Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seems REAL similar to Clash of the Lightsabers, except that the players don't have identical decks. Can anyone who's played both games suggest what might make Blue Moon a good buy if I already own Clash of the Lightsabers? Sure, it's not exactly the same game, but I'm not convinced that it's worth shelling out that much money for something that seems like only a slight variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:Clash of the Blue Moon?
Trump (#34428),

Having played both I can say that it is a completely different game. Much finer tuned and much greater opportunity for planning future plays. In fact, one of the core elements is doing just that. Unless a game ends with the instant victory condition, one of the players has to play/discard all of his cards for the game to conclude. Timing your hand to do that without giving up extra dragons at the end in the process is no small matter.

In short, I'm looking to unload my copy of Clash of the Lightsabers. On the other hand, I fully intend to buy the future expansions for Blue Moon.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
Trump (#34428),yes the comparisons are immediately noticeable, clash was a very good game when played with the variants that are around. blue moon also seems to have borrowed from obviuosly Magic the Gathering CCG, and also from A Game of Thrones CCG in the picking of fire or earth to battle in, in a Game Of thrones you could attack in 1 of 3 areas, the leadership cards remind me vaguely of the plot cards in A Games of Thrones. Overall i wouldnt get rid of Clash of the Lightsabers as it is easier to play with the casual gamer whereas (and this is a good thing) Blue Moon needs to be played more frequently to excel and offers more replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

blue moon also seems to have borrowed from obviuosly Magic the Gathering CCG

I suspect Reiner is not aware of the fine details of MtG, he's not noted for studying other people's games. I know of at least one significant detail in MtG he was unaware was in that game earlier this year. But of course nothing can be completely in isolation from such a major phenomenon.

and also from A Game of Thrones CCG in the picking of fire or earth to battle in, in a Game Of thrones you could attack in 1 of 3 areas, the leadership cards remind me vaguely of the plot cards in A Games of Thrones.

I strongly suspect these are coincidences of parallel design. If you want a precursor, look at Reiner's own game Ivanhoe and its predecessor (whose name esacpes me at the moment). But whether even that was consciously in Reiner's mind I've no idea. When was the GoT CCG released? - Blue Moon was already almost fully designed in 2001 when I first saw it, and I'd be even more surprised if Reiner had looked at the GoT game. But I have no first hand knowledge of the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like in Blue Moon is also that it looks like some Magic-like game, but if you use your Magic habits you won't go too far, very destabilizing...
":^)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d peruzzini
United States
cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
Dearlove (#37411),i didnt necessarily mean that he copied from those games just that it reminded me of, and perhaps had an influence (the card art especially), my wording should be better maybe, i think game before ivanhoe was called attack, another game we played a lot of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like in Blue Moon is also that it looks like some Magic-like game, but if you use your Magic habits you won't go too far

There are some principles that carry over. I find the concept of card advantage (popular in Magic) still useful in Blue Moon. (It actually inspired me to create a particular deck which was largely responsible for a rule change to prevent it.) The principles of land/nonland balance in Magic turn up as character/noncharacter balance in Blue Moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cezary Cezary
Poland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools

The principles of land/nonland balance in Magic turn up as character/noncharacter balance in Blue Moon.

Not exactly - in magic you draw only one card per turn, here you refresh your hand to six cards. If you are low on characters you can always play some leadership/support without fully utilizing their powers just to draw more cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perriam
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cezariusz (#37561),

yeah there are definitely times when 'discarding' cards by actually playing them is a useful tactic !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Kheldar (#37600),

A common example of this is an anti-support Leader or Booster/Support card when playing against the Flit. They have no Support cards to counter, but it is likely that to end the game you will have to play or discard that card sometime (in my experience the Flit deck hangs around longer due to all their retrievables) therefore it benefits a player to find a time to play such a card to simply open up the spot in the hand for something that can actually be used and to get rid of a card that will need to be played/discarded eventually anyway before game's end.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The principles of land/nonland balance in Magic turn up as character/noncharacter balance in Blue Moon.

Not exactly - in magic you draw only one card per turn, here you refresh your hand to six cards. If you are low on characters you can always play some leadership/support without fully utilizing their powers just to draw more cards

I was thinking more of deck design than play. In both cases you can increase power by thinning out your land or characters (the poor ones obviously) but if you take it too far you can get badly hurt. Agreed in Blue Moon you can play to further reduce your chances (and use other deck design tricks - FREE cards are useful here) but there is a definite similarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.