GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,437 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Biblios» Forums » General

Subject: How is this game for casual players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier Lam
Singapore
flag msg tools
Im afraid that this game requires too much mental tracking of cards if I want to bring this into my casual group and it becomes a game of "get the dice I want to the highest score and lower everything else"

(Im deciding between this game and archaeology: the new expedition. Archaeology is definitely lighter but it seems more easy to introduce)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is pretty light and has always gone down well with the casual gamers I have taught it to.

There is no real tracking of cards (well at least we don't play it that way) it is one of them games where you just get a gist of who's got what and there is no real worry/calculation about it.

On paper it probably sounds more thinky than it actually is.

Great, fun, light game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro and Inés
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games and Biblios is much more exiting than Archaeology. I like both games but Biblios is better to me. Really easy both games to learn and play but there is more interesting choices in Biblios. Archaeology scales better, Biblios is not that fan with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rexonology wrote:
Im afraid that this game requires too much mental tracking of cards if I want to bring this into my casual group and it becomes a game of "get the dice I want to the highest score and lower everything else"

Well, that is the dominant strategy. How badly one wants to win and how much one wants to think about what he/she is doing is up to the individual. If one doesn't care about winning, or doesn't think about optimum card play, it requires no more mental work than Uno. It's all relative.

I find Biblios very easy to play and teach, and everyone we've taught it to has enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also use Herbaceous or For Sale as a stepping stone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am disgruntled how new or casual players are put in the position of having to choose cards during the initial phase of "dealing" out the cards, yet have no real basis for evaluating the choices. And that selection process takes up "half" the game time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
I am disgruntled how new or casual players are put in the position of having to choose cards during the initial phase of "dealing" out the cards, yet have no real basis for evaluating the choices. And that selection process takes up "half" the game time.

Why do you say they have no real basis for evaluating the choices? The card distribution is listed for the players to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios is readily available. Last I checked, Archaeology was OOP:/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thebrewgeek
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios is amazing. I would definitely bring it out with casual gamers, with that said it takes a few plays to get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
TVis wrote:

Why do you say they have no real basis for evaluating the choices? The card distribution is listed for the players to see.

Why would you think that new or casual players would study that ? Even so, they don't have much basis for what they mean for relative values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't have to study it. Just looking at it tells you that a 2 in this color is a good card while in another color, it is bad. We usually have one person do the math and announce to everyone that if you have x in a color, you've clinched that color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
They don't have to study it. Just looking at it tells you that a 2 in this color is a good card while in another color, it is bad. We usually have one person do the math and announce to everyone that if you have x in a color, you've clinched that color.

I think your example represents a very different category of player from the picture I have of new recruits and casual players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Rodriguez
msg tools
mbmbmb
Very good game for casual players. Esay and fast to teach, understand and start playing but still a lot of strategy and important decisions involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.