GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Cataclysm: A Second World War» Forums » General

Subject: Best first scenario...for three players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have three players willing to tackle Cataclysm. I was expecting there to be a ETO 3 player scenario, something like Triumph & Tragedy - but looks like the shorter scenarios are all 2 player.

Say we have 3 players and ~4h, would you recommend Hitler's War as the best intro scenario? Or would it be best to use a 2p scenario and adapt it for 3 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ananda Gupta
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely not adapt a 2 to a 3 player scenario. I think Hitler's War is the right call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin McCane
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Days of Decision plays just fine with 3 players. I’ve done it before and we had a blast. You lose a lot of the political aspects of the game with Hitler’s War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
dm1985 wrote:
Days of Decision plays just fine with 3 players. I’ve done it before and we had a blast. You lose a lot of the political aspects of the game with Hitler’s War.

I concur, the game shines as the teeth of the cogs gear up to war. It is like an inevitable crescendo.

Days of Decision may work as a three player game, but I wouldn’t know what the best distribution could be, with the third player taking Italy or France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they split UK and FR.

Since the game ends when/if France collapses/surrenders, it works fine that way.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add, I did an intro 3-player game with Hitler's War and it wasn't the best (especially if you only have 4 hours).

By the time things started to get interesting for the Soviet player, we had run out of time (though we had less than 4 hours ... maybe 2.5 to teach, set-up + learn the game for the other two ... but they also had the developer teaching them the game :-> ).

For an 'intro to learn the system', I think a 3p Days of Decision is actually a great idea.

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m taking the ‘teach by doing’ approach: if I explain all the game to the players I end up confusing them and tiring them out. As we play I introduce new concepts, so we dive right in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dm1985 wrote:

I also concur. Days of Decision is great to teach the game with because you get a decent turn or so of peaceful buildup followed by the outbreak and then prosecution of the war. The players get to experience almost every mechanic in the game in this scenario (bases and naval combat take a back seat, but that's about it).

I also agree with splitting up the UK and France to achieve this. Have player most comfortable with the rules take on the Fascists and the other two take the allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice, I think, to have a scenario start as Days of Decision and with Russia as a player. I understand that would lengthen the game, but it could be an interesting addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin McCane
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Bridger wrote:
dm1985 wrote:

I also concur. Days of Decision is great to teach the game with because you get a decent turn or so of peaceful buildup followed by the outbreak and then prosecution of the war. The players get to experience almost every mechanic in the game in this scenario (bases and naval combat take a back seat, but that's about it).

I also agree with splitting up the UK and France to achieve this. Have player most comfortable with the rules take on the Fascists and the other two take the allies.

That’s precisely how we played it. I took the Fascists and UK/France we’re split between the other two. I nearly had France/UK push Germany out of France if it wasn’t for one terrible die roll that swung the game back in my favor, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hate to line up against Ananda on this one but I agree that playing Days of Decision with the UK and France as separate players is a great learning game for three players. You just can't be concerned about being competitive until everyone has some idea what they're doing. Fortunately (IMO) the game is still fun when you don't quite know how to accomplish anything.

Gorgoneion wrote:
It would be nice, I think, to have a scenario start as Days of Decision and with Russia as a player. I understand that would lengthen the game, but it could be an interesting addition.

What it sounds like you're suggesting is a short scenario starting in 1937 where Germany decides to go east or west and the third side just watches; that's a non-starter in my opinion.

What I think you're really asking for is an ETO-only scenario that starts in 1937 and plays out to the end. That's obviously a lot longer than Days of Decision but could be interesting. My counter would be, why not just start in 1933, which adds maybe 30 minutes to the game for experienced players?

But trust me, we're listening to this feedback and we plan to develop more scenarios for release as downloads or (if new counters are necessary) magazine add-ons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:

Gorgoneion wrote:

What I think you're really asking for is an ETO-only scenario that starts in 1937 and plays out to the end. That's obviously a lot longer Days of Decision but could be interesting. My counter would be, why not just start in 1933, which adds maybe 30 minutes to the game for experienced players?

But trust me, we're listening to this feedback and we plan to develop more scenarios for release as downloads or (if new counters are necessary) magazine add-ons.

Yes that is what I was looking for, I didn’t explain myself correctly.

As for new scenarios, here! Take my money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.