GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,706 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: My copy of Gloomhaven from CoolStuffInc came in an interesting condition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy of Gloomhaven from CoolStuffInc yesterday. I worked late last night, so I didn't open it until earlier today. They packaged it in a manner I've not seen before. Instead of foam peanuts, the game was packed with form-fitting styrofoam borders all around the package. Unfortunately, this was not enough to save it from damage. One of the corners is badly smashed. I've already contacted them to ask for a partial refund to cover the damage.

This is not to complain about damaged games, though, so let me make that clear before every reply is, "Wow, CSI is great, I've never had any problems." I know. I love them, too. I've been shopping there for almost ten years. The damage is unfortunate, but what makes this interesting is the rest of the game box.

Specifically, the game is not in shrinkwrap. Instead, the box has circular plastic stickers along all four edges keeping it closed. If you shop at GameStop, you know exactly the ones I'm talking about. They're the kind GameStop uses to seal "gutted" new copies of games. They are also notorious for leaving a horribly sticky residue behind that even Goo Gone and elbow grease have trouble removing.

I am afraid to even try to remove these stickers from the box. I worry that at best, they will leave a sticky residue behind that will take a while to clean off. At worst, they could rip the artwork directly from the box. I've had this problem when peeling these stickers off accessories and consoles I buy at GameStop. There, I wouldn't care, but here, I'd be heavily disappointed if I ended up ripping a 2-inch tear on the artwork surrounding my big new box of Gloomhaven.

I wanted to ask if this is normal. Has anyone else ordered Gloomhaven from CSI, and is this how the shipment arrived? I have never ordered a board game before advertised as new that arrived without shrinkwrap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Morgan
United States
Freedom
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i bought my copy of gloomhaven from a brick and mortar store. They had 4 copies and they all did not have shrink but the clear stickers instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious how was the shipping box? I'm wondering if it's something the delivery people have to cover.

The stickers are really interesting. My FLGS posted a picture of the box and it appears "shiny" like it is shrink wrapped. Like it's reflecting the guys shirt shiny.

Edit: here’s a link to their pic for what it’s worth.

https://instagram.com/p/BkOROyQg2fc/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy from Kickstarter just had clear seals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how the box was shipped from the manufacturer. My guess is they just put a new address on the box they received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
crogstad wrote:
That is how the box was shipped from the manufacturer. My guess is they just put a new address on the box they received.

They also save on shrink wrap.

As for the shipping method, I assume that the mass of the game itself was just too much for the foam supports - the density and sizing of the foam is not strong enough to prevent the game from shifting.

I think that CSI would appreciate knowing about this fact, as it will save them a lot of returns and refunds. A few extra pennies on better foam vs multidollar refunds and rightfully frustrated customers is a no brainer.

If this is how they receive the item from the distributor/publisher, they could modify the internal padding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my copy from 401 games in Canada also came with the stick circles but they removed almost perfectly and I just rubbed off the little bit that was left over. I find with stickers like that it really depends how long they have been stuck to the product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much experience with these particular stickers or whatever adhesive they use, but when I worked at a bookstore we had a blowdryer for removing price tags. Heat' em up a little and they came right off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ransom

Iowa City
Iowa
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s exactly how all of the kickstarter copies were packaged. Minus the damage.
The game wasn’t shrinkwrapped, either to save on costs or because the box is so huge. I can’t remember the exact reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine came with the stickers as well. I think I just cut them with a boxcutter rather than trying to peel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattransom wrote:
That’s exactly how all of the kickstarter copies were packaged. Minus the damage.
The game wasn’t shrinkwrapped, either to save on costs or because the box is so huge. I can’t remember the exact reason.

Probably both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
I've had other games "sealed" with these stickers (I seem to remember a couple of Target exclusives--I think The Wizard Always Wins and How to Rob a Bank) and the stickers came off quite nicely. I think they've probably perfected the adhesive now so that it holds without tearing/damaging/leaving stickies behind. I'd peel without fear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdaly72 wrote:
I've had other games "sealed" with these stickers (I seem to remember a couple of Target exclusives--I think The Wizard Always Wins and How to Rob a Bank) and the stickers came off quite nicely. I think they've probably perfected the adhesive now so that it holds without tearing/damaging/leaving stickies behind. I'd peel without fear!

