebook (I hope...)

The game will be played over 3 'levels' which dictate the difficulty of the enemies and also the power of the Beasties that the player is able to collect. This will be done by adding a dice at each level so that level 1 has 1 d6 and level 3 has 3d6

In each level, there will be 3 'phases'

1 - Charter phase
In this phase, players will draw out the map they are exploring. At the moment the idea is to have a grid-style map with an area in the middle where the players will eventually challenge the current champion. The players need to draw out paths for them to travel to the centre. Players will use the dice rolled to determine what paths they will draw. I'm not exactly how this is going to work yet but you get the idea.

In this phase, players will also draw enclosures for the beasties they are going to catch on their journey. The beasties they are going to be able to catch will be determined by the dice.

The beasties will also have a 'rarity' rating based on the probability of rolling that number and a type' based on where it'll be drawn on the map

This is the bit I've given most thought to so far so I think it will work like this:

Level 1:
Dice roll = 1,2,3,4,5,6
Beasties A-F all 'common' beasts

Level 2:
Dice roll = 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12
Beasties G-Q mostly common, some rare, and a couple of epic beasties, determined by their probability to be rolled

Level 3:
Dice roll = 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18
Beasties R-# some common, some rare, some epic, and some legendary beasties determined by their probability to be rolled

Obviously, I need to think of some better names and ways to represent these beasties but I hope that part makes sense.

The player will need to travel through these enclosures on their route to collect the beasties.

2 - Explore phase

the players will travel the map they have created, crossing off paths and enclosures as they go. The paths they travel must eventually lead to the centre 'Champion' (players should be able to make this path easily)

As they collect beasties, players will take the corresponding card and place it in front of them to show that the beastie is now in their backpack

I think I'm going to put in some special enclosures too that'll let players alter the dice rolls. like they could collect tokens as they travel through and discard them to alter dice

3 - Challenge phase

Players do battle with the central champion for that level.

I'm not sure how to determine the central challenger's own beasties yet, but thinking that the battles will

First, they'll battle by rarity, with the rarest beastie winning. If still a tie, they battle by type(following a rock paper scissors type mechanism), if still a tie they battle by level. If still a tie, the player has failed to beat the champion.

I might re-order these as I've obviously not playtested yet at all

If the player sucessfully defeats the champion they will win the level. If they beat the third champion, they win and add up their points (from beasties, unused tokens, etc.) to get a score for the Champion's Ladder.

Phew, that was a lot of typing! If you have any questions or comments so far then let me know and please consider subscribing to the thread to stay up to date with the progress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
Curious to see how this develops.

Thanks for the interest Israel. Hopefully that big wall of text I just posted will give you an idea of what I've been doing since the contest launched!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
In case you need a mechanic for environment exploration:

This Guy has a nifty mechanic to offer .. and he has spent some thought on terrain tables that create realistic terrain ..

Worth a glance!

Kind regards,
Kai

Oh gosh, I've just taken a brief look at this and my mind is already spinning with potential ideas! I didn't even consider having the environment as a randomly generated aspect of the game but I love the idea of that and it'd work really well with the theme of exploration and adventure in Backpack Beasties. I'm going to dive deeper into this for sure.

Thanks Kai!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done 2 very short playtests so far and here are the results. As you can see I'm in the very early prototype stages for now so don't judge a book by its cover!

In these playtests I only tested out the roll and write mechanism, not the combat.

Playtest 1

In this playtest I just wanted to see if my idea for the roll and write mechanism actually worked and it seems to have gone well. There are definitely tweaks to be made but it was possible to charter the map and collect beasties for 3 rounds

Playtest 2

I tried to push the game a little here and found an exploit in the penalty mechanism I'd added, where I said players had to cross off a path, which were being generated faster than they needed to be crossed off, so it wasn't much of a penalty.

I'm going to change the penalty to be crossing off hexes and also add in a penalty in levels 1 and 2 as well because they seemed way too easy. I want almost all players to be able to make it through level 1, most through 2 and have 3 challenging.

Anyway, more changes to make before the next playtest and I'm keeping this short because I already wrote this update once and BGG lost it shake

More beasties updates coming soon goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Playtest 3

I was actually really pleased with how this playtest went. The players can now assign which numbers they want to assign to the hazards and the hazard numbers are assigned at a rate based on each unique number that the player rolls.

