GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,470 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom» Forums » General

Subject: Price Increase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: crowdfunding [+] [View All]
Luke T.
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello I have always regretted not backing this one and have been eyeing it from their online store. Looks like yesterday they increased the price from 70 to 80 dollars. What bad luck i have.... Im hesitant to pick up now because I feel like i missed out on a deal (I know - im crazy .

My question is should i let this sway me? Is everyone having fun with this one? Appreciate any feedback. thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mb
It's a great game. If the theme, art, and mechanics appeal to you, and you think you'd play it a lot, then sure, spend the 80 bucks.

If you'd play it twice and shelf it, play games you already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Archon wrote:
What bad luck i have....

You do not have "bad luck", you are being punished by the gods for your lack of faith in the awesome power of Dungeon Degenerates! Blaspheme further at your own risk... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Archon wrote:
My question is should i let this sway me? Is everyone having fun with this one?

For me personally, this was my best purchase of 2017. I've got over a hundred hours of table time, haven't seen everything in the base game yet, have been playing it with my regular group, my teenage kids, my 7-year-old niece, etc. etc. Blather here, which includes a link to here.

However, the Kickstarter for a new printing will apparently be starting next month? (EDIT: sorry, this month) so if you're flush with other gaming options, maybe you want to wait & see what's in the Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Edens
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
The game is a lot of fun. It is my favorite game currently to solo. I purchased several of the added books to add depth to the world I enjoy it so much.
Recently they posted that they have less then 80 copies left of the first print run. This is probably the reason for the price increase. That being said on these forums they have already started talking about a second ks.
So if you have already held off this long it may be worth it to wait for the KS. That way you can get more for your buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke T.
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - so glad I posted this. I will be waiting for the second KS as i have a ton of gaming options at my disposal right now. I prefer to get in on the goodies and help unlock more stretch goals etc. Im glad to hear the positive things about this game.

EXCITE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it for the first time this weekend (video to come as soon as I get a chance to edit it) and had a great time... despite that I kept rolling sixes all the time, every time, and my Bog Conjurer kept getting KOed and losing his XPs. The sheer amount of choices I had as to how to play through the scenario was mind-boggling, and I truly felt the pressure of having to decide whether I should rest my weary travelers in a Danger Level 5 space, thereby risking another harsh combat in the Wetlands, or whether I should balls up and just go, hoping that whatever I met on the road would be easier to deal with.

If you take a moment and immerse yourself in what's going on at any given moment, this game is completely unlike any other game I've ever played. It's like Tales of the Arabian Knights, if that game wanted to murder you and take your corpse to the Prom after a nice dinner and respectful conversation centered on your interests. I've never been so afraid of being slimed by a frog person, or so giddy about a Vermin Hunter's nigh-obscene collection of various types of gas bomb.

And that's just one playthrough.

All this to say, get in on that Kickstarter. You won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmb
The original KS was $45 so I expect the next one won't be that low.

EDIT- That was the Early Bird price, the regular KS price was $55.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
The original KS was $45 so I expect the next one won't be that low.

EDIT- That was the Early Bird price, the regular KS price was $55.

So at $70 just for the base game I guess we can assume at least $15 of profit per copy, plus whatever cost they're saving by not having to pay artists and designers for a straight reprint. yuk

Oh, and fuck early bird pledges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:
So at $70 just for the base game I guess we can assume at least $15 of profit per copy, plus whatever cost they're saving by not having to pay artists and designers for a straight reprint. yuk

I hate it so much when people put a massive amount of work into a project and then profit from their effort! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
But again, as a consumer, are you getting added value from that $15 price increase? Naw.

Perhaps they sold the first run too cheaply and the new price is simply a correction, but you certainly can't blame a consumer for seeing a product costs $15 more for no value added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
gogmagog wrote:

I hate it so much when people put a massive amount of work into a project and then profit from their effort! angry

I'm all for turning a profit and benfiting from something you'very poured a lot of effort into. But when a company sells a product one year for $55 then marks-up the exact same product by over 25% the next year, then yes, I'm gonna be pissed. Can you imagine the backlash if that happened for Blu-ray's? Netflix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netflix has increased their prices several times. Amazon Prime is getting more expensive this year as well. There’s not a huge outcry if people still think they’re getting a good value for what they’re spending.

I don’t pretend to know anything about what it costs to print boardganes, but in my industry, prices can vary quite a bit year to year, largely based on the price of oil. There have been a lot of changes in the last year in the market that affect all sorts of industries.

Also, it’s possible the initial price was actually too low for the costs - this happens pretty frequently with crowd funded projects.

