GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Splendor» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taking 3 chips when there only two left rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Dukai
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
I noticed this while watching a video about Splendor on the app.

There were only two gem tokens left, let's say one green and one blue. The player proceeded to take the two chips and pass.

How is that even a legal move, when you have to take 3 chips?

EDIT: Quoting the rules here

- Take 3 gem tokens of different colors.

Nowhere does it say up to 3 gem tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farnan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't recall where it's stated, but you can definitely take less, but ONLY if there are not 3 available.
Always played it this way with friends and I assumed that the app allows it meant we were right to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
HowitzerBug wrote:
I don't recall where it's stated, but you can definitely take less, but ONLY if there are not 3 available.
Always played it this way with friends and I assumed that the app allows it meant we were right to do so.

Could it be a bug in the app?

Is there an FAQ for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the next paragraph, it says, that if you can't take three chips, then you're allowed to take less (as many as you can).

So: If you can take three chips, you have to. Can't take less. If there are not enough chips, you take as many as you can.

(Edit: Can't quote the rules since I own the german version)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
Sp1r0u wrote:
If you read the next paragraph, it says, that if you can't take three chips, then you're allowed to take less (as many as you can).

I can't see that in the English version at all. What are you talking about?

EDIT: The only thing I could find is this link

http://www.spacecowboys.fr/faq

I cannot take three tokens. And the two remaining stacks are less than four tokens high. Can I take tokens anyway ?

The action "take three different tokens" allows you to pick only two different tokens, or even one.

So I would say that the wording should be changed to: you may take up to three gem chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danieldukai wrote:
So I would say that the wording should be changed to: you may take up to three gem chips.

Note that this proposed wording would not be equivalent to the intended interpretation; this proposed wording would permit you to take fewer than 3 even when it's possible for you to take 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
danieldukai wrote:

Note that this proposed wording would not be equivalent to the intended interpretation; this proposed wording would permit you to take fewer than 3 even when it's possible for you to take 3.

Well, ok. But then there should be at least a foot note for this very rare occasion where you can take only two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danieldukai wrote:
Well, ok. But then there should be at least a foot note for this very rare occasion where you can take only two.

Agreed; interesting that the German rules apparently have such a statement (according to Timo's comment), but the English rules left it out. Perhaps something got lost in translation, or lost (or not added) during editing/revision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would note that the rules are very clear about taking two of the same color token.

Quote:
This action is only possible if there are at least 4 tokens of the
chosen color left when the player takes them.

However, there's no special footnote about the taking three different gems rule. Since there was nothing like "This action is only possible if there are at least three differently colored tokens available when the player takes them," following the rule, my belief is the designer intends for players to be able to take just one or two tokens if that is all the colors of tokens that are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that at least one version of the English rules specifies what to do. Mine has under Game Rules, after the list of four actions:

Splendor Rulebook wrote:
Selecting tokens
If there is not enough tokens available to take three of different colors, you may take two tokens (or even one).

It then goes on to explain that you can never have more than 10 tokens, and reminds you about not taking two of the same color if there are fewer than four left.

EDIT: It should be noted that mine is the edition that also changed the setup instructions so that "Don't touch the gold" (for fewer players) was changed to "No change for gold tokens," presumably because of ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules also have this rule...take two or one if more are not available.

Pete (was not an early adopter and supposes maybe they changed it at some point)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danieldukai wrote:

http://www.spacecowboys.fr/faq

I cannot take three tokens. And the two remaining stacks are less than four tokens high. Can I take tokens anyway ?

The action "take three different tokens" allows you to pick only two different tokens, or even one.

Note that the wording implies that if there was only a stack of 4 green and a stack 2 red that you may not take a red and green. The iOS app also enforces this restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.