That's going to be a little challenging to explain clearly in the rulebook but I'll explain it here like this:

The player must assign a hazard to a number for every 3 unique number they roll.

Example:
In level 1 Jim rolls a 3 and decides to keep this as a beastie/path number and decides to draw a path. He then rolls a 2 and does the same but this time draws an enclosure instead of a path. On his third roll he rolls a 2 again and drawn an enclosure next to the existing enclosure. On his fourth roll, he rolls a 6. This is his third unique number so he must assign 6 as a hazard.

Jim could have done this at any time with the 3, 2 or 6 he rolled, as long as by the time he's rolled his third unique number, one of them is a hazard

You can see how I've done this in the image below

As you can see, in level 1 I rolled a 2 then 3 then 1. I had to assign 1 to the hazard because it was the third unique number I rolled but I could have assigned it to 2 or 3.

The interesting choice comes when assigning hazards at a later level, where the probability of the dice matters. The lower probability dice give higher reward beasties. so do you assign a hazard to a low priority dice, hoping that it won't come up as often but sacrificing the possibility of getting that rarer, more valuable beastie? or do you assign the hazard to a higher probability dice roll, knowing that it'll come up more often but when it does you're only missing out on getting a common, low points beastie?

I also added in a little set collection. If you get all possible rarities in level 2 (epic, rare, common) you get 2 extra points for each set and if you get all possible rarities in level 3 (legendary, epic, rare, common) you get 5 extra points per set. I think this will make for some more interesting decisions down the line but I need a few more playtests to see if it works.

If the next few tests of this section go well I should have some short rules available for other to try out this section out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtest 4

I emulated playtest 3's rules and continued to test the roll and write of the map, which seems to be working well. I'm going to test it a few more times before releasing the rules to everyone but if it continues this way I'll be happy to do that in a couple more playtests.

Might get a chance to playtest it with another player tonight to see how different it'll be when playing with two players. It'll be interesting to see how he plays compared to me and if there are any issues when playing with more players. I suspect that everyone will use the dice a little differently but that everyone will finish the level at slightly different times, which could lead to a little downtime. Obviously, this isn't the major issue with this contest since it's a solo contest but it'd be good if I could find a solution to this while developing it now so that I don't have to go back and change things later on down the line.

On another note, playtest 3 scored 56 points and playtest 4 scored 48 points. The set collection gave playtest 3 another 5 points and I like this aspect for now as it gives players something to shoot for other than the rarest beasties.

I might have scored more in playtest 1 because I had the rule of writing a path AND an enclosure for round 1, which might have saved a bit of space in the earlier round. I took this out because I try to avoid exceptions to the rules in the games I design as I think it can confuse things for the players. I think I'll keep the rule the same as round 2 and 3 but we'll see what the next few playtests bring...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtest 5

Playtest 5 was my first multiplayer test of the game with my business partner at Dranda Games, Ayden Lowther, and brought up a few issues but nothing that can't be solved (I think!)

Here we can see both mine and Ayden's mats, which both look rather different even though I think we both have a similar playstyle when it comes to games (having played hundreds together I guess that happens!)

So, here are some of the things that went well and things that didn't go so well:

The Good

As I imagined for the roll and write aspect of the game, there's very little downtime. The game flowed well even though Ayden was learning.

The concept was pretty easy to pick up but also led to some interesting decisions and even though we were playing the same game with the same dice there was some variety in how we chose to play. This is exactly what I wanted so I'm chuffed with that outcome.

The Bad

First of all, Ayden beat me so there's something terribly wrong with the game... shake

Issue 1:
The multiplayer aspect threw up a few issues but the major one was what happens when one player declares that they are finished rolling their dice and drawing their map but the other player still wants to roll. I had anticipated this issue and thought that I'd do a staged 'first to finish gets 3 points, next gets 2, next 1, next 0' etc but this didn't seem to fit and I thought it wouldn't scale well with many more players. That said, Ayden agreed that there had to be an incentive to finish first (probably because he finished first in the first round and wanted more points! I'm on to you Ayden :what

The solution for this is that once a player has finished that player declares they are finished and gets a point for every time the dice are rolled after their last turn.