Ultimately, if you don’t think it’s worth the price, wait for a sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
gogmagog wrote:

I'm all for turning a profit and benfiting from something you'very poured a lot of effort into. But when a company sells a product one year for $55 then marks-up the exact same product by over 25% the next year, then yes, I'm gonna be pissed. Can you imagine the backlash if that happened for Blu-ray's? Netflix?

This happens all the time with crowd-funded games, especially involving stretch goals. Just look at Gloomhaven! Ultimately this is not Netflix or Sony, it is a small boutique game publisher (with very different economies of scale) that must carefully juggle their economics in order to survive. I paid more than $70 to get a retail copy of the first printing and don't regret it for a second. The game is totally worth it, IMO.

If you don't think it is worth it, that is your call, but getting "pissed" over it seems a bit like an over-reaction to pricing of a unique game from a very small publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the price was a little high when I bought the game off their website. I still think the price is too high for the expansions.

On the other hand, they're manufacturing the game in small quantities that don't necessarily allow them to take advantage of certain cost-saving measures that companies with larger print sizes can. That, and they're an independent art house publishing their own stuff without a publisher. And it's a fantastic game, way better than it should be given its surface presentation as more an art project than a game. I mean, it has some fine, fine game mechanics and a blinding amount of campaign options compared to other games like it.

I consider the extra $$ to be an Awesome Fee, and a choice made to support independent artists and game designers, and it doesn't bother me as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
If you don't think it is worth it, that is your call, but getting "pissed" over it seems a bit like an over-reaction to pricing of a unique game from a very small publisher.

So i'm not allowed to be upset at preceived price gouging? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:

So i'm not allowed to be upset at preceived price gouging? shake

You are allowed to feel however you want, and I am allowed to feel however I want in response. It feels like an overreaction to me, but that doesn't in any way prevent you from still feeling that way. We are allowed to be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
But again, as a consumer, are you getting added value from that $15 price increase? Naw.

Perhaps they sold the first run too cheaply and the new price is simply a correction, but you certainly can't blame a consumer for seeing a product costs $15 more for no value added.

We’re getting added value in the terms of less risk. We know now that they can produce a game. We didn’t know that the first time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:
But when a company sells a product one year for $55 then marks-up the exact same product by over 25% the next year, then yes, I'm gonna be pissed.

This is nonsense. $70 is what the game has cost ever since the last Kickstarter. It's how much I paid for my copy, and it's been the best $70 I've spent on games in the last few years.

Bitching about people getting it for $55 is bogus. They were gambling; they couldn't be sure what they were going to get. Since then, everyone else has had access to a bunch of detailed reviews and fans happy to answer any question about the game, so there's no risk (or, at least, no excuse) that you'll wind up with something you don't like. That certainty is what you get for the extra $15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke T.
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this thread took on a very negative tone that I should have anticipated but didn’t. It wasn’t my intention to provide the vehicle for potential backers to light up goblinco. I backed this one today and am super happy with the product I will be receiving. To me the art alone is worth the 70 dollar price tag. Yes I do wish there were stretch goals but this is a reprint and it looks like it’s going to deliver quick which is also worth some money in my book.

Cmon people this is going to be an awesome gaming experience! Let’s roll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Turner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we may have been spoiled on Kickstarter as a preorder/bargain machine. In this case, they're trying to fund a second printing with Kickstarter.

Vs. buying it at retail, you save 10% and get a free miniature. When I bought it retail, I paid $80 plus like $20 shipping, and I got excellent service and a great indy board game. With the KS version, you get the game + Lord Scrott for $70, and you save a little on the various expansions and books and stuff, too.

It's not the typical CMON "$200 FOR ALL THE EXCLUSIVE THINGS" Kickstarter, but GOBLINKO isn't CMON.

Relative to the old KS, well, the game hasn't been available for less than $70 since release. As Dave J says, we now have proof that they can make and ship a game, which may be worth $15-20 for some people. They also likely planned poorly for things like Kickstarter taking its cut, taxes, etc., and maybe they're hoping to make a little extra scratch this time, too... you know, since they're a business and want to keep making cool stuff.

You either want to support them making more of this game, or you don't. That's your decision. Anyone who complains about CMON and others using Kickstarter as a preorder device should recognize a small publisher trying to use the platform as it was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

This is nonsense. $70 is what the game has cost ever since the last Kickstarter. It's how much I paid for my copy, and it's been the best $70 I've spent on games in the last few years.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanaaberg/dungeon-dege...

Base game: $55

Base game: $70
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder when this thread will be deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:

Base game: $55

And... ever since then (until the week before last)... it's been $70. I bought mine last November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
SabreRedleg wrote:
I wonder when this thread will be deleted.

I geekmailed Octavian, asking him to delete Kuhrusty’s posts but to leave the rest of the thread intact for posterity.

(Any of Kuhrusty’s posts containing Kickstarter links will be safe, however.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.