GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Sakura Arms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Range Increase / Decrease Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emiel Schaap
msg tools
What happens when an attack with only one allowable distance (e.g. range 3 only) has its range increased or decreased by 1 (close & distant). The rule book has one example of this but it actually confused me more. It would have me believe that if you decreased the range on something like this, it would lose all range and therefore cancel the attack. Is this true? What if you were already at range 0? And what happens if you increase the range instead?

If anyone could shed some light on the matter, that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that range can increase or decrease, and this increase/decrease can be close or distant.

In your example of Range 3, you have four possibilities:

Increase Close - Range becomes 2-3
Increase Distant - Range becomes 3-4
Decrease Close - Attack is invalid (As seen in example 4)
Decrease Distant - Attack is invalid

For any other attack in range X-Y:
Increase Close - Range becomes (X-1) to Y
Increase Distant - Range becomes X to (Y+1)
Decrease Close - Range becomes (X+1) to Y (Invalid if X=Y)
Decrease Distant - Range becomes X to (Y-1) (Invalid if X=Y)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiel Schaap
msg tools
So the attack just gets canceled if the range decreases in any way... I guess I can deal with that. Still doesn't make much sense to me but that is what the rulebook would have me believe as well. Thanks for the clarification.

However in your example where range X-Y gets decreased such that X=Y, example 3 in the rulebook says that the range becomes just X. Not that it becomes invalid. Is this true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the second example, X=Y was before the range was reduced, so it's essentially the same as the first example where reducing from a single range invalidates the attack.

I probably shouldn't have added that because it just made things more confusing.

But yes, if your range gets reduced to a A-B where A=B, your range is just A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiel Schaap
msg tools
It all makes sense now. Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
memetichazard wrote:

Increase Close - Range becomes 2-3
Increase Distant - Range becomes 3-4
Decrease Close - Attack is invalid (As seen in example 4)
Decrease Distant - Attack is invalid

For any other attack in range X-Y:
Increase Close - Range becomes (X-1) to Y
Increase Distant - Range becomes X to (Y+1)
Decrease Close - Range becomes (X+1) to Y (Invalid if X=Y)
Decrease Distant - Range becomes X to (Y-1) (Invalid if X=Y)

I'm looking at this and trying to find any common sense that could be applied to it.

I understand that each Range consists of two values in fact - X-Y (Close-Distant). If X=Y, then range is presented as one value (say, X).

Why "increase" to X (Close) means actually decreasing the number and "decrease" means actually increasing? This is so weird and hard to internalize.

Also, why exactly is attack invalid if there is a decrease to X or Y (Close/Distant) when X=Y? Is it be cause one value "crosses the threshold" rendering the range invalid (as Close must be <= Distant)? I.e. If X=Y=3, the range is 3-3 (3). Decrease to Close would actually increase the first number, making it 4-3 (invalid). Decrease to Distant would normally decrease the value, making it 3-2 (invalid). Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.