For example. There are 3 player playing, Player 1 declares they are finished after the 10th roll of the dice. The other players continue to roll the dice and player 2 declares they are finished after the 13th roll of the dice. Player 3 continues to roll and finishes after the 15th roll of the dice.

Player 1 would get 5 bonus points because the dice were rolled 5 times after they declared they were finished. Player 2 would get 2 bonus points because the dice were rolled 5 times after they declared they were finished.

I suspect I'll have to set a maximum to this so for now I'll say that the maximum number of extra rolls a player can do after another player has finished is 10 and so that's the maximum number of bonus points a player can get. I can work out the particulars of that at a later date and someone may be able to break this system but it'll do for now!

Issue 2:
The second issue is that level 1 is just a bit boring...

Only rolling one die doesn't give the players many different options or interesting decisions. It was easy to teach level 1 first then progress to level 2 but I think level 2 is also easy enough to teach from and gives far more interesting decisions. I'm going to take level 1 out for now and play with just 2 and 3 from now on. I might add it back in later.

Issue 3:
Not so much an issue but the next thing to think about is actually working out the battle system and giving these beasties types

The battle system needs to be developed at the same time as working out how types are determined because if the player doesn't win the battle (or the majority of the battles, undecided on that at the moment) they can't progress to the next stage (The player gets points for winning the battle and progresses to the next stage. In the multiplayer option the player will always progress to the next stage but won't get the bonus)

So, placing the beasties will become more tactical because you're not only trying to get the rarest beasties, you're also trying to get the best type for the upcoming battle.

Thoughts on the battle system so far:

At the beginning of each level, the Champion reveals the 4 beasties they're going to battle with. The player only knows the 'type' of the beastie but in the deck the Champion will have a variety of beastie strengths. The order of battle is first done by the strength of the beastie and then by type.

For example. Legendary will always beat Epic, Epic Beats Rare, Rare beats common.

Legendary > Epic > Rare > Common

They all draw to their own strength.

So you always want to play the rarest beastie right? well yes but if you draw it comes down to the type of beastie, which you should already know because you can see the types revealed at the start. but what if you only have a common or rare water beastie or an epic grass beastie to choose to go aginst against an unknown strength fire beastie. are you going to choose the epic strength one knowing there's less epic strength beasties in the Champion's deck so you're more likely to win or are you going to go with the type you know will win hoping that the enemy's strengh is equal to or lower than yours?

Thats the sort of intersting decision I want the players to be able to make but I'm not sure how that's going to play out yet!

I'm thinking of having 4 types (was 6 but going to reduce it): Water, Fire, Ground, Electric

Water > Fire
Fire > Ground
Ground > Electric
Electric > Water

If it's still a draw after that, the player has failed to beat the Challenger's beastie. In the single player they must beat 3/4 of the beasties in level 2 and 5/6 of the beasties in level 3.

Would be intersted to hear others' thoughts on that idea and any feedback on the design so far. Looking forward to getting it out to you all to play test very soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtests 6, 7, and 8

I've run out of printed copies of my game mat so I'm using a stylus on my phone to roll and write on screenshots of my digital game mat

I've taken out level 1, so there's now only levels 2 and 3.

Playtest 6

Playtest 6 was the first playtest without level 1. There was a higher score in the game, which is to be expected as there's more chance to catch higher rarity beasties. I got 99 points which I think is a particularly high score because I did a pretty good job of collecting the sets and getting bonus points. Obviously, we'll see if that's true after a few more playtests. It's really nice playtesting a 30-minute section of a solo game because you can do so many tests very quickly and make changes based on the results.

I'm actually pretty happy with how this test went and I was playing as well as I could in this one, just to see if I could get the highest score, whereas you'll see in test 7 and 8 I tried some different strategies to see if I could trick the system a bit.

Playtest 7

In this game, I tried a strategy of getting most of my points through level 3. I did a very quick first round, as you can see by how much I struck through with the grey highlighter.

