GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Oh My Goods!» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game easy to introduce to non gamers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier Lam
Singapore
flag msg tools
I have port royal as I want to introduce this to my non gamers group.

How does this game go down with more casual gamers? And does it really end within 30 minutes haha?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christi K
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is that I introduced it to my non-gaming husband and our first game lasted a blasted four hours of torture. He was not willing to listen to anything I tried to teach him. He had to learn it on his own. It was painful for both of us. AP prone to an extreme. Needless to say, we haven’t played again.

This is an extreme case that is NOT normal. But just sharing cuz I think it’s funny now. I love the game but I’ll stick to playing it with my gaming friends or as solo.

Play a few founds showing each other your cards and help them along the way. It really isn’t all that hard to catch on if you’re willing to listen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Lam
Singapore
flag msg tools
Haha oh man that sounds like a memorable experience XD

Yea I'm afraid of getting the game as it seems like I may need to get the expansion for it to be fun, but that would mean that I would have to spend about 35USD and I'm not confident I can get enough players on board haha...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, but I would never try to introduce it to non-gamers. Way too complex for that. I've had a little difficulty teaching it to people in my game group.

30 minutes is a little on the short side, but if you've played the game before I think 45 minutes is a realistic goal for this.

And you certainly do NOT need the expansions to make it fun. The base game is great by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not all that complex, but it is fairly difficult to explain. I wouldn't push it on a non-gamer (or casual gamer), but if they were interested and motivated to try to learn it, and had played at least a couple other modern boardgames, I would give it a shot.

Having played Port Royal first would help a bit. Both games have a tableau, and in both games a bunch of cards get flipped to the center, and then everyone gets a turn. For someone who has never played a modern game, or has only played unrelated games like TtR and Carcassonne, you would have to teach those concepts in addition to everything else going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I give a solid explanation of the chains and how they work to create more coins. That seems to be the hardest part to explain. Apart from that, it's not the beefiest game. Just a lot of concepts to explain up front and most non-gamers hit a wall once to get into 3-4 new things at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's a massive step up from Port Royal and I imagine would be quite hard to teach to non-gamers. There are better options out there I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Laumen
Netherlands
Sittard
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recently acquired this game and my girlfriend and me really enjoy playing this as a lighter alternative to heavier resource management or worker placement games like Agricola. I don't think I'd ever try to introduce this to someone not at least a little bit familiar with those types of games.

In other words, I think this is a smaller and lighter game for experienced players to scale "down" to. Not a smaller and lighter game to use as a stepping stone to heavier resource management games.

Although more complex, and especially a lot more punishing, I think a game like the aforementioned Agricola is probably a more intuitive teach (not necessarily easier or shorter though ) than this is. The pieces, the choices and the rules make more thematic sense. I also have a hard time explaining the multiple purposes of cards to people.

I haven't played Port Royal yet, but that looks like an easier game to teach to people and might be a good stepping stone to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dennislaumen wrote:

Although more complex, and especially a lot more punishing, I think a game like the aforementioned Agricola is probably a more intuitive teach (not necessarily easier or shorter though ) than this is. The pieces, the choices and the rules make more thematic sense. I also have a hard time explaining the multiple purposes of cards to people.

I agree, I'd much rather (and have done so) teach Agriocla to a non-gamer rather than Oh My Goods.

For such a small card game it manages to pack quite a lot of non-intuitive complexity in - though not as difficult to learn as Race for the Galaxy .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it’s ‘just a bunch of cards’ I think it will be hard to explain to non gamers. The expectation will be that it can’t be a difficult game if it’s just a stack of cards, but there are some difficult things to get used to if you’re not familiar with them, like the use of cards in three different ways. And then there’s the chain building.
I guess first playing a couple of games of Bohnanza would be a good step in between. Or San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gambier
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and elder daughter, not particularly hardcore gamers, both picked it up quickly and loved it. The challenge is that it takes quite a long time. We don't particularly dawdle while we play, but we reckon we need 60 minutes plus to get through a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it's not mechanically similar, Tybor the Builder might be another game to look at. Same designer and artist and a nice mid-point between Port Royal and Oh My Goods, complexity wise. Super fun too, BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Laumen
Netherlands
Sittard
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
teacherboy wrote:
Although it's not mechanically similar, Tybor the Builder might be another game to look at. Same designer and artist and a nice mid-point between Port Royal and Oh My Goods, complexity wise. Super fun too, BTW.

I don't want to hijack this thread too much but...

Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Care to elaborate on Tybor der Baumeister? I've never heard of it but it looks interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennislaumen wrote:
teacherboy wrote:

Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Care to elaborate on Tybor der Baumeister? I've never heard of it but it looks interesting...

Same designer, same "universe" as OMG. Two decks of cards: one deck of people and one deck of buildings. Buildings are worth points and some have special abilities. People can be assigned as citizens or workers.

Workers count basically as money and you spend them to build buildings. Each building has two costs, a low and a high. You can spend less and build low quality, but if you spend more and build high, it's worth more points.

Citizens have special items that are used to score bonus points at the end. They're usually scored for numbers of the same icon played, like if you have 4 sword icons, it's worth 8 points. Some also have a color marked on the side that denotes discounts on building. For each colored block you have on all of your citizens, you discount 1 worker point off of a building of the matching color.

Game is played over 4 rounds. Each game uses one random goal card that tracks the building costs for the round (which get more expensive as the game progresses), but each card also has a unique scoring condition. Most points at the end of the game wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
dennislaumen wrote:
teacherboy wrote:

Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Same designer, same "universe" as OMG. Two decks of cards: one deck of people and one deck of buildings. Buildings are worth points and some have special abilities. People can be assigned as citizens or workers.

Workers count basically as money and you spend them to build buildings. Each building has two costs, a low and a high. You can spend less and build low quality, but if you spend more and build high, it's worth more points.

Citizens have special items that are used to score bonus points at the end. They're usually scored for numbers of the same icon played, like if you have 4 sword icons, it's worth 8 points. Some also have a color marked on the side that denotes discounts on building. For each colored block you have on all of your citizens, you discount 1 worker point off of a building of the matching color.

Game is played over 4 rounds. Each game uses one random goal card that tracks the building costs for the round (which get more expensive as the game progresses), but each card also has a unique scoring condition. Most points at the end of the game wins.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've only had the chance to play it once, but everyone in my group really liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.