GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,109 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Tang Garden» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ Carruthers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Buy a Decoration:

While this does tell you to draw several cards based on how many tiles are hidden, it doesn't explain what is to be done with the cards that aren't selected. Do you create a discard pile for this or just reshuffle the cards back into the deck?

Also what happens if you draw a number of cards and none of them are place-able? Do you just not place anything which seems slightly unfair as you've effectively wasted your turn. Or do you redraw a new set and discard the current cards? Do you take the card and the cardboard token but can only place when you next buy a decoration or when an available slot presents itself.

Also why do the rules suggest that there are more cards available for each item than there are cardboard items for them? Since either there should be an increased number of cardboard tokens or equal number of cards. As it serves little purpose to do this other than to limit the options available for later players. Unless the excess cards are discarded in which case it makes sense.

First Player Token:
Does this change hands at all throughout the game or is it given to someone and remains with them throughout? It feels like either it should move round the table or there should be a mechanic for players to take the first player token for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Fabricator wrote:
Buy a Decoration:

While this does tell you to draw several cards based on how many tiles are hidden, it doesn't explain what is to be done with the cards that aren't selected. Do you create a discard pile for this or just reshuffle the cards back into the deck?

You create a discard pile (Page 7: "Cards not chosen are discarded face up near the deck of decoration cards.")

Fabricator wrote:
Buy a Decoration:
Also what happens if you draw a number of cards and none of them are place-able? Do you just not place anything which seems slightly unfair as you've effectively wasted your turn. Or do you redraw a new set and discard the current cards? Do you take the card and the cardboard token but can only place when you next buy a decoration or when an available slot presents itself.

That's a good question... You aren't allowed to draw decorations if there aren't any available spaces, and you can't select a decoration card if there isn't a matching space, but it doesn't cover the possibility that you could wind up drawing ONLY cards that don't have matching spaces.

I haven't tinkered with the game enough to determine how likely this to occur, but without an official ruling I would discard the cards and place a garden tile. Basically, just a variant of the 'no matching spaces' clause for buying the decoration to begin with.

Fabricator wrote:
Buy a Decoration:

First Player Token:
Does this change hands at all throughout the game or is it given to someone and remains with them throughout? It feels like either it should move round the table or there should be a mechanic for players to take the first player token for themselves.

It remains with the same player. It's only purpose is to ensure that everyone has the same numbers of turns (see the last paragraph on page 10 of the rulebook under "End of Game").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an expert on the rules, but here's my understanding:

Fabricator wrote:
Buy a Decoration:

It does say that you discard the cards you don't select in to a discard pile next to the decoration card pile. It does not say what to do when the decoration card pile is empty, but I would assume you shuffle the discard.

Quote:

If there are no eligible areas to place the decoration you have essentially forfeited your turn. Luck of the draw I guess.

Quote:
Also why do the rules suggest that there are more cards available for each item than there are cardboard items for them? Since either there should be an increased number of cardboard tokens or equal number of cards. As it serves little purpose to do this other than to limit the options available for later players. Unless the excess cards are discarded in which case it makes sense.

The rules indicate that if you draw a card and there are no more decorations of that type you cannot select the card. My theory is that the decorations are worth a good bit of points, and they want to make it a risk/reward system. You might end up not getting anything by diving into the decoration pile.

Quote:
First Player Token:

There is no need to pass around the First Player Token as all turns are made sequentially after the first. The First Player Token is given out because when the game ends each player should have taken an equal amount of turns, and you need to know who played first to do this. So when the End Game triggers, each player gets one more turn until it comes around to the First Player again.

Hope this helps, and anybody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Ortega
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

As for the decorations.

Card(s) you don't select are to be discarded, yes.

If none of the cards are placable you are forced to place a tile, you don't lose your turn. you lose your turn.

There are more cards than tiles to give more chances to the players to get a set or combos, etc, since the cards are discarded, this do, indeed, more sense than before, also Justin's theory is entirely correct

The first player token doesn't change hands during the game and remains with the player the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wasakakero wrote:
If none of the cards are placable you are forced to place a tile, you don't lose your turn.

Not doubting you Jose but...

Are you sure on this? Yesterday in the KS comments Francesco said "Remember that if you draw cards and you cannot place any decorations, your turn ends and you can't do anything else."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Carruthers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Pat Dolan wrote:
Fabricator wrote:
Buy a Decoration:

You create a discard pile (Page 7: "Cards not chosen are discarded face up near the deck of decoration cards.")

I've been using the setup on Tabletop Simulator which clearly doesn't have an updated rulebook as that line is missing entirely but does clear up some issues.

Pat Dolan wrote:
Fabricator wrote:
Buy a Decoration:

First Player Token:

It remains with the same player. It's only purpose is to ensure that everyone has the same numbers of turns (see the last paragraph on page 10 of the rulebook under "End of Game").

I can see the line you're on about though it does seem slightly vague as it's more talking about how the game ends based on the position of the token rather than how the token itself is placed beyond the initial setup. I think with that one I just have trouble with the wording perhaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Ortega
Venezuela
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
wasakakero wrote:
If none of the cards are placable you are forced to place a tile, you don't lose your turn.

Not doubting you Jose but...

Are you sure on this? Yesterday in the KS comments Francesco said "Remember that if you draw cards and you cannot place any decorations, your turn ends and you can't do anything else."

I'm crazy and played a very older version of the game and forgot this specific change because it never happened in MY games since we changed this, haha, too many things over my head at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Richard K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wasakakero wrote:

Francesco Testini already stated here, that you in fact do lose your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked some of the same questions here and got some official responses back, if it helps!

Rules questions for prototype!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.