I got quite a lot more points in the second round as you might expect but I didn't do quite as well overall as I did in Playtest 6, though it was close so I think the strategy of doing more in the third round than you do in the first makes sense but doesn't break the game.

Playtest 8

Finally, in playtest 8, I tried the opposite strategy of playtest 7 and this time I tried to do most of my work in level 2.

As you can see, this was much less successful than playtest 7, but not a complete failure. If a new player tried it this way they'd still score some reasonable points and I think if you did more set collection in round 2 it could be a much higher scorer because you're getting more consistent numbers (though I'm probably wrong about that)

It seems to me that balancing the two levels with maybe slightly more emphasis on the final level would be the best way to get points. I'm hoping that the battle system will mean that this is how people will need to play to beat the champions anyway. I'm going to work on a small rules document for this phase of the game and work on the player mats so that it should be ready for you all reading this to play very soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Components are now ready for v1 of the Charter phase!

Player Mats
Rules

If you give it a playtest, don't forget to post a picture and your score.

If you have any questions please ask them here and you should be able to add a comment to the rules document and player mats document if you need to.

I'm going to start working on the battle phase now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janine Viglietti
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted some comments and questions in the google doc as I read through. I thought it might be a good idea to post them here too for other folks following along.

1. When the player adds a number to a hex, is that representing a beastie? Something else?

2. There is an enclosure hex with a 12 on it in the rules. Maybe include an example there? If the player rolls a D6 to determine an enclosure, how did the 12 happen? Or is it the sum of multiple D6?

3. Thematically, what is an enclosure? I thought that the numbers represented beasties, but now I'm not sure. If I'm right, it might be more direct to call it "Draw a Beastie." Even if they aren't, it may be beneficial to include a little flavor text in the rules infusing your theme a little more

4. How do the colors work? The board that is posted doesn't have color on it. Should I be coloring things in?

5. The rules say, "Players can decide that they are finished with the level as soon as they have a path from the edge of the map to the centre grey square. They must declare that they are finished before the next dice is rolled." Why might a player decide to finish the level? I thought it was the goal to get the highest score - shouldn't a player keep going? Is there a reason to stop sooner rather than later?

The game looks right up my ally, and I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for your feedback Janine, it's been really useful and I've made some changes to the rules based on your comments. I'll answer your questions here so that everyone can benefit from your hard work of going through the rules

thevig wrote:
I posted some comments and questions in the google doc as I read through. I thought it might be a good idea to post them here too for other folks following along.

1. When the player adds a number to a hex, is that representing a beastie? Something else?

Yes, that's representing a Beastie enclosure. I realise now that I only mentioned 'enclosures' in the rules and not the actual Beasties. I've clarified that now so I hope it's clearer

thevig wrote:
2. There is an enclosure hex with a 12 on it in the rules. Maybe include an example there? If the player rolls a D6 to determine an enclosure, how did the 12 happen? Or is it the sum of multiple D6?

In this example, the player has rolled 2d6 and got a score of 12. I've added text to the example to make this clearer. Thanks for the feedback!

thevig wrote:
3. Thematically, what is an enclosure? I thought that the numbers represented beasties, but now I'm not sure. If I'm right, it might be more direct to call it "Draw a Beastie." Even if they aren't, it may be beneficial to include a little flavor text in the rules infusing your theme a little more

I've clarified this as "Draw a Beastie enclosure" I was using "enclosure" and "Beastie" interchangeably without noticing so thanks for picking up on this. I like the idea of a bit of flavour text so I'll add some to that now

thevig wrote:
4. How do the colors work? The board that is posted doesn't have color on it. Should I be coloring things in?

I realise here that I was meant to be referring to rarities. I've changed the text to 'rarities' instead because I may have the players colour in the hexes in a different phase with map generation (Kai's suggestion) so I've changed the text now

I have changed the maps to black and white because the colours on the map don't matter for now, which I now realise is confusing since all of my previous examples have the colours!

Just ignore the colours for now, I was referring to the rarities of the beasties. I hope that makes sense!

thevig wrote:
5. The rules say, "Players can decide that they are finished with the level as soon as they have a path from the edge of the map to the centre grey square. They must declare that they are finished before the next dice is rolled." Why might a player decide to finish the level? I thought it was the goal to get the highest score - shouldn't a player keep going? Is there a reason to stop sooner rather than later?

Before I answer this let me clarify that I've now changed it to level 1 and level 2 (from level 2 and level 3) because I'm pretty certain at this point that the old level 1 isn't going back in so I'll be calling that level 0 from now on.

In level 1, you would finish because you want to save space for level 2 I level 2 I can't think of a reason you'd finish before filling the board. In multiplayer, you get a point for every time the dice is rolled after you've finished so that might get you to finish early to put some pressure on another player, but you'd probably get more points from hexes if you have more space left.

thevig wrote:
The game looks right up my ally, and I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin

I'm pleased to hear that. I hope you have fun playing the Charter phase, I'll keep everyone posted as soon as the Battle phase is completed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayden Lowther
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I just want to point out that I beat you because I'm naturally better at everything. That my constructive input. (My input was much more constructive for an hour after we played) 😉
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, it's pretty hard to see, but here are the first 3 tests for the battle system:

I'm currently working on formalised rules for this but here's the informal version for you:

The battles happen at the end of each level. After Beasties are collected, the player battles the Champion of that level (an 'AI' opponent). The player is aiming to collect beasties so they can beat the Champion and progress to the next level.

Each of the enemy Beasties has a Type and a Rarity. The Type will be known and the rarity will not. Each of the player's beasties will also have a Type and a Rarity (rarity for players is from the dice rolls, which should already be clear from the previous rules and Type is chosen when it is drawn on the map. At the moment it's chosen by the player but could be done through map generation and Beastie enclosure placement later on).

Players are trying to beat the enemy Beasties will first have to beat the rarity (which is unknown). If that's a draw they have to beat they Type.

Players can carry over Beasties from level 1 to level 2 if the Beasties aren't defeated.

In each level, the player has to defeat a certain number of Beasties to progress and win (at least in the solo mode). Level 1 = 3/4 to progress Level 2 = 5/6 to win

At the start of the charter phase, the enemy Beasties for the end of the level are determined. There are 4 enemy Beasties in Level 1 and 6 in Level 2. The Type cards are dealt face up and a rarity card is dealt face down underneath.

At the end of the charter phase the battle happens. Players have to assign one (and only one) of their Beasties to each enemy Beastie

Once assigned, players have to first beat the Rarity of an enemy Beastie, if they do, that counts as one win.
If they don't, it counts as a loss
If they draw, they then compare Type

Types are:
Ground (G)
Electricity (E)
Water (W)
Fire (F)

This is determined in a rock, paper, scissors type mechanism

G > E
E > W
W > F
F > G

If players beat this type, that counts as one win.
If they don't, it counts as a loss
If they draw, this counts as a loss too.

Distribution of these cards was as follows (for the test)

Levels 1 & 2

Rarity:
L
E E E
R R R R R R
C C C C C C C C C C

Type:
F F F W W W E E E G G G

But I'm thinking of editing this for each level to make it reflect the probabilities a bit better

Level 1:

Rarity:
E E
R R R R
C C C C C C C

Type:
F F W W E E G G

Level 2:

Rarity:
L
E E E
R R R R R R
C C C C C C C C C C

Type:
F F F W W W E E E G G G

Like I said, I'm formalising rules for this so should have them done by the end of this week but would be interested to hear first thuoghts.

In the examples:
I took the beasties from playtests 6, 7, & 8 and battled them using the process described above.

Playtest 6 won 3/4 in the first round and 5/6 in the second round

Playtest 7 won 3/4 in the first round (didn't collect enough in level 1) and 5/6 in the second round

Playtest 8 won 3/4 in the first round and 5/6 in the second round.

I'm not sure if I want to make the game more about being challenging, making it more difficult to win or if I want to keep it as it is right now and make the game about getting the best score and having a leaderboard and ratings where players can get a rating for their score

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't managed to do any work on the cards this week but I've almost finished the rules document. I won't make any promises as to when this and the cards will be done but I'll post an update when they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made the decision to withdraw Backpack Beasties from the competition. I've not worked on it for a while now and have other games that I'm working on that are taking priority. I'll probably come back to it but I won't get round to it before the end of the competition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.