My only problem with this type of sticker is when you buy from a place that puts their own price stickers on the games - because those are most often quite difficult to get off cleanly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is what the damage looks like. CoolStuffInc offered me a $27 gift card as compensation for the damage. Would you accept it? I'm thinking of asking for a little more. Pretend you were in the market to buy a copy of this on the BGG Marketplace in "Acceptable" condition. Would you pay $113 for a copy in this condition? If not, please tell me what discount you would accept and I will request that amount from CSI. After all, parts inside the box could be damaged for all I know. It's not the worst corner ding in the world, but if there were any cards/mapboards up against that corner they're likely smashed as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:

This is what the damage looks like. CoolStuffInc offered me a $27 gift card as compensation for the damage. Would you accept it? I'm thinking of asking for a little more. Pretend you were in the market to buy a copy of this on the BGG Marketplace in "Acceptable" condition. Would you pay $113 for a copy in this condition? If not, please tell me what discount you would accept and I will request that amount from CSI. After all, parts inside the box could be damaged for all I know. It's not the worst corner ding in the world, but if there were any cards/mapboards up against that corner they're likely smashed as well.

That's not "acceptable" condition. That's definitely better than "acceptable". Whether $23 discount is sufficient for a "ding and dent" copy of the game is another story. I would say probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven does not have shrinkwrap by default. I believe Isaac has said this was due to the dimensions of the box itself. The size of the box is also probably why it was packed the way it was. I would bet that that is the shipping box they received it in.

The four circle stickers ("tabs" is the industry term) come off pretty easily. I don't believe I damaged my copy.

I was excited to find a physical copy at a local store a ways back. With the size of that thing, I felt better just knowing what I was getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
North Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how my copy came from miniature market. All of the games were shipped from China in individual boxes with the foam insert so that they could be easily shipped out by retailers and because of the weight/size of the game. Shipping them this way from China reduced damage. As far as the stickers, I was told that the size/ weight of the game ruled out shrink as an option.
At least this is what was explained to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Ruiz
msg tools
spikemike01 wrote:
This is how my copy came from miniature market. All of the games were shipped from China in individual boxes with the foam insert so that they could be easily shipped out by retailers and because of the weight/size of the game. Shipping them this way from China reduced damage. As far as the stickers, I was told that the size/ weight of the game ruled out shrink as an option.
At least this is what was explained to me.

Yes all games come this way. It sucks yours got damaged but CSI shipped this the way it was intended to be shipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think $27 is more than reasonable for that damage. If you don't agree, you could ask for an exchange instead.

Regarding the stickers, that's really lazy and cheap. Having worked in the packaging industry, I can assure you that boxes larger than that can be shrink wrapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be happy with that final price and that damage but I also wouldn't have been paying full price from csi.

Don't they have shipping insurance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
I wouldn't be happy with that final price and that damage but I also wouldn't have been paying full price from csi.

I’m sure they don’t when you use the free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

They've used priority mail for me before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

They've used priority mail for me before.

For something small? Sure. And that’s limited to $50 insured without paying extra. They are going to use the cheapest method possible with their free shipping, which is definitely not going to include insurance on something the size and weight of Gloomhaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael Corns
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music and Cocoa calm my spirit.
mbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
[q="crogstad"]That is how the box was shipped from the manufacturer. My guess is they just put a new address on the box they received.

When I received my Kickstarter copy, it had 4 stickers and was packed with foam (not peanuts), so I can agree this was probably from the manufaturer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Briggs

LYNNWOOD
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmb
The games came to the stores boxed as you described, I know when we sold our copies of the game we just changed the shipping labels and did not open though figured there was no damage since i never heard a complaint. The downside of free shipping, something happens and the retailer gets dinged and I know its not the buyers fault either. Offering a discount card is a nice gesture, and although you may not be pleased with their offer, consider all the discounted games you have purchased from them in the past and the savings you have made. With margins on games as slim as they are, normally one would be losing money to satisfy the customer. And again, your situation is not your fault, it is a packing (not done by CSI) or a shipping problem with the shipper.
Finding that balance between discount pricing and free shipping becomes the challenge of retail and the potential damage to products that travel through the shipping companies figured into pricing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.