GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,367 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Picking up Saturday. How do I sort all the bits. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steph Gelder
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Picking my copy up Saturday, have paid so.... what’s the best way of sorting all the bits’ just cheap plastic boxes or is an organiser really worth it and helps set the game up a lot quicker when I want to play, going to be 1 or 2 player at home.

Also anything else I need to buy to help make the game repeatable?

Thanks

Steph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one of those laser-cut wooden organizers and I love it. It's expensive, but if you have the money, worth it.

If you don't have the money but you have the time, there are several DIY solutions out there.

You're going to want some sort of organizational setup beyond just what comes in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sajuro
United States
yucaipa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Hi
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the money to spare.

The broken token organizer
https://www.amazon.com/Broken-Token-Organizer-Gloomhaven/dp/...

helped me saved a lot of time.
It also helped organize everything.

Do keep it mind it will take some hours to build the organizer and sort everything for Gloomhaven but worth it in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmb
booktrunk wrote:
Picking my copy up Saturday, have paid so.... what’s the best way of sorting all the bits’ just cheap plastic boxes or is an organiser really worth it and helps set the game up a lot quicker when I want to play, going to be 1 or 2 player at home.

Also anything else I need to buy to help make the game repeatable?

Thanks

Steph

There are loads of threads about this on the forum, ranging from those that are designed specifically for the game and cost £50-£70, to bag-only methods and plano boxes.

See these for starters:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2012766/storing-everything-...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1963340/storage-solution-us...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2009295/best-gloomhaven-ins...

As to whether it's worth it, opinions will divide. I fit everything in the box with three plano boxes (£5 each approx.), some coin-bags (free from your bank) and some elastic bands. That works fine for me.

For replayability, you can get the 'removable stickers' by Sinister Fish for around a tenner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Gelder
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, any idea if the broken token one fits 3rd edition I am assuming it’s pretty much identical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hall
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the Broken Token one and its brilliant but very expensive. If I was buying now I'd take a serious look at Folded Space https://www.foldedspace.net/store/gloomhaven/
I have their Terraforming Mars Insert and it is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doc
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
as i say anytime this comes up, i would recommend playing several sessions before investing in anything (or at the very least, punching out and looking at all the components first).

some people insist the game is effectively unplayable without a third party organizer, others like myself have been using plastic bags for hundreds of sessions and they work more than fine.

saving setup time is much, much less about the specific type of organizer your buy (or build) and more about sorting things with a system that is logical to you. seriously, punch everything out and look at it all first before spending money on anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Gelder
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Lots of help, thanks for the sensible comments.

1: I’ve ended up going for 2,000 sleeves!!
2: The reusable(ish) stickers.
3: Insert doc made sensible comments about waiting, but I want it booked from when I first start playing and tbh I want it to try to organise. Self as I am. Hopeless at being organised, so after 2 hours hunting around I went for...... basically wooden, http://www.basicallywooden.co.uk/game-box-organisers/gloomha... MDF and £65 inc. delivery. If I had spotted the FOldedspace one earlier I might have ended up with that one.
4: i’ll Open the box and peek in and maybe sleeve all the cards, and start reading the instructions Saturday and wait for the insert to come before popping everything out.

it’s going to be all two player or even single player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we moved to Broken Token, I had organized the tile overlays into seven baggiess, and I've uploaded the labels for each bag here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/165313/tile-overlay-o...

Also, the monster standees went into a large plano box, about the width and length of the Gloomhaven box.

Finally, you'll need to organize the tokens et al, and they can be done in a few baggies as well.

OVER organizing, with TOO MANY baggies can be as bad to sift thru as too few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Gelder
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Gerry. Think it will take hours to sort the game out initially

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booktrunk wrote:

surprisewow

That's a lot of sleeves.

Personally, I wouldn't sleeve anything except the players' ability cards and maybe the monster cards and attack modifier cards. I don't see the need to have a sleeve on all the shop items or the event cards, for example.

I'm playing at a friend's house with his copy, and one day I've decided to sleeve my Mindthief's ability cards, since they started to become greasy. My friend didn't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander D
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
booktrunk wrote:

Depends on how OCD you are with sorting and storing

We prepared for the first game night by reading the rulebook and choosing our characters in advance.
Then, we just opened the box and punched everything out. We started right away with the first scenario. Afterwards, we stored everything in envelopes, boxes and bags. For example, we store all monsters we haven't yet encountered together, and only take those we need for the next scenario. The ones we've already encountered we store in envelopes - the deck, standees, stats card of each monster in one labeled envelope. So eventually, all monsters will be stored alphabetically in envelopes, but we don't have the work to do so all at once.
All the tokens and cardboards pieces are in small boxes. Recently I have added a cards folder for the item cards.

It's really not such a big deal if you're not looking for the perfect elegant solution, just a quick one. You can keep improving on the storage solution while already playing the game.
Don't let the amount of content deter you from enjoying the game, the purpose is, after all, FUN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Christensen
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
DukeOfEarl wrote:
booktrunk wrote:

surprisewow

That's a lot of sleeves.

Personally, I wouldn't sleeve anything except the players' ability cards and maybe the monster cards and attack modifier cards. I don't see the need to have a sleeve on all the shop items or the event cards, for example.

I'm playing at a friend's house with his copy, and one day I've decided to sleeve my Mindthief's ability cards, since they started to become greasy. My friend didn't mind.

Yeah, I just ordered 100 sleeves as so far I feel the only ones that I have trouble picking up and the ones I use mostly are the ability cards. so I will sleeve those for now. I was going to go for the 2000 sleeves but I son't think I need to sleeve the smaller modifier cards. Maybe I will get those for just the monster and hero attack modifier cards, but that would be it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I really recommend NOT sleeving everything you see. I also recommend NOT opening all the internal boxes so that you can sleeve everything.

I do recommend sleeving the cards you will be using. Then sleeve as you go.

I think you should sleeve some then play a couple games then make up your own mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kryptonite V wrote:
booktrunk wrote:

Depends on how OCD you are with sorting and storing

We prepared for the first game night by reading the rulebook and choosing our characters in advance.
Then, we just opened the box and punched everything out. We started right away with the first scenario. Afterwards, we stored everything in envelopes, boxes and bags. For example, we store all monsters we haven't yet encountered together, and only take those we need for the next scenario. The ones we've already encountered we store in envelopes - the deck, standees, stats card of each monster in one labeled envelope. So eventually, all monsters will be stored alphabetically in envelopes, but we don't have the work to do so all at once.
All the tokens and cardboards pieces are in small boxes. Recently I have added a cards folder for the item cards.

It's really not such a big deal if you're not looking for the perfect elegant solution, just a quick one. You can keep improving on the storage solution while already playing the game.
Don't let the amount of content deter you from enjoying the game, the purpose is, after all, FUN

That bit us in the @$$ after a few game plays. We didn't know enough about which bits should/could be organized together. So all the single hex tiles were together, all the double, and so on. That made finding things by game 4 or 5 difficult, plus we were asking ourselves "is this the trap? Is this it? Is this the bush, or brambles?" etc.

You way is organic, and works great the first few games. It's EXACTLY what we did. But eventually you start trying to figure out "what can go with what" in order to have less than 50 baggies of parts. And we were losing 45 minutes sorting thru baggies for set up, and then just going, "well tonight, it's the red coals one". My lists in the file section helps you jump straight to that. Though I guess it would have helped had I put images in the file for first time owners and players who might not recognize the tile by name only. Version 2 I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing I'd sleeve is the attack modifier decks - they're used in every game and get a lot of shuffling. Ability cards probably see more handling during a game, but with 17 character classes, a given class will be played, on average, in less than a quarter of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparky Sparks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I use a cantilever parts organizer that has removable cups instead of partitions. It was $40, but it holds everything I need to set up a map, save the map tiles and enemy sheets. Parts organizers are wonderful at holding bits for any game, even if you don't go for the more expensive options.

I put the map tiles into a cheap accordion binder. Very handy so you can look up the tiles by letter instead of by shape.

and finally, i got a slightly bigger tote box to carry all this stuff in. I have a lot of totes lying around.

With all these bits, plus the game box itself, I've been able to switch maps and set up with relative ease, even with just 2 players. There's also several Gloomhaven apps on the Google Play Store which can help eliminate hassle. I use Gloomhaven Monster AI instead of the monster AI decks and Monster damage deck, and that further speeds up setup.

Links if you're interested:
https://www.amazon.com/AMERICA-17186819-18-Inch-Cantilever-O...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsill-DUO-2-in-1-Organizer-1-In...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gloom.moni...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparking wrote:
I put the map tiles into a cheap accordion binder. Very handy so you can look up the tiles by letter instead of by shape.

Frakkin' BRILLIANT!!! I might get one for our Broken Token organizer! (
The Map Tiles are the slowest, and most cumbersome issue with the organizer)

Have a Microbadge